Author Topic: OK: US 66-adjacent things  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 16, 2024, 01:40:37 am
OK: US 66-adjacent things
« on: August 30, 2019, 02:09:54 am »
Mostly, anyway.

OK US 64: US81_N and _S: Add US 60? By lower number, should be 60/81_E and 60/81_W but is what's there good enough?

OK US 66 Erick: Why does it stop where it does? Why not connect to TX 30 and I-40?

OK US 66 Weatherford: Again, wondering about the abrupt stop for the east end. I would encourage extending this to join El Reno's Hist 66.

OK US 283/I-40 BL Sayre: Maybe add point at El Dorado Avenue for those following 66 (as I did, but I spun south to hit the ramps and came back).

OK OK 58 (Medicine Park): Fun with frontage roads! NB 58 is signed on the north frontage (i.e. 66) while SB 58 is signed on the south frontage. Are the halves of the interchange far enough apart that they should be split (into 88A and 88B I guess)? Also if Hist 66 is extended this route would need to change to match.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:50:23 am
Re: OK: US 66-adjacent things
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 04:56:20 am »
OK US 66 Erick: Why does it stop where it does? Why not connect to TX 30 and I-40?

OK US 66 Weatherford: Again, wondering about the abrupt stop for the east end. I would encourage extending this to join El Reno's Hist 66.
A lack of explicit signage. The westernmost sign in OK for US66 is where it leaves the Erick I-40BL - there's nothing in or around Texola to extend it further than the next point after the reassurance shield. There's nothing at the US281 area to connect Weatherford and El Reno sections together, AFAICS.

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 01:10:42 pm »
I suppose our point of disagreement here is in "intrinsically obvious" vs. "not explicitly signed."

Such is the nature of many historic routes.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:50:23 am
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 04:50:47 am »
I suppose our point of disagreement here is in "intrinsically obvious" vs. "not explicitly signed."

Such is the nature of many historic routes.
I wholeheartedly agree. I'm very much sympathetic to your view. I really did try to justify linking sections, but couldn't do it with the rules on signage I'd set up for the system to limit it to just be signed bits rather than every Tom, Dick and Harry bit of former US highway that people wanted adding.

With the US281 discontinuity, there's 4 TOTSOs (which arguably isn't "intrinsically obvious"), and only one sign, for Historic US66 - and the sign is a shield confirming the route heading east rather than directional signage explaining turns. But other unsigned extensions that would link up sections are less extreme.

@yakra - it's your region and thus your call. Ditto for TX as there's some there.

And I guess I've done it with the Santa Fe section in NM - that perhaps should be split in 3 or 4 bits, especially at the interstate concurrencies! When I get Spain out of my system, lets get the ball rolling on sorting out usaush.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 04:57:30 am by si404 »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 11:46:52 am »
OK US 64: US81_N and _S: Add US 60? By lower number, should be 60/81_E and 60/81_W but is what's there good enough?
If I were drafting this now, I'd probably use US60_W & US60_E. But, ehh.... good enough?

OK US 283/I-40 BL Sayre: Maybe add point at El Dorado Avenue for those following 66 (as I did, but I spun south to hit the ramps and came back).
Forgive me while I split hairs...
Historically, it looks like the connection was made at what's now Thunderbird Dr. Of course, even that intersection was slightly doglegged, cutting out some of the curvature of the original roadway... What path, of those available today, best approximates the real historic route? Or, what path are travelers going to know about and be likely to use? OSM & Google show El Dorado & the connection thereto in a darker color, with Google even marking El Dorado as "Rte 66"...
Where to put it...

OK OK 58 (Medicine Park): Fun with frontage roads! NB 58 is signed on the north frontage (i.e. 66) while SB 58 is signed on the south frontage. Are the halves of the interchange far enough apart that they should be split (into 88A and 88B I guess)? Also if Hist 66 is extended this route would need to change to match.
IIRC This got some discussion a while back, maybe in the USAUSH thread. For interchange halves centered at the I-40 centerline & crossroads, I get 0.49 mi, even if I move the waypoints a bit farther apart than they'd normally be. Works out nicely in that a point in the center of our OK-58 "couplet" system matches the center of the I-40 interchange, and we get a graph connection. US66HisWea, on just the N frontage rd, is the odd one out here.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 12:39:12 am »
Forgive me while I split hairs...
Historically, it looks like the connection was made at what's now Thunderbird Dr. Of course, even that intersection was slightly doglegged, cutting out some of the curvature of the original roadway... What path, of those available today, best approximates the real historic route? Or, what path are travelers going to know about and be likely to use? OSM & Google show El Dorado & the connection thereto in a darker color, with Google even marking El Dorado as "Rte 66"...
Where to put it...
I ended up adding it at Thunderbird. That's what'sin Okladot's US66 shapefiles FWIW.
Looking at it some more, the original curvature does look like it touched down closer to El Dorado... ::)
Highway63, if El Dorado is the point you'd actually need, I'll change it to that.
Also added in a similar point just shy of the E end. Couldn't find a modern name; went with OldUS66.

IIRC This got some discussion a while back, maybe in the USAUSH thread. For interchange halves centered at the I-40 centerline & crossroads, I get 0.49 mi, even if I move the waypoints a bit farther apart than they'd normally be. Works out nicely in that a point in the center of our OK-58 "couplet" system matches the center of the I-40 interchange, and we get a graph connection. US66HisWea, on just the N frontage rd, is the odd one out here.
Grumble. Despite the above explanation, the commit made by Oklahoma's maintainer was reverted.  >:( Restored.
Added a point to OK58Med at old 66, so we get an indirect graph connection that way.

https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/4797
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 01:31:40 am »
I don't need a point there, because I traveled to I-40 to make sure I got the whole loop. Someone else might, though.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 03:12:13 am »
Good`nuf!