What do you think about the proposal?

Agree
4 (66.7%)
Don't agree, the current order is fine!
2 (33.3%)
Different proposal
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Forum organization  (Read 4261 times)

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
Forum organization
« on: January 28, 2016, 04:01:24 pm »
I think the order of the "Highway Data Discussion" boards is suboptimal. It's hard to figure out which board is the right one for posting issues.

I think the first board should be the one about "active" systems with a child board "6-Month+ Outlook" (note: there's a typo, please add blank after "6-Month") and "Old Topics".

The second board should be about "preview systems" with child board "Old Topics".

The third board should be about "Future systems" (in development status or any additional system) with child board "Old Topics".

I think it's important to find the same words (active, preview, devel) which are used on the website itself.

Proposal:

Active Highway Systems
Report highway data errors and changes of active systems to be made immediately.

Preview Highway Systems
Report highway data errors and changes of preview systems to be made before activation.

Future Highway Systems
Report highway data errors and changes of other systems to be made.

Edit: New Proposal:

Active Highway Systems
Report highway data errors and changes of active systems to be made immediately.
Child board: 6 Month Outlook

Preview Highway Systems
Report highway data errors and changes of preview systems to be made before activation.

Future Highway Systems
Notes for additional or in-development systems to be made.

Old Topics
Old, solved topics will be moved to here.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:25:49 pm by michih »

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:09:32 am
Re: Forum organization
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 04:27:55 pm »
Future Highway Systems
Report highway data errors and changes of other systems to be made.

I'd prefer waiting for error reports until the systems are in preview. Many of the in-development systems have placeholder files and other first drafts; we don't need those errors pointed out.
Clinched:

Online oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:03:34 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 04:55:05 pm »
I don't see a need for multiple "Old Topics" boards. CHM's forum just had one. "Old Topics" rarely get resurrected, or need to be searched, so it's OK to dump them all in one place.

Also, "6-Month Outlook" cuts across system types, and so should not be just a child board for Active Highway Systems. For example, it could be the right place to discuss a change likely to be needed post-activation for a system about to be activated. Or the forthcoming CA 11 freeway in San Diego, the first phase of which will affect an active route as well as an in-dev system. As with "Old Topics", one board covering all types of systems seems best, or at least good enough.

I don't mind early comments on my one in-dev system (usaca) if they occur to people without their spending much time, though I'd encourage them not to look for errors until the system's graduated to preview status. I'm also in no hurry to move that discussion here from aaroads, or to do that for usaak until I've addressed Si's comments and am ready to solicit comments from others.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:42:46 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 06:43:33 pm »
I'd prefer waiting for error reports until the systems are in preview. Many of the in-development systems have placeholder files and other first drafts; we don't need those errors pointed out.
I'd love to see someone point out that AH6 Irkutsk has a 1074.04 gap without any waypoints!
I don't see a need for multiple "Old Topics" boards. CHM's forum just had one. "Old Topics" rarely get resurrected, or need to be searched, so it's OK to dump them all in one place.
Agreed
Also, "6-Month Outlook" cuts across system types, and so should not be just a child board for Active Highway Systems. For example, it could be the right place to discuss a change likely to be needed post-activation for a system about to be activated.
Indeed - hopefully there wouldn't be a general expectation that a preview system will be there for 10

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 01:24:34 pm »
I agree about the Old Topics board and errors for future systems. I think the outlook should be a child board of both. Future systems are generally incomplete without any time schedule.

New Proposal:

Active Highway Systems

Preview Highway Systems

Future Highway Systems

Old Topics
Old, solved topics will be moved to here.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 02:26:27 pm »
New Proposal:
Active Highway Systems
Updates to Highway Data is used for this.

Preview Highway Systems
Future Highway Systems
Discussion like this belongs in the respective system (usatx, canab, etc.) thread.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca