Author Topic: Australia  (Read 70539 times)

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:26:16 pm
Re: Australia
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2019, 12:52:14 pm »
Moving on down the list to ausa...

AUS-ACT A23:
- OK

AUS-ACT A25:
- OK

AUS-NSW A1Bul:
- KooWa -> KooWay
- CarRd -> HunRd
- RichRd -> RicRd

AUS-NSW A1Cha:
- Short segment "north" of B83 is signed as part of A28.
- B83_S -> B83
- EasRd -> RohSt

AUS-NSW A1Cof:
- T26 -> MacSt
- GraDr -> SolIslWay_Eme

AUS-NSW A1She:
- B65_S -> B65
- PriHwy_Bom -> QuaRd
- NSW9_Kia -> T9_Kia
- could use a couple shaping points between WeirSt and RoseValRd
- NSW7_Ber -> T7_Ber
- +X838 needs to be converted to visible point for B73
- NorRd -> NorSt
- NSW4 -> IslPtRd
- LakeConEntRd -> LakeCorRd
- DolPntRd -> DolPtRd
- NSW7_Bat -> T7_Bat
- NSW7_Mor -> T7_Mor
- HecMcWilDr -> HecMcWDr
- NSW5_N -> T5_N
- NSW5_S -> T5_S
- RivDr_N -> RivDr
- RivDr_S -> DavSt
- NSW9_Ako -> T9_Ako
- NSW9_Pam -> T9_Pam
- NSW/VCT -> NSW/VIC

AUS-NSW A1Syd:
PreAve -> PreAve_E

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 08:55:56 pm
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2019, 04:06:44 am »

AUS-NSW A1Cha:
- Short segment "north" of B83 is signed as part of A28.

Making M1 and A1 discontinuous right there?

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:28:40 pm
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2019, 04:29:23 am »
Making M1 and A1 discontinuous right there?
Think of it as two short spurs to the A28 that we're treating as mainlines as it's easier.

And it's all going to change when NorthConnex opens next year.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2019, 06:19:09 pm »
It's worth noting that if you follow the motorway to its stub end, you are forced to turn left onto southbound A28. A right turn, which would be necessary to get to southbound A1 from there, is not allowed. So to have M1 and A1 actually be continuous you need to either have them both end at the point where Pacific Highway and pacific Motorway cross (leaving the connections to A28/B83 unmapped), or treat the whole thing as one big junction.

Neither is really an ideal solution. But there's no hard rule that says M1 and A1 have to be perfectly continuous. So, clipping off the last segment of A1 that is currently mapped as concurrent with A28 and allowing the two to be discontinuous is what is most consistent with the signage present.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2019, 05:55:27 pm »
AUS-NSW A2:
- OK

AUS-NSW A3:
- could use a couple more shaping points around the north end
- remove A44 point (no direct connection available, only overpass)
- relocate MarRd point to center of interchange
- JunoPar -> JunoPde? ("Pde" is the official abbreviation of "Parade": https://meteor.aihw.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/270020)

AUS-NSW A4:
- M1 -> CahExp
- TheCre -> TheCres? (official abbreviation for "Crescent")
- add a point for WestConnext tunnel ramps (east of FreSt)
- GtNorRd -> GreNorRd

AUS-NSW A6:
- KisPntRd -> KisPtRd

AUS-NSW A8:
- OK

AUS-NSW A9:
- note construction around West Sydney Airport site. This section will need revision once realignment opens.
- M1 -> M31

AUS-NSW A15:
- LonSt -> T7
- OllSt -> T17
- OConRd -> OCoRd? Assuming that O'Blah should be treated the same as McBlah minus the apostraphe.
- DukeSt -> T19/T21
- GooGooRd -> GooGooRd_N

AUS-NSW A15New:
- OK

AUS-NSW A20:
- OK

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2019, 05:48:44 am »
- remove A44 point (no direct connection available, only overpass)
- relocate MarRd point to center of interchange
It does seem strangely signed like that. I was treating it as two interchanges that overlapped, it seems to be treated as one weird one and so I'll implement the changes.

