Author Topic: eurtr: Europe select Tourist and Scenic Routes  (Read 27426 times)

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
Re: Europe select Tourist and Scenic Routes (eurtr)
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 01:28:12 pm »
Righto, I'll settle for that. :)
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline panda80

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 29, 2024, 07:57:27 am
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 04:13:09 am »
Deutsche Alpenstrasse would be a good candidate to have here. It's signed all the way with brown signs and it's pretty well known. It also goes over some roads that are not clinchable now so it will be nice to have.

https://www.deutsche-alpenstrasse.de/en/home

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 02:07:05 pm »
@panda: I've already drafted GTS (Grand Tour of Switzerland) and tried to find out more info about routes from https://www.ferienstrassen.info/. In general, all routes should be signed and I think that most are really signed well, minimum the routes I travel on occasion. There are some routes quite close to my home and they are all with brown signs. There seem to be some exceptions with non-brown signs. I travel the "Route of indulgence" almost daily and this route is NOT signed AFAIK.

I cannot check GSV because it's not available in Germany. That the closest route to my home is not signed makes me struggling. Should I really trust the source and add all routes?

In addition, some routes have short branches (1..2km) to villages next to the main route. Should I also add them?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 02:10:02 pm by michih »

Offline panda80

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2018, 03:49:34 am »
@panda: I've already drafted GTS (Grand Tour of Switzerland) and tried to find out more info about routes from https://www.ferienstrassen.info/. In general, all routes should be signed and I think that most are really signed well, minimum the routes I travel on occasion. There are some routes quite close to my home and they are all with brown signs. There seem to be some exceptions with non-brown signs. I travel the "Route of indulgence" almost daily and this route is NOT signed AFAIK.

I cannot check GSV because it's not available in Germany. That the closest route to my home is not signed makes me struggling. Should I really trust the source and add all routes?

In addition, some routes have short branches (1..2km) to villages next to the main route. Should I also add them?

Don't know what to say...I would maybe add the most known routes, which have already some tradition, first? For Germany it would be Alpenstrasse, Alleenstraße, Romantische Straße, Glasstraße. I would also add branches, and name them after the main location where the branch goes.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:42:46 pm
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 06:34:10 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marguerite_route <- Danish equivalent to the Grand Tour of Switzerland route, signed with Marguerite flowers (wiki link given as it links to several sources).

When it comes to branches, the Wild Atlantic Way has theoretically tons, but without recent GMSV, I cannot tell how well signed they are. With the absorbed tourist routes still signed, AFAICS, the major branches are covered.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 03:51:03 pm »
Don't know what to say...I would maybe add the most known routes, which have already some tradition, first? For Germany it would be Alpenstrasse, Alleenstraße, Romantische Straße, Glasstraße. I would also add branches, and name them after the main location where the branch goes.

I wanna activate the German tier 5 systems first to minimize trouble with concurrent (tourist) routes when tweaking waypoints et cetera. Afterwards I'll think about it. Reviewing (own) systems is pain in the a** and I need to draft anything parallel. That means, Romania first :) It might take another year...

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 11:04:19 am »

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2019, 10:05:59 am »
Finnish National Routes:
http://www.rantatie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Suomen-matkailutiet-kartalla.pdf

I don't know if Norwegian, Swedish and Russian sections of the Blue Road are signed (tbh, the NOR/SWE bit is just Rv/E12). But the Norwegian and Swedish sections of the Northern Lights Route are, so I added those.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 11:04:09 am »
I've drafted two German routes in Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria:
Romantische Straße (RomStr) - Romantic Route - source
Weinstraße Taubertal (WeinStrTau) - Wine Route River Tauber Valley - source - should be in HB with next site update

I've renamed all wps of existing routes from other systems for district and local roads to RomStr where RomStr intersects them like I did for MR in Denmark which is fine.
However, WeinStrTau is partially concurrent to RomStr and I would need to rename RomStr to RomStr/WeinStrTau to be consistent. Many German tourist routes are partially concurrent to each other. This policy would be insane...

Should I keep district and local road names? Any thoughts?

I've added "important" branches but not every tiny one especially when it's concurrent to routes already in HB. Objections?

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 02:37:37 pm »
Bertha Benz Momorial Route added - route of the first car road trip ever! :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertha_Benz_Memorial_Route

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 08:34:32 am »
I've renamed all wps of existing routes from other systems for district and local roads to RomStr where RomStr intersects them like I did for MR in Denmark which is fine.
However, WeinStrTau is partially concurrent to RomStr and I would need to rename RomStr to RomStr/WeinStrTau to be consistent. Many German tourist routes are partially concurrent to each other. This policy would be insane...

I generally have kept local names, but I can see why you have taken your approach. I'd suggest keeping stuff simple - just give one name. This is consistent with policy on numbered routes where we don't give all of them if we have two already, due to making the labels too long - and, as RomStr is as long as I-80/90 or whatever, just having the 1 named road makes sense.

Plus there's a rule about <roadname>/<roadname> labels - eg when a route turns from 2nd Street to 11th Avenue with both continuing, the label is <either road name>_<relevant direction>.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 11:04:13 am »
I agree with Si -- Just one roadname in the label, no slash.

I know that in North American tourist/scenic systems, such as usaush or cannsf, local road names were used instead of "highway names" -- E.G., MainSt_Wea instead of US66His_E. Not to say this means you have to do things any one particular way in Europe; this is just how things were done in one place...
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 02:09:26 pm »
Thanks :) I think I'll keep "local names" and only use TSR names in Germany if there is no other appropriate label name. Not sure whether I wanna undone RomStr route name changes.....

Offline panda80

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2019, 01:59:54 am »
I would need a WP on Romantische Straße, in Scheuring, at the intersection with Landsberger Straße. Thank you.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2019, 03:38:21 am »
http://travelmapping.net/hb?r=fin.vkktiesav has a duplicate label "VaaTie" which cannot be used by travelers.