Highway Data Discussion > Solved Highway data updates

George Washington Parkway

(1/5) > >>

si404:
I thought I'd make a separate thread for this, with a poll.

Summary: The George Washington Parkway is currently active in usasf, but in preview in usanp. When the National Park highways system is activated, then the 'select freeways' version will be removed. The usasf version does not split at the VA/DC border, while the usanp version does. Which way should we have it?

Complicating factors: northbound has twice the length inside DC compared to southbound. The borders are totally unsigned.

Previous discussion:

--- Quote from: mikeandkristie on May 21, 2018, 04:15:47 pm ---I noticed this today when zooming in on our VA map around DC.  There seems to be two different George Washington Parkways.  They seem to have the same waypoints between I-495 and I-66.  But, then the first one goes on for about another 5 miles while the second ends at DC/VA.  I was wondering what the difference was.

(George Washington Parkway)
.list name:  VA GeoWasPkwy
14.03 miles
Green sign

(George Washington Memorial Parkway (Langley))
.list name:  VA GWMemPkwy
9.05 miles
Brown sign

Mike
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: si404 on May 21, 2018, 04:30:58 pm ---The Green sign one was made a decade ago (and probably not changed since) and is in the active 'Select Named Freeways' system.

The brown sign one was made later and is in the preview 'National Park Highways' system.

The Green one ignores the border and continues on, while the brown one is chopped.

I'm not sure they are even concurrent - the Green one ought to be chopped and synced with the brown one - and when usanp becomes active, removed.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: froggie on May 27, 2018, 10:42:01 am ---The reason for the disparity is because there is a section of the George Washington Parkway that technically is within the District of Columbia.  However, when the select named freeways system was created, it was decided to keep everything on that side of the Potomac River in Virginia for simplicity.

Personally, I think it should still stay that way, but whomever created the National Park Highways lists clearly disagrees with that.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: charliezeb on October 01, 2018, 08:34:49 am ---I drove the stretch of George Washington Memorial Parkway between I-66 and I-495 yesterday, which I believe clinches that road for me. But I just noticed that the part of the road north of VA 400 is also listed in usasf (Select Freeways), albeit with no consideration for the district border (va.geowaspkwy is continuous even though the road runs in DC for a little over a mile). And they're separate files, with no overlap. Don't want to cross-post if I don't have to, but as a newbie I don't know the protocol.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: mapcat on October 01, 2018, 10:09:32 am ---The GW Parkway has been part of usasf for many years, long before usanp was begun. Since it belongs in usanp, the usasf file will be deleted when usanp is promoted to active, but until then, it will exist in both.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: froggie on October 01, 2018, 02:29:25 pm ---^ Also, at the time it was added to usasf, it was decided by TPTB that, for simplicity, everything west of the Potomac's main channel would be considered "Virginia", which enabled it to be added as a single file instead of three.
--- End quote ---

si404:
Personally I'm on the fence - I'm all for pragmatism here, having it in VA, but precident is that we chop such routes. We might fudge the small corner (though don't with the DC Beltway, having a 0.07 miles of bridge in DC, despite no signs saying DC), but this is 1.41 miles (the file follows northbound).

oscar:
How about cloning the usanp files as is, and using them to immediately replace the GWP file in usasf? I think usanp handles GWP better, with appropriate splits where the parkway crosses into and out of DC. One could quibble with the usanp version, but I'm unconvinced it needs revisions.

Jim:
I think we're pretty consistent, possibly to a fault, about breaking up routes across region boundaries, so I voted to split.

michih:
http://travelmapping.net/hb/index.php?units=miles&r=dc.i495

The DC route is currently about 30% in MD according to OSM borders and should be moved. But are they really accurate?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version