It is signed, unambiguously as A3 from the A44. I believe Marlborough Road to be part of the A3 (though signage says different things different years) in the form of ramps, auxiliary carriageways or something. Thus I'm not changing that point.
- JunoPar -> JunoPde? ("Pde" is the official abbreviation of "Parade": https://meteor.aihw.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/270020)
- TheCre -> TheCres? (official abbreviation for "Crescent")
- GtNorRd -> GreNorRd
Are we using countries' specific abbreviations? The only place I gather we are using non-US abbreviations is Quebec. Everywhere else is either US ones, or the truncate to three letters default for everything.

Also, 'Gt' is the standard abbreviation for Great in Australia, England and the like. If we enlarge Cre to Cres, we should shrink Gre to Gt.

Currently I've kept Par, Cre, and changed to Gre.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2019, 11:32:07 am »
Are we using countries' specific abbreviations? The only place I gather we are using non-US abbreviations is Quebec. Everywhere else is either US ones, or the truncate to three letters default for everything.

Quoth the manual:
Abbreviate the generic road type (Rd for Road, Blvd for Boulevard, etc.) if it's one of the very common types. Otherwise, use the first three letters: Uli for Ulica.

This is of course open to interpretation as to what constitutes "one of the very common types". I would tend to want to favor standard abbreviations in cases where an English-language standard abbreviation exists.

Note though that there is no specific rule that it be the US abbreviation. Indeed we already deviate from USPS standards by using "Tpk" instead of "Tpke" (though both are in common use in the US).

Regarding the two specific generics at hand here:
- There is no US-standard abbreviation for "Parade". "Pde" is the Australian standard.
- "Cres" is the standard abbreviation for Crescent both in Australia and in the US.

Also, 'Gt' is the standard abbreviation for Great in Australia, England and the like. If we enlarge Cre to Cres, we should shrink Gre to Gt.

A slightly different issue since "Great" is a word in the road name, not the generic suffix. Nonetheless, there is precedent for using standard abbreviations in the road name ("Cyn", "Crk", "Mt", etc.), so... fair point.

Come to think of it I'm pretty sure I've seen "Gt" used as an abbreviation for "Great" even here in the US, it just rarely comes up since use of that word in formal names is far less common.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2019, 11:38:17 am »
Note though that there is no specific rule that it be the US abbreviation.
True, but I'm pretty sure I was told to just do three letters for road types in France, rather than use their abbrevs, and our source for abbrevs was the USPS (though there are exceptions from that).

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2019, 01:42:20 pm »
changed to Gre.

Gt is also currently used 11x in ENG, NZL and SCT:

https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/search?q=gt&unscoped_q=gt (please ignore chm_final)

btw: I respect the US abbreviations like Rd, St, Fry,... but I generally prefer the 3-letter default rule*  We might add a list with exceptions to our manual !?

*Rte for canmbw route names is another story - I have no strong feeling here...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 01:44:21 pm by michih »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2019, 03:13:35 pm »
I think if we respect USPS standard abbreviations for the United States, it only makes sense to allow similar in other countries.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2019, 04:56:51 pm »
AUS-NSW A22:
- should east end be at Abercrombie St? Note that at Harris/Regent the cross street is simply "Broadway": https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.8826771,151.2014896,3a,52.5y,146h,103.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssIWBs9DZQkjtgjzFwJiVdQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
But from Abercrombie A22 is mentioned, going west only: https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.8852554,151.1986749,3a,35.8y,345.25h,103.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sho57CWVWBFt6XwociQQT0A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
- LivRd -> TheBlvd (could also use a shaping point west of here)

AUS-NSW A25:
-McIntCir -> McICir

AUS-NSW A28:
- OK

AUS-NSW A32:
- LauMall -> LeuMall
- JenCavRd -> T1_E
- LitSt -> T1_W
- GilSt -> T3
- add point at Burrendong Way in Orange for T5_S
- BurWay -> T5_N
- WhiWay -> YouSt (could also use a recenter)
- CanRd -> RosRd
- NSW10 -> BelRd

