Author Topic: NE 2 Bus Grand Island  (Read 7769 times)

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:35:08 pm
NE 2 Bus Grand Island
« on: August 22, 2017, 10:31:40 pm »
Is this supposed to be marked?

I admit that I only saw the road from US-30 southward, but I'm concerned that we have either an unsigned route or a route that should be deleted.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:00:42 pm by yakra »
Completed:
* Systems: DC, WI
* by US State: AR: I&; AZ: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I*; NE: I; NJ, I; OH: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI; (AR, IN pending expansions.)

*Previously completed

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:47:31 am
Re: NE 2 Bus Grand Island
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 11:04:32 pm »
I also did not notice any signs for it between US 30 and US 34.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 02:14:43 pm »
Seems this may be a local, not state, designation. It's not shown on the city map.
I have vague memories from when I drafted this route of signage being less than completely complete.
These local bannered routes have long been a sticking point. NY tr*ck routes, for example...
I might check out GMSV and see what I can see, though it's a low priority.
I've let vestigial routes hang around for less...
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 01:38:28 pm
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 10:50:35 pm »
I don't think Nebraska has any official business loops outside of Nebraska City; they seem to discourage them. E.g., I don't remember seeing any signs (okay maybe 1 or 2) for the BLs in Fremont when I went through there two years ago.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 12:53:22 am »
I'd idly wondered about the one in Nebraska City as well. I wanted to recheck the Log Book and see if there was actually any mention of it there, but Nebraska DOT has reorganized their website, and I haven't found it yet, if it's still there. I have a copy of the 2008 edition saved on my other computer, which no mention of either NE2 business route.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline bhemphill

• Last Login:February 09, 2022, 04:21:48 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 01:04:00 am »
When I went through Grand Island in 2014, the route was signed almost exclusively at the turns if I remember correctly.  So there would have only been the one sign northbound between US30 and US34 and none southbound on that stretch at that time.

The BLs in Fremont didn't have very many reassurance markers at that time either, mostly just enough to keep you on the route.  I did question if I missed a turn when going through there.

Nebraska City had a couple of reassurance markers on the part I travelled last August.  The mainline indicated the turn, even though it was under construction and the bridge was out on NE2 Business.

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:March 26, 2024, 02:31:28 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 06:24:20 am »
Nebraska City had a couple of reassurance markers on the part I travelled last August.  The mainline indicated the turn, even though it was under construction and the bridge was out on NE2 Business.

That bridge is still out in Nebraska City.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 10:35:47 pm »
I'd idly wondered about the one in Nebraska City as well. I wanted to recheck the Log Book and see if there was actually any mention of it there, but Nebraska DOT has reorganized their website, and I haven't found it yet, if it's still there. I have a copy of the 2008 edition saved on my other computer, which no mention of either NE2 business route.
I think the Nebraska City BLs have signage from the main routes; I'll be in the area in a few weeks so I can check then.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 12:56:27 am »
GMSV shows clear signage along US75BusNeb and NE2BusNeb, from the main routes, and at one another.

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:35:08 pm
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 09:26:42 am »
As of 2012. (and based on comment above 2014)  That's 5(3) years ago.  Sorry I couldn't get a clear pic of it from now.  Jim- Do you have an recollection?

If it is signed just at the ends - how are we to prove what the current routing is?  Keep in mind a business route doesn't necessarily follow a former routing.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 09:28:47 am by SSOWorld »
Completed:
* Systems: DC, WI
* by US State: AR: I&; AZ: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I*; NE: I; NJ, I; OH: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI; (AR, IN pending expansions.)

*Previously completed

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:47:31 am
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 09:29:28 am »
The Nebraska City BLs were clearly marked when I drove through there in 2015:

http://www.teresco.org/pics/omahatonaples-20150722-24/22/roads.html

But, I haven't been into Nebraska City since.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 02:51:57 pm »
As of 2012. (and based on comment above 2014)  That's 5(3) years ago.  Sorry I couldn't get a clear pic of it from now.  Jim- Do you have an recollection?

If it is signed just at the ends - how are we to prove what the current routing is?  Keep in mind a business route doesn't necessarily follow a former routing.
The Nebraska City BLs were clearly marked when I drove through there in 2015:

http://www.teresco.org/pics/omahatonaples-20150722-24/22/roads.html

But, I haven't been into Nebraska City since.
If they're city maintained (i.e. unofficial), it's likely that the signs will stay up until they rust away; I think those two are safe.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 02:18:48 am »
Grand Island:
I checked out GMSV and saw what I could see.
Most recent imagery is from 2012 unless otherwise specified.

Westbound:
NE2 proper @ Locust St (2011)
Locust St @ Walnut St
Walnut St @ 2nd St (WB US30)
2nd St @ Eddy St (2012) (2015). This does kinda make me wonder a bit.
Eddy St @ Broadwell Ave
Broadwell Ave @ Old Hwy 2. Ambiguous: is that a missing TO or a missing BUSINESS?

Eastbound:
No signage at the western terminus, or the turn onto Broadwell Ave.
Broadwell Ave @ Eddy St
Eddy St @ 1st St (EB US30)
1st St @ Walnut St
Walnut St @ Locust St (2009)  This is the closest to a reassurance marker we get; there's not really any other road here that could be mistaken for NE2Bus. It's been several years though; maybe this was gone by the time Jim passed thru, or perhaps he just didn't see it.

Aside from the poor signage at the west end, this is clear enough to leave the route in, IMO.
OTOH, at the one point where I found imagery newer than 2012, the NE2Bus sign had been removed by 2015.
On the third hand, does that have to do with the road closure & reconstruction?
This may be one to keep an eye on...

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 02:09:29 pm »
Broadwell Ave @ Old Hwy 2. Ambiguous: is that a missing TO or a missing BUSINESS?
It's probably an old sign from before the bypass was built around the west side of town; no one bothered to do anything with it.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 09:47:45 pm »
From before 1977?