User Discussions > Welcome & Notices

HEADS UP: TM and forum migration to new domain and server

(1/7) > >>

Jim:
Much of this has been discussed in some other threads, some of which are in the part of the forum accessible only by site contributors.  So here's a quick update for everyone.

* We are moving TM and this forum to a new physical server and new domain name, travelmapping.net.
* In the process, the mapping engine is changing from Google Maps to Leaflet in response to Google's new terms of use that would expose our project to potential unexpected billing.
* There should be no real downtime for the main site.  You can already access the new instance at travelmapping.net and you are encouraged to start using it now.  The old/existing tm.teresco.org URLs will be redirected there soon.
* When this forum migrates over, there will be a few more steps and there will likely be some downtime.  I hope the old URLs will be able to remain functional, but that might not be possible.

Jim:
If all goes well, I'm going to try the migration tonight (Mon 6/4).  I think it should be mostly seamless but I expect some downtime for the forum while I put it into maintenance mode, take DB backup, move files over, restore the DB, and run one more script.  Hopefully the old URLs will all redirect but I don't promise it will all be perfect.

Jim:
If you are reading this, it means you have successfully connected to the new forum, and I successfully made my first post here.  There are bound to be problems.  Let me know if you see any.

Jim:
I think I've got everything updated and transferred, so new and old URLs will point at the new server (at least once DNS changes finish propagating).  Any tm.teresco.org URL should redirect to the corresponding travelmapping.net URL.  Forum URLs should redirect to forum.travelmapping.net .  I'm sure I've broken some things, so let me know when something looks broken.

If you really want to connect to the old server, you can at tmold.teresco.org for now.  I'll leave it for a few days anyway.

froggie:
Biggest problem I had was not remembering and subsequently resetting my forum password...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version