AUS-NSW A34:
- OK

AUS-NSW A36:
- OK

AUS-NSW A37:
- OK

AUS-NSW A38:
- OK

AUS-NSW A39:
- could use a shaping point near the north end (or a visible point at GunWay) to keep trace on NSW side of state border
- DalSt -> T1_N
- TooRd -> T1_S
- JugRd -> JugLn
- WirRd needs to be recentered
- MntTalRd -> MtTalRd

AUS-NSW A40:
- KisPntRd -> KisPtRd

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2019, 07:17:07 pm »
So, regarding the status of Northern Territory routes... Google Maps may still show a mismosh of the old and new systems, and OSM may not really help clarify anything by showing only numbers with no prefixes of any sort. But, I don't think "mishmosh" is really the current reality on the ground. Wherever there is Street View imagery from within the last ~5 years shows, the old system is rarely still in place.

Ergo, some things within NT are going to need to be shuffled around. For many of the less major roads, new signage simply refers to them by name only and does not give them a number at all... though it's possible some of these weren't signed to begin with.

Here's what I've found for the various routes that are labeled Nxx or NTxx within the HB:
- N1 -> part of A1
- N66 -> as of November 2018 is inconsistently signed as either N66 or NT66. Probably leave this alone for now.
- N80 -> C80 at west end, not signed at east end
- N87 -> A87
- N96 -> B96

- NT2 -> not signed
- NT3 -> ? (no recent street view)
- NT4 -> ? (no recent street view)
- NT5 -> ? (no recent street view)
- NT6 -> not signed
- NT8 -> ? (no recent street view)
- NT11 -> ? (no recent street view)
- NT12 -> ? (no recent street view)
- NT14 -> ? (no recent street view)
- NT16 -> not signed
- NT20 -> B20
- NT21 -> A21 at south end, B21 at north end
- NT23 -> not signed at south end or in middle, signed as just "23" with no prefix or shield at north end. Okay.... probably leave this one out.
- NT24 -> not signed
- NT28 -> not signed
- NT30 -> not signed
- NT34 -> B34
- NT36 -> A36

Also, while I'm here....

AUS-NSW A41:
- MntMacRd -> MtMacRd
- PorMntRd -> PorMtRd
- +X417313 could be replaced by a visible point at Bendick Murrell Rd
- in Young and Cootamundra, the route makes a couple turns that are not points, but other nearby intersections are points. Matter of opinion but I'd suggest the places where the route turns should be the first place points go.

AUS-NSW A43:
- NewEndHwy_W -> NewEngHwy_W
- MaiRd -> CesRd
- PitRd -> MelSt
- B63_N, B63_S, and B63 need to be relabeled so all have some suffix. Either A, B, C or location based.

AUS-NSW A44:
- GipSt could use a recentering

AUS-NSW A48:
- TerSr -> T8_E
- JamMtnRd -> T9
- CaaSt -> T15_Rob
- add T8/T15 point at Pearsons Lane
- NowRd -> T15_MosE
- ArgSt -> T15_Mos
- WalSt -> WaiSt

AUS-NSW A49:
- GriClo -> GriRd

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2019, 01:24:44 pm »
AUS-VIC A10 has endpoints at M1(27) and M1(35)
For AUS-VIC M1, OSM shows exit numbers west of W19. I haven't checked to see if these are signed.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2019, 06:45:52 pm »
For AUS-VIC M1, OSM shows exit numbers west of W19. I haven't checked to see if these are signed.

GMSV says 19 is the highest signed exit number heading west. I checked this when I was QCing ausm. Imagery is from February 2018 so it's possible this has changed within the past 22 months, but we have no confirmation of this.

At any rate, any thoughts on moving/adding routes in the Northern Territory as I described above? I've paused my review of ausa until this is addressed because it needs to be firmed up which routes need reviewing.