Author Topic: NJ: I-80 WB at Hainesburg Rd (west of Exit 4)  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 07:50:30 am
NJ: I-80 WB at Hainesburg Rd (west of Exit 4)
« on: July 05, 2018, 07:07:48 pm »
I noticed this RIRO on I-80 WB yesterday, and I saw that there was not a point here.  Should there be?

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 06:11:34 am
Re: NJ: I-80 WB at Hainesburg Rd (west of Exit 4)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 07:50:54 pm »
I would say yes, as that's well away from Exit #4.

On a side note, Exit 1 IMO should also be recentered. 

Also, what about adding this 'U-Turn' here?  While it doesn't look like it goes anywhere, there does seem to be a house there, and maybe a possible 'legal' U-Turn place if there's an accident blocking the road ahead.  EB is a 'ramp' to a Weigh Station there too, but it's a complete interchange there.

One other final thing is that I would correct the label for 'Exit 4' to 4A, as that's how it's posted. https://goo.gl/maps/h53nC1U7F9G2  Especially since the other part of the interchange area is properly labeled as 4B for NJ-94 & US-46.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:59:54 pm by rickmastfan67 »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 02:52:10 am »
I noticed this RIRO on I-80 WB yesterday, and I saw that there was not a point here.  Should there be?
I would say yes, as that's well away from Exit #4.
Also, what about adding this 'U-Turn' here?  While it doesn't look like it goes anywhere, there does seem to be a house there, and maybe a possible 'legal' U-Turn place if there's an accident blocking the road ahead.  EB is a 'ramp' to a Weigh Station there too, but it's a complete interchange there.
As far as labeling goes, what to do here is not explicitly covered in the manual. The closest case I see is:

6A

Two separate interchanges numbered 6. Distinguish them by picking the next available letter suffix for the second interchange. Number the first interchange normally.
...which doesn't perfectly expand to unnumbered interchanges on a road with mileage-based exit numbering.

I'm in favor of, for "Interchanges on [mileage-based] exit-numbered highways", fudging a would-be exit number for unnumbered exits such as this.
Indeed, I talked with Tim via email about what to do re ME I-95 *35, and his solution was that I label it based on its mile marker. This point, now a RIRO signed for the Saco Hotel & Conf. Ctr., corresponds to the Original Exit 5 which officially closed upon the opening of I-195 in the eighties, long before the conversion to mileage-based numbering in 2004.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 03:05:15 am by yakra »
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 06:11:34 am
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 04:54:14 am »
Well, if we're going to 'fudge' exit numbers, I'd suggest the following:

Hainesburg Road -> 3 (the 3.4 MM is right across from it if you look at StreetView)
the 'U-turn' interchange -> 2 (it's exactly right @ MM 2)

=====

But then again, we haven't always 'fudged' exit numbers.  Case in point, take a look @ I-99's file in PA for Skytop (*AthSt) where the expressway ended for awhile when it was only EB US-322/NB US-220 while it was under-construction and they opened the highway up to that point temporarily till it was completely finished in that area.  We kept that label from the two US Highways in the I-99 file.  Should we try to 'fudge' it now, or just leave it as-is?

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 07:50:30 am
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 07:13:30 am »
I previously learned about the fudging of exit numbers when I found a point labeled 168 for the Franconia-Springfield Pkwy (VA 289) interchange with the I-95 HOT Lanes.  There is not an actual Exit 168.

http://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=146.msg981#msg981

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 02:25:53 pm »
Well, if we're going to 'fudge' exit numbers, I'd suggest the following:

Hainesburg Road -> 3 (the 3.4 MM is right across from it if you look at StreetView)
the 'U-turn' interchange -> 2 (it's exactly right @ MM 2)
Agreed. These slot in quite nicely between waypoints 1A and 4.

But then again, we haven't always 'fudged' exit numbers.  Case in point, take a look @ I-99's file in PA for Skytop (*AthSt) where the expressway ended for awhile when it was only EB US-322/NB US-220 while it was under-construction and they opened the highway up to that point temporarily till it was completely finished in that area.  We kept that label from the two US Highways in the I-99 file.  Should we try to 'fudge' it now, or just leave it as-is?
I say leave as-is.
I also see it as a slightly different scenario, with this waypoint never having referred to a numbered exit, instead just an at-grade cross-road intersection...
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:14:53 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 02:45:59 pm »
I think my preference would be to use a regular label, based on a road name, for waypoints that don't correspond to a numbered exit, with a made-up exit number used only as a last resort.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:26:16 pm
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 08:08:55 pm »
I think my preference would be to use a regular label, based on a road name, for waypoints that don't correspond to a numbered exit, with a made-up exit number used only as a last resort.

Agreed. Use the road name (so, "HaiRd"), don't make up an exit number.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 04:22:01 pm »
OK, you've convinced me. :)
If I were to declare that NJ I-80 "is" an exit-numbered highway for purposes of such fudging, and that, say, OK351 "is not", where & how exactly would I draw the line? Meh. Nope.

HaiRd is HaiRd.

The U-Turn interchange should be I-80_U:
Quote from: the manual
Use a _U suffix for interchanges that are nothing more than a U-turn ramp. If more than one is needed for the same highway, use _U1, _U2, etc.

The recently-added 1A waypoint should thus also be relabeled, to OldMineRd.

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 09, 2024, 02:19:30 am
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 03:00:26 pm »
I agree with Yakra here. No need to make up an exit number if the exit doesn't have one.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 01:30:17 pm »
One other final thing is that I would correct the label for 'Exit 4' to 4A, as that's how it's posted. https://goo.gl/maps/h53nC1U7F9G2  Especially since the other part of the interchange area is properly labeled as 4B for NJ-94 & US-46.
https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/2073