Author Topic: NM: NM 500 west of NM 45  (Read 2872 times)

Offline AARoads

• Last Login:January 08, 2024, 08:38:14 am
NM: NM 500 west of NM 45
« on: June 24, 2019, 08:40:13 am »
Just back from a week long trip to Albuquerque, New Mexico. I made it a point to drive most of the ABQ area routes, and conferred with travel mapping before flying out west. One adjustment to be made is with New Mexico State Road 500. Currently the entry on travel mapping shows its original alignment east from NM 45 (Coors Boulevard) to I-25 along Rio Bravo Boulevard. The state road was extended west along Dennis Chavez Boulevard and north along Atriso Vista Boulevard in area mileage swap back in 2010 (per Steve Riner) that also included extending NM 45 north, dropping NM 345 all together and truncating NM 47.

I drove NM 500 a week ago and its marked on guide signs along Interstate 40 at Exit 149 and posted with some reassurance signs west of the old end point at NM 45. The NMDOT function class map lists NM 500 at 12.35 miles in length. Will post photos of the route on AARoads soon showing the signage.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:03:34 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
Re: NM: NM 500 west of NM 45
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 09:18:57 am »
Thanks! I'll follow up once I'm back home from my own road trip.

I'll be criss-crossing NM the next two days, but going nowhere near Albuquerque.

Offline Barefoot Driver

• Last Login:August 27, 2021, 08:23:18 pm
  • always barefoot, wear least possible
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 12:43:26 pm »
Just back from a week long trip to Albuquerque, New Mexico. I made it a point to drive most of the ABQ area routes, and conferred with travel mapping before flying out west. One adjustment to be made is with New Mexico State Road 500. Currently the entry on travel mapping shows its original alignment east from NM 45 (Coors Boulevard) to I-25 along Rio Bravo Boulevard. The state road was extended west along Dennis Chavez Boulevard and north along Atriso Vista Boulevard in area mileage swap back in 2010 (per Steve Riner) that also included extending NM 45 north, dropping NM 345 all together and truncating NM 47.

I drove NM 500 a week ago and its marked on guide signs along Interstate 40 at Exit 149 and posted with some reassurance signs west of the old end point at NM 45. The NMDOT function class map lists NM 500 at 12.35 miles in length. Will post photos of the route on AARoads soon showing the signage.
sorry, i was unsure of how to post this change, which i saw on 06/01 on my trip through the area. when the change is implemented, i can add the piece between unser blvd and coors rd though the piece i was on east of coors is too short to appear (to loris dr sw and into wally world therefrom).
curse nm and their tiny highway segments that change number for no reason!
drive barefoot—it’s safer and more comfortable!
(i am always barefoot.)
my avatar shows the longest interstate and u. s. highways i’ve clinched so far.
whenever possible also, find a new highway to clinch!

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 10:32:49 pm »
I agree with the westward extension of NM 500 to I-40. In my queue.

Before submitting it, I'll browse the rest of the functional class map (thanks for the link!), and catch up on Transportation Commission minutes, to look for other needed updates. A minor change I spotted -- looks like a short truncation of NM 501 in Los Alamos, from its old north end at Ridgeway Dr. to its new end at Sandia Dr.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 11:23:00 am by oscar »

Offline AARoads

• Last Login:January 08, 2024, 08:38:14 am
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 07:25:31 am »
I agree with the westward extension of NM 500 to I-40. In my queue.

Before submitting it, I'll browse the rest of the functional class map (thanks for the link!), and catch up on Transportation Commission minutes, to look for other needed updates. A minor change I spotted -- looks like a short truncation of NM 501 in Los Alamos, from its old north end at Ridgeway Dr. to its new end at Sandia Dr.

YW on the link. Thought that I would add, that as Steve Riner commented to me on FB, the function class map is not 100% accurate unfortunately. It still shows NM 47 extending north through the city of Albuquerque and acknowledges NM 345 along Unser Boulevard. But overall it is still pretty useful.

Steve also commented about combing through the Transportation Commission minutes where he learned about NM 47 being truncated to the south Albuquerque city line. I was wondering where to find additional Transportation Commission notes online, but only found some. If NMDOT has them cataloged somewhere more thoroughly online, I would appreciate knowing where.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 09:40:01 pm »
NM 500 extension is in the HB. However, I'm not yet marking this as solved, since I noticed I'll need to add a point near I-40 for the US 66 Historic route in Albuquerque, plus add the corresponding point to that file.

UPDATE: Above edit made, marking this as a solved topic.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:19:03 pm by oscar »