Author Topic: What is a .list file?  (Read 9292 times)

Offline lakewy17

• Last Login:April 04, 2021, 08:05:34 pm
What is a .list file?
« on: September 08, 2018, 07:19:21 pm »
I am looking to get started, but I can't figure out how to make a .list file on Mac. It's not one of the file type options in TextEdit, and Google hasn't been any help. Can someone help me get started?

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:09:10 pm
Re: What is a .list file?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 07:29:57 pm »
I am looking to get started, but I can't figure out how to make a .list file on Mac. It's not one of the file type options in TextEdit, and Google hasn't been any help. Can someone help me get started?

It just matters that it's plain text.  It's OK if you save it as .list.txt as I can change that to have the correct .list extension when I save it for addition to the system.

The big problem is that Microsoft and Apple are so insistent on hiding file extensions from people and refusing to create/open documents with other extensions that many people aren't even aware of their existence.

Offline lakewy17

• Last Login:April 04, 2021, 08:05:34 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 07:34:40 pm »
Awesome. Thanks for the quick response!

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:44:01 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 03:03:07 am »
We refer th the old CHM here:

To use the system, build a ".list" file showing the segments you've traveled on the highways we've included in the project.  This process is substantially the same as it was in CHM.  CHM's process is described at http://cmap.m-plex.com/docs/getstarted.php.  Please refer to that until we get our own instruction manual up, but note the following changes:

1. Choose an alphanumeric username.
Use only lowercase English letters (a-z), numbers (0-9), and underscores (_) in your username, and keep the name at or under 15 characters long. Avoid capital letters, characters with diacritical marks, and characters from other alphabets; otherwise your file will not be processed.

2. Make a plain text file.
Name the file username.list, replacing username with the username you chose. For example, if you choose the name "highwayguy", name your file "highwayguy.list".

But it starts with something outdated. Uppercase letters are also supported. I think we are not limited to 15 characters since we have minimum 1 with 16 and 2 with 17 characters.

Not sure if more details are also outdated.