Author Topic: Potential system: Massachusetts DCR parkways  (Read 4711 times)

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:22:25 pm
Potential system: Massachusetts DCR parkways
« on: January 17, 2020, 06:03:09 pm »
This would be a system similar to usanyp, except that there are probably more urban ones than in New York. The Boston-area parkways form an interconnected network.

https://gis.massdot.state.ma.us/roadinventory/ can be used to determine who maintains what roads (but there are some issues with the rendering; e.g. US 3 is not DCR through Arlington). https://www.mass.gov/doc/dcr-parkways-designated-as-snow-emergency-arteries/download looks like a decent list to start with. https://www.mass.gov/guides/dcr-street-sweeping includes individual maps of many of them that allow parking and https://www.mass.gov/service-details/dcr-winter-storm-plan-and-priority-map may be a more comprehensive list.

Maybe there's a way to narrow them down.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
Re: Potential system: Massachusetts DCR parkways
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 02:25:30 am »
No.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:March 26, 2024, 02:31:28 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 06:48:27 am »
Double no.

Offline cl94

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:39:09 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 11:08:41 pm »
Why no? I don't see the major DCR parkways as being particularly different from the unsigned NY parkways.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:08:41 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 11:23:21 pm »
Why no? I don't see the major DCR parkways as being particularly different from the unsigned NY parkways.

Significance. Should one need to drive all these roads to claim a full clinch of MA? I don't think so. As for how it's different than NY...

Most NY Parkways are actual freeways or at least expressways. Most DCR parkways are not.
Most NY Parkways are signed with shields. DCR parkways are not.

I don't see the two as being remotely comparable.

Offline cl94

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:39:09 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 12:07:33 am »

A key word here is "most". Some of the NY parkways included in the system are low-speed surface roads with no shield. See: Shore Front Parkway, the remainder of West River Parkway. Those are functionally equivalent to the DCR parkways.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:08:41 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 08:11:29 pm »

A key word here is "most". Some of the NY parkways included in the system are low-speed surface roads with no shield. See: Shore Front Parkway, the remainder of West River Parkway. Those are functionally equivalent to the DCR parkways.

...both roads which I have argued should not be in usanyp for this exact reason.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 03:58:34 pm »
And then there's usanp; those routes aren't signed with shields either, so there's precedent for including name-only parkways in TM.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 04:00:39 pm by vdeane »
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:March 26, 2024, 02:31:28 pm
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 07:13:30 pm »

...both roads which I have argued should not be in usanyp for this exact reason.

Isn't the general rule that if a route is not signed, it excluded from the HB? All the time I see posts asking for a route to be removed because it's unsigned.

It's one thing to have an occasional exception to the unsigned route "rule." It's quite another to consider adding an entire system, small or not, without route marking signs. Seems like a bad precedent to set.

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 09, 2024, 02:19:30 am
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 09:30:29 pm »
Yeah, if none of these roads are signed routes, this system shouldn't be added. As for usanp, those are more important and often are continuations of state and US routes.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 07:46:23 pm »
Been considering cutting usanyp back to just a "select" system, of only routes with shields. That system's been largely on the backburner though.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:09:10 pm
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 07:53:06 pm »
Been considering cutting usanyp back to just a "select" system, of only routes with shields. That system's been largely on the backburner though.

No rush on responding to this, but are there many that would qualify that aren't already in usasf?

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 01:02:40 pm »

No rush on responding to this, but are there many that would qualify that aren't already in usasf?
Bear Mountain Parkway, Bethpage State Parkway, Jackie Robinson Parkway, Korean War Veterans Parkway, Loop Parkway, Mosholu Parkway, Niagara Scenic Parkway, Ocean Parkway (Long Island), and Seven Lakes Drive.  Wikipedia also shows a shield for the Lake Welch Parkway, but I couldn't find one in street view.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.