Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Other Discussion / Re: usanyb: New York Scenic Byways
« Last post by Jim on April 14, 2024, 06:00:58 pm »
A few quick thoughts:

- I agree that the New York Scenic Byways, if added, would make sense as something like usanysb, not part of usatr since they don't span multiple regions.
- The routes being poorly-defined would be a good reason not to add them.  They seem well signed in the places I've seen them, but I haven't been on all that many.  But if we'd have to be hunting for signs in person or on street view, that's not great.  The spurs don't sound fun, either.
- Causing people to lose 100% clinches in regions is not a good reason not to add something.  People have many reasons to plot their travels in TM.  Yes, some want to see 100% come up in the stats.  Others (like me) are more interested in tracking where I've been, and the more routes that make sense to be included, the happier I am.  The "I swear, if you make me drive all the way out to far eastern Long Island again" comment actually worries me.  I hope no one feels obligated to go anywhere they don't want to go just because a route is added to or is updated in this project.
In-progress Highway Systems & Work / Re: usatr: United States select tourist routes
« Last post by Duke87 on April 14, 2024, 05:23:29 pm »
I noticed something interesting in Maryland on the National Road.  There's a point west of Baltimore where MD 144 ends in the middle of a National Road segment that doesn't have a point on the National Road.

It's a hidden point on NatRd, so concurrency detection will still work. This is because there's no intersection there, that section of MD 144 ends at the county line.

I thought this system was going to be mainly multi-state routes, not getting down into the weeds of what every state considers a scenic byway?

There is no officially defined scope at this point. I had suggested this upthread precisely because I don't like that level of getting down into the weeds either, but it is still open for discussion.
In-progress Highway Systems & Work / Re: usatr: United States select tourist routes
« Last post by vdeane on April 14, 2024, 05:03:24 pm »
I noticed something interesting in Maryland on the National Road.  There's a point west of Baltimore where MD 144 ends in the middle of a National Road segment that doesn't have a point on the National Road.

I'd be interested to see what's not already covered from the routes in New York Scenic Byways: https://www.dot.ny.gov/display/programs/scenic-byways/lists

I'm guessing its going to be similar to what @neroute2 found for All-American Roads, that it would be almost all concurrent with routes we already have.

I thought this system was going to be mainly multi-state routes, not getting down into the weeds of what every state considers a scenic byway?  And unfortunately I'm unaware of any GIS-based map of these things that would make it easy to pin down exact alignments.  There's also the fact that many of these aren't traditional routes that go from point A to point B... they branch and have spurs all over the place (ugh).

There is a surprisingly large amount of scenic byway mileage in NY that isn't concurrent with the touring route system.  I swear, if you make me drive all the way out to far eastern Long Island again... looks like I'm losing my 100% of NY for the next several years at this rate.
OH LinHwyAsh leaves US 42 thru Windsor (west end).
LCT in West Point KY

It seems to simply use US 31W Bus thru town (south end).
Other Discussion / usanyb: New York Scenic Byways
« Last post by Jim on April 14, 2024, 03:36:39 pm »
I'd be interested to see what's not already covered from the routes in New York Scenic Byways: https://www.dot.ny.gov/display/programs/scenic-byways/lists

I'm guessing its going to be similar to what @neroute2 found for All-American Roads, that it would be almost all concurrent with routes we already have.

Looking thru all the All-American Roads for possible additions:
A1A Scenic & Historic Coastal Byway: not covered by existing systems on an old alignment at St. Augustine Beach
Acadia All-American Road: all covered
Alaska Marine Highway: lol
Beartooth Highway: all covered
Blue Ridge Parkway: already in usanp
Chesapeake Country Scenic Byway: all covered
Chinook Scenic Byway: all covered
Colonial Parkway: already in usanp
Creole Nature Trail: not covered by existing systems on a piece west of Oak Grove
Door County Coastal Byway: all covered
Flaming Gorge - Green River Basin Scenic Byway: all covered
Florida Keys Scenic Highway: all covered
George Washington Memorial Parkway: already in usanp
Great River Road: mapped
Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway: not covered by existing systems on some branches, which are at least partially signed
Hells Canyon Scenic Byway: not covered by existing systems on NF 39
Historic Columbia River Highway: already in usaush and usaus
Historic National Road: mapped
Historic Route 66: already in usaush
International Selkirk Loop: mapped
Lakes to Locks Passage: not covered by existing systems on a piece south of Rouses Point and former NY 314 (unsigned branch?)
Las Vegas Strip: not covered by existing systems; may be unsigned
Lincoln Highway Scenic & History Byway: Nebraska needs to be checked if any of this is signed
Natchez Trace Parkway: already in usanp
Newfound Gap Road Byway: all covered
North Shore Scenic Drive: all covered
Northwest Passage Scenic Byway: all covered
Pacific Coast Scenic Byway - Oregon: all covered
Red Rock Scenic Byway: all covered
Route 1 - Big Sur Coast Highway: all covered
Route 1 - San Luis Obispo North Coast Byway: all covered
San Juan Skyway: all covered
Scenic Byway 12: all covered
Selma to Montgomery March Byway: not covered by existing systems in Montgomery; it is signed
Seward Highway: all covered
Trail Ridge Road/Beaver Meadow Road: all covered
Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway: mapped
Woodward Avenue (M-1) - Automotive Heritage Trail: not covered by existing systems in downtown Detroit

None of these jump out at me as must-haves.
« Last post by mapcat on April 14, 2024, 11:22:04 am »
In Indiana, ORSB and LCTrl both have a point in Clarksville that is probably in the wrong spot. BroStaWay_E should mark the turn at Randolph Ave instead of North Clark Blvd.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10