Author Topic: Stats restricted to systems/regions/etc of interest  (Read 14472 times)

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 16, 2024, 01:40:37 am
Stats restricted to systems/regions/etc of interest
« on: September 30, 2019, 01:39:00 am »
Would there be a way to include the Lincoln Highway in some form? I have a file all ready to go for Iowa, and Illinois is a case of cobbling together segments of existing routes with fine-tuning. It might have to be coded like IA 800 or something, although it shouldn't be counted in a state-route-mileage total. (Nebraska simply slapped the LH on top of existing 30 so it wouldn't be of benefit.)

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:42:46 pm
Re: Stats restricted to systems/regions/etc of interest
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 03:31:27 am »
I did think about the Lincoln Highway and Old National Road being included here. I'm leaning slightly to against, but only slightly.

Thoughts from the floor?

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:35:08 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 04:01:09 am »
Then what about the Great River Road? (Serious Question) - maybe a scenic byways group?
Completed:
* Systems: DC, WI
* by US State: AR: I&; AZ: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I*; NE: I; NJ, I; OH: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI; (AR, IN pending expansions.)

*Previously completed

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 05:39:14 am »
Against.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:37:32 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 07:46:08 am »
I did think about the Lincoln Highway and Old National Road being included here. I'm leaning slightly to against, but only slightly.

Thoughts from the floor?
Against for now.
Clinched:

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 11:21:31 am »

Thoughts from the floor?
Against for now.

Also against.

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:March 26, 2024, 02:31:28 pm
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 12:33:55 pm »
Then what about the Great River Road? (Serious Question) - maybe a scenic byways group?

That sounds like a separate system. The big question is how much of those scenic byways are on roads not already signed as either US or state highways?

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 12:45:30 pm »
^ A fair bit of the Great River Road in Minnesota is on county routes.  Also some city streets in the Twin Cities.

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:22:25 pm
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 12:45:47 pm »
I would support a GRR file somewhere (and even draft the file if desired). In most states it's well signed, and often exists on secondary or county routes. I agree that it doesn't belong in usaush, but it's worth of including somewhere.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:09:10 pm
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 01:41:46 pm »
To me routes like GRR get in line for consideration once we have all state and provincial systems in North America to active status.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 02:50:10 pm »
That sounds like a separate system. The big question is how much of those scenic byways are on roads not already signed as either US or state highways?
Not a huge amount (especially when factoring in usanp and usaush), but there's some bits of All-American Roads that aren't. National Scenic byways is probably a similar proportion, though I haven't looked fully into that.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:08:41 pm
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 09:29:23 pm »
I am against the inclusion of any National Scenic Byways until we are able to implement a site feature that allows users to switch off systems they are not interested in tracking their travels on so they don't show up on maps or in stats.

Once we've got such a feature, go ahead and make systems for anything anyone is willing to draft. But we really should have such a feature before we go cluttering up maps and stats with systems only some people care about (I'd argue usaush and usanp also fall into this category, but those horses have left the barn...)

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 05:56:14 pm »
I am against the inclusion of any National Scenic Byways until we are able to implement a site feature that allows users to switch off systems they are not interested in tracking their travels on so they don't show up on maps or in stats.

Once we've got such a feature, go ahead and make systems for anything anyone is willing to draft. But we really should have such a feature before we go cluttering up maps and stats with systems only some people care about (I'd argue usaush and usanp also fall into this category, but those horses have left the barn...)

Agreed.  Heck, the only reason I got involved in clinching things that aren't interstates is because Tim started drafting US/state routes and added multiplex detection, screwing with my maps/stats.  We seem to be getting involved with more and more niche systems, so some means of dealing with what people do/don't want to worry about is only going to get more important.  I can't possibly be the only person who clinches things just to make the map look good or to get certain region/system combos to 100%.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 08:55:56 pm
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2019, 10:44:59 pm »
I actually agree with having a toggle for systems to track.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 02:30:54 am »
you can do it manually (so you have to do it every time), and only by addition, not subtraction, already.

But something to make it easier would be good!

Anyway, this aside aside...