Author Topic: Summer Priorities  (Read 10494 times)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:09:10 pm
Summer Priorities
« on: May 02, 2017, 05:19:50 pm »
My summer window of opportunity to do some TM development is almost here.  I have plenty of ideas for enhancements and plenty of known problems that need attention, but I'm interested in hearing what all of you think should get some higher priority attention.  I already know that I need to have a good chunk of my time focused on my related educational project, since that is how I can justify my ongoing efforts on TM in general, and I even have a small amount of funding to support it for the first time.  But I also plan to do some TM-specific work that doesn't directly benefit the educational project.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 07:49:54 am by Jim »

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:09:32 am
Re: Summer Proirities
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 07:49:27 pm »
Congratulations on making it through another semester. I know the feeling (my last final was today and everything's graded). And congratulations on the grant!

In no particular order, here are some things I hope you might try to tackle first:

Sorting of routes by mileage or clinched percentage

List of travelers who have traveled a system/region

New waypoint editor

Top Stats

Easier way to change default map colors for systems
Clinched:

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 08:55:56 pm
Re: Summer Proirities
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 02:26:56 am »
On the Oregon side, I hope to fix the I-84/US 30 and I-5/OR 99 concurrency issues that the last Oregon update introduced (sorry, easily distracted by non-TM things :(), then work on the >OR 90 routes.
After that, start developing the (internal) Oregon Highway system to remove the non-signed Routes (that SHOULD be signed per ODOT) from the active system and map out the differences between the Highway and Route systems.

Hopefully all sooner than later.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:42:46 pm
Re: Summer Priorities
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 01:20:55 pm »
A couple of small fixes on the stats -
1) instead of 'Miles Driven' and 'Routes Driven' it should be more mode-neutral 'Miles Traveled' and 'Routes Traveled'.
2) the ability to show figures in kilometres should be given.

Something I would find incredibly useful is the option to show intersecting routes.

Offline julmac

• Last Login:February 18, 2024, 02:44:15 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 12:58:10 am »
A couple of small fixes on the stats -
1) instead of 'Miles Driven' and 'Routes Driven' it should be more mode-neutral 'Miles Traveled' and 'Routes Traveled'.
2) the ability to show figures in kilometres should be given.

Something I would find incredibly useful is the option to show intersecting routes.

The column title should probably be unit-neutral as well. "Length Traveled" was used in CHM with the ability to toggle between km and mi. below. Or the unit toggle could be in a more global position.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 01:40:09 am »
• ability to flag NMP FPs in NMP files, E.G.
tx.geobushtpk@RenRd 32.997075 -96.67089 FP
tx.tx190@RenRd 32.997075 -96.670891 FP

• ability to display NMP FPs in the HDX with an alternate icon, E.G. a small yellow check-mark
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 05:49:42 am »
Thanks. I think we have three categories. Each category has it's own priority for me.

A. Data processing bugs

Data processing is the base for data displayed in stats. I think the highest priority is having correct data. There are still some issues, e.g.:
- Overall rankings show "TBD"
- HB: Incorrect values in % column (traveled)

B. Features for users

1. km/mile conversion
Already started

2. Move domain name to travelmapping.net
Is it still planned? I have no problem with tm.teresco.org but we should establish travelmapping.net as soon as possible if we ever wanna do it.

3. Better way to select countries and regions:
 * multi-region countries
 * More accessible list or drop down box to select regions
 * First step is already done

4. Open Highway Browser for specific routes from the map
I generally don't like the way how we do it now. I usually open the map of one or more regions displaying my data to see if my latest trip contains any new segment or I plan some detours for my next trip because of untraveled gaps.

5. Top Stats

6. List of travelers who have traveled a system/region

7. Better way to show update entry changes

8. Front page design
I think this might be done in combination with moving the domain name. If that's not planned now, my priority is quite low.

I have more ideas how we could design the "highway browser" or let's say "how to eliminate the HB" to make the handling easier but I think it's a way too far right now.

C. Features for developers

1. Automated update
- Minimum goal is that a contributor can check that the submitted (highway) data is correct and won't fail the next (manual) site update.
- Maximum goal is that an user sents an updated list file and the site is automatically updated

2. HDX integration
- File selection for graphs and NMP
- I wish that it would have the same code like the site itself. Every fix must be done twice, e.g. scroll bars are again visible in HDX etc.

3. Data check NMP
- Display errors on the site like other data checks
- Integrate "nmpfps.log" to "datacheckfps.csv"

4. Waypoint editor
Low priority right now but if CHM would be down one day, this would get the highest priority! Maybe we should do a first step?

5. Instruction Manual / "Rules"
Would get a high priority if CHM would be down one day. I think we should minimum "save the text" so that we don't have to start from scratch.

Of course, there are more minor issues reported on Github which might have less effort to be fixed.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 04:01:23 am by michih »

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 16, 2024, 01:40:37 am
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 03:31:19 pm »
When you go to a list of highways in a system - e.g. USAUS - and then click on a route that is in multiple states, it will give the per-state clinched/percentage but does not have an overall total for that route. Is that something that can be added?

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 06:19:42 pm »
When you go to a list of highways in a system - e.g. USAUS - and then click on a route that is in multiple states, it will give the per-state clinched/percentage but does not have an overall total for that route. Is that something that can be added?

That sounds useful to me.  Can you give me an example of a URL that has the list but not the totals?  I'm not always good at clicking around to find all of the ways to view our data.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:09:32 am
Clinched:

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 08:08:25 pm »
http://tm.teresco.org/user/mapview.php?u=mapcat&rte=I-25

I opened a GitHub issue to remind me (or, hopefully, other web front end volunteers) about this idea.

https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/issues/174

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 05:57:01 pm »
4. Waypoint editor
Low priority right now but if CHM would be down one day, this would get the highest priority! Maybe we should do a first step?
Definitely.  I decided to look at my CHM page recently just for fun and code on that site is already starting to break.  I wouldn't count on it being around forever.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 05:57:42 pm »
4. Waypoint editor
Definitely.  I decided to look at my CHM page recently just for fun and stuff on that site is already starting to break.  I wouldn't count on it being around forever.

EDIT: dammit, wanted to hit modify instead of quote and didn't notice.  Mod fix?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 10:26:22 pm »
Didn't we already have a makeshift waypoint editor somewhere around here?

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 12:26:47 pm »
Didn't we already have a makeshift waypoint editor somewhere around here?

http://tm.teresco.org/wptedit/wptedit.html

Yes, a first step - even with km/mi conversion - but I don't think that it can already be used. I've tried to import a route but it didn't work.

I thought about a more advanced "first step": useable but not yet 100% user-friendly/all wishes implemented.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 12:29:15 pm by michih »