Author Topic: How would I be able to make a website similar to this?  (Read 5540 times)

Offline Ib3kii

• Milwaukeye
  • Last Login:January 12, 2023, 02:02:21 pm
  • I want to be the first one to collect them all!
    • Travel Mapping User Page
How would I be able to make a website similar to this?
« on: December 27, 2016, 09:52:15 pm »
I am a hardcore biker and wanted to make a similar website to this one, except instead of roads it would be the U.S. Bike Route system. I am having trouble finding where to start, and I also would like to know how I can make the website with a similar style to this one(I seem to like this style of clinching). So my big question is: How would I be able to make a website similar to this one? Thank you so much for all of your help!
-The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step... on the gas.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 08:55:56 pm
Re: How would I be able to make a website similar to this?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 01:49:05 am »
There was some discussion as to where this site could go in the future, and rail was an option. Certainly if that's a direction we end up going, adding the US BRS could be something we could look into. That may be something that may save you a lot of backend work, as it'd keep everything under one roof, so to speak.

Offline Ib3kii

• Milwaukeye
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 02:13:46 am »
There was some discussion as to where this site could go in the future, and rail was an option. Certainly if that's a direction we end up going, adding the US BRS could be something we could look into. That may be something that may save you a lot of backend work, as it'd keep everything under one roof, so to speak.
That is an idea, however I like to think of Travel Mapping as a driving and highway website, and I believe that adding bicycle routes to this website would be a major tangent. Also, I am currently already creating a map(via Google Maps) containing all of the current, official USBRs in the country, so in terms of work, I am not too worried about it. Plus, I'm on winter break so I have many free days to pull out a few hours. Thank you for the information.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:14:53 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 09:23:14 am »
Making your own version of a similar site is a months-long process and requires a lot of experience in programming (Python, JS, PHP), database, system administration, etc.  TM had the advantage of building off the old CHM code and data I had the advantage of some pretty extensive experience with this stuff when I developed my educational tools based off CHM.  Even so it was still a major undertaking, and far from complete even now.

I assume instead you'd like to create a site that leverages TM's existing code base, tailored for bike routes.  You're more than welcome to do so, but you'll need a Unix-like system (MacOS, Linux, FreeBSD definitely work, not sure about Windows with a command-line extension) to run site updates, and a web server with Apache, MySQL, and shell access.  Everything I use to keep TM running is in GitHub. I'd recommend trying to get your site up as a clone of TM first then replace the highway-based data and list files with corresponding bike-based ones.

From the perspective of TM, I'd hope you'd do anything like this as a fork of the TM GitHub repositories so any new code you develop (maybe new mapping or statistics capabilities) that might be useful to the mainline TM could easily be contributed back.

Offline Ib3kii

• Milwaukeye
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 12:06:23 am »
I'd recommend trying to get your site up as a clone of TM first then replace the highway-based data and list files with corresponding bike-based ones.
Do you, by any chance, know how to clone the website? Do I use GitHub? I just made an account and have ran through the basics of GitHub.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 11:42:35 am »
I'd recommend trying to get your site up as a clone of TM first then replace the highway-based data and list files with corresponding bike-based ones.
Do you, by any chance, know how to clone the website? Do I use GitHub? I just made an account and have ran through the basics of GitHub.

You can clone the TravelMapping/Web repository to your local computer and then copy the files up to your web server.  Of course, that won't do you much good without a copy of the database, which is generated by the things in DataProcessing using data from HighwayData and UserData.

Offline Ib3kii

• Milwaukeye
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 05:38:00 pm »
Okay, I understand. Would I just need to clone Web, HighwayData, and UserData, or would I need to clone everything(e.g. EduTools, DataProcessing,and MapGeneration)?

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 11:05:24 pm »
That is an idea, however I like to think of Travel Mapping as a driving and highway website,

The main reason why we named it Travel Mapping was so that we could branch into other modes besides "driving and highways".  And adding the USBRS was one thing on my to-do list (probably in a couple years), once the main US road systems were finished and we'd gotten transit systems started.

Offline Ib3kii

• Milwaukeye
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 11:17:46 pm »
And adding the USBRS was one thing on my to-do list (probably in a couple years), once the main US road systems were finished and we'd gotten transit systems started.
Hmm... I have already gotten most of the code for the new site ready. I am getting ready to start making changes(Which I have not done yet), so if you would like me to abort the new site from being created, please let me know as I still haven't made anything final yet.

Offline Ib3kii

• Milwaukeye
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 11:22:50 pm »
Actually, now that I have a much greater experience with setting up routes and systems, I could take a stab at the USBR system, if that isn't troublesome.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 11:28:35 pm »
Okay, I understand. Would I just need to clone Web, HighwayData, and UserData, or would I need to clone everything(e.g. EduTools, DataProcessing,and MapGeneration)?

DataProcessing is needed to generate the .sql file that will populate the DB for the web tools.