Author Topic: usanp (U.S. National Park Highways)  (Read 53816 times)

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
usanp (U.S. National Park Highways)
« on: April 24, 2016, 09:45:25 am »
Starting this thread mainly to bring forth a couple issues I've noticed with this system in DC.  Given the lack of mileage showing up in the highway browser, I'm guessing this system is still in development.

First, on the Rock Creek Pkwy list, the southern endpoint should be labeled LinMemCir.  There's an extra "c" in the draft version that's in TM.

Second, and impacting 3 of the 4 lists, is that the city quadrant is very prominent in DC signage, waymaking, and usage.  Because of this, they should have been included.  This doesn't affect the GW Pkwy list, but it does affect the other three.  In the case of the Suitland Pkwy list, the western endpoint should be "SCapSt", as the South is very prominent in that streetname to distinguish it from North Capitol St and East Capitol St.

I'm guessing from the lack of their inclusion that Oscar did not draft these lists.

(EDIT)  Also, for the Crystal City segment of the GW Pkwy, the southern terminus is actually at First St in Old Town Alexandria, not at Dangerfield Island.  A waypoint should be added at Slaters Ln.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 09:48:20 am by froggie »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
Re: usanp (U.S. National Park Highways)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 11:33:57 am »
This looks like a case (i'm not checking out the lists here) of following the CHM/TM standard of ignoring directional specifiers ("N. 6th St becomes 6thSt. 33rd Avenue SW becomes 33rdAve.") unless needed to differentiate otherwise identical labels.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:03:34 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 11:40:33 am »
I'm guessing from the lack of their inclusion that Oscar did not draft these lists.

My main contributions to usanp are in California, largely to move some mileage there from usaca.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:42:46 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 08:18:15 am »
This looks like a case (i'm not checking out the lists here) of following the CHM/TM standard of ignoring directional specifiers ("N. 6th St becomes 6thSt. 33rd Avenue SW becomes 33rdAve.") unless needed to differentiate otherwise identical labels.
Exactly that.

I'll make the changes.

Offline bhemphill

• Last Login:February 09, 2022, 04:21:48 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 05:39:50 pm »
In Kentucky at Mammoth Cave National Park, both Kentucky 70 and 255 are not mapped within the park.  So I would guess this would be a case of those routes cut off by a National Park that should be included.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 10:15:34 am »
Big bump - I'm looking at getting the ball rolling on this system again. I've added the Mammoth Cave routes.

Are there other routes that need to be added? Criteria are:
1) a missing gap in an existing system (eg Mammoth Cave, California Routes, Yellowstone)
2) a specific NPS unit for the road (eg Natchez Trace, Blue Ridge, George Washington Memorial and Baltimore-Washington Parkways)
3) a through route linking roads already in (eg Painted Canyon Road)
4) an extension of an existing system into a park
5) roads that seem important enough and link with other roads - even if they dead-end

AFAICS, US441 in Great Smoky Mountains NP is part of US441, just badly signed. I've added the Gatlinburg Bypass though. Grand Canyon NP seems correct now (US180 ending at the gate, AZ64 and AZ67 signed through the park albeit maintained by the NPS rather than AZDOT)

PS - old thread on AA Roads: http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=16772.0

Offline CharlotteAllisonCDTG

• Last Login:June 28, 2021, 06:49:02 am
  • Transgender Lesbian and Traveler
    • My Wikipedia User Page
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 01:57:43 pm »
Just to let you know, the Gatlinburg Bypass is actually US 441 Bypass (just unsigned).
Completely clinched:  I-24, I-35W (MN), I-97, I-124, I-126, I-155 (MO-TN), I-190 (SD), I-195 (MD), I-240 (NC), I-295 (FL), I-375 (MI), I-516, I-520, I-526, I-564, I-585, I-640, I-675 (GA), I-895A, US 178, US 276

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:35:08 pm
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 12:07:24 am »
Denali Park Rd (AK) - though beyond mile 14 only bus, bike, foot allowed
Completed:
* Systems: DC, WI
* by US State: AR: I&; AZ: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I*; NE: I; NJ, I; OH: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI; (AR, IN pending expansions.)

*Previously completed

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 07:28:50 am »
In CA, at least the main road through Joshua Tree NP, and perhaps the spur to I-10. Badwate Rd. in Death Valley NP connecting CA 178 and CA 190, Scotty's Castle Rd. connecting CA 190 to NV 267, and perhaps Daylignt Pass Rd. between CA 190 and NV 374 (this would include a short segment in the NV part of the park). Perhaps also the road to Devil's Postpile, extending past the west end of CA 203, though like the road in Denali NP in Alaska is heavily restricted for private motor vehicles, and is in a national monument rather than an NP.

Offline mapmikey

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:58:32 pm
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 10:33:21 am »
Some suggestions...

CO: Mesa Verde NP road
ME:  cadillac Mtn Summit Rd...?  very popular to go see the sunrise and sunsets up there
MT: the road from MT 49 to Two Medicine area of Glacier NP
NC:  road from BRP to Craggy Gardens?
NC/TN: road to Clingmans Dome?
SD: road through Badlands NP (SD 240 is not posted in the park although SD 377 is.)

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:35:08 pm
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 10:55:33 am »
Chain of Craters Rd and Crater Rim Drive - Hawaii Volcanoes NP
Sunrise Rd - Mt Rainier NP (WA)
Completed:
* Systems: DC, WI
* by US State: AR: I&; AZ: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I*; NE: I; NJ, I; OH: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI; (AR, IN pending expansions.)

*Previously completed

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 10:23:00 pm »
Also in HI, on Maui the part of Haleakala Crater Road (to the summit) that isn't in HI 378.

Haleakala NP has an important road in its coastal unit, but it's part of CR 31, and isolated from the state route system. Both of the roads SSOWorld mentions in Hawaii Volcanoes NP connect to HI 11, though volcano goddess Madame Pele severed Chain of Crater's connection to HI 130 and may nibble away some more at what's left.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:38:25 am
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 10:58:51 pm »
Some suggestions...

SD: road through Badlands NP (SD 240 is not posted in the park although SD 377 is.)
North SD 377 is signed TO SD 240, so it's implied. I've lived West River for a long time, and never felt like 240 was discontinuous like the Yellowstone routes.
Plus, the official route logs have 240 continuous through the park. Here:
 http://www.sddot.com/transportation/highways/planning/pavement/Default.aspx

The only other park roads that would be close to "important enough" in SD are the Jewel Cave entrance road and the Wind Cave cutoff road where the visitor center is... but I'm not really sure they're important enough to be in the system.

However, the Devils Tower road in WY should be (if Monuments count, that is), because it's an implied continuation of WY 110 (some maps even have WY 110 continuing into the park though that's not the case). Other potential WY ones would be the Grand Teton NP main road (Teton Park Road) and the Moose-Wilson Road (connecting to WY 390).

The only ones I can see in ND would be the Scenic Loop Drive in the south unit of Theodore Roosevelt and the Scenic Drive in the north unit.

Also, since the other scenic drives in Utah are in, the Capitol Reef one should be in as well.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 11:13:42 pm by the_spui_ninja »
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 08:55:56 pm
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 11:47:49 pm »
I wouldn't mind if Pacific Ave through Medora, ND (old US 10) and East River Rd and Scenic Loop Dr through Theodore Roosevelt NP (South Unit) were added... ;)
(I think Scenic Loop Dr in the North Unit should be added as well)

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 11:58:41 am »
Denali Park Rd (AK) - though beyond mile 14 only bus, bike, foot allowed
done
In CA, at least the main road through Joshua Tree NP, and perhaps the spur to I-10.
done and done
Badwate Rd. in Death Valley NP connecting CA 178 and CA 190, Scotty's Castle Rd. connecting CA 190 to NV 267, and perhaps Daylignt Pass Rd. between CA 190 and NV 374 (this would include a short segment in the NV part of the park).
Done, done and done
Perhaps also the road to Devil's Postpile, extending past the west end of CA 203, though like the road in Denali NP in Alaska is heavily restricted for private motor vehicles, and is in a national monument rather than an NP.
Done. It's not in a National Monument - it's in a National Forest, but I've pretended it's in the National Monument when it comes to names.
CO: Mesa Verde NP road
Actually had a file for this
ME:  cadillac Mtn Summit Rd...?  very popular to go see the sunrise and sunsets up there
done
MT: the road from MT 49 to Two Medicine area of Glacier NP
done
NC:  road from BRP to Craggy Gardens?
I couldn't find the road (I found Craggy Gardens and it seems to be pretty much directly on the BRP)
NC/TN: road to Clingmans Dome?
done - that one loves crossing the border, so it's in 6 pieces!