Author Topic: eurtr: Europe select Tourist and Scenic Routes  (Read 27464 times)

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:37:32 pm
eurtr: Europe select Tourist and Scenic Routes
« on: July 27, 2016, 11:20:27 pm »
Where did they go? We had some for England and Scotland, and they seem to have disappeared.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 03:17:40 am by michih »
Clinched:

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:09:10 pm
Re: GB Tourist Routes
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 11:59:18 pm »
There's an error in the system from a recent change, and while traveling, I have only had the chance to run quick site updates and haven't investigated.  Once that error is fixed, the system will return.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:42:46 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 03:14:37 am »
I've fixed the issue

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:37:32 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 07:44:25 am »
Thanks!
Clinched:

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 12:28:18 pm »
Posting a few sources (almost all the others are ones I've spotted in the field, or someone else has, and then I've followed the routes on GMSV to see if they are signed).

England

Northern Ireland

Scotland

Wales

Crown Dependencies
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 01:08:33 pm by si404 »

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:44:01 pm
Re: Europe select Tourist and Scenic Routes (eurtr)
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 02:29:37 am »
I've renamed the thread because the system was renamed (and it's currently commented due to some errors).

So, what's the condition for routes?

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 12:11:43 pm »
Signed, preferably in brown (though special symbols like the Wild Atlantic Way's \/\/\/\/ (WAW) waves would count), seems reasonable.

I'm likely going to purge the one-way tours (eg Kent and Sperrins), little forest drives along tracks, and connect-the-dots circles (eg Black-and-White tour, which links villages with black-and-white houses). But at the moment, I'm leaving them in until I've made sure they are well documented elsewhere.

I'll leave it to you whether the lower Saxony Asparagus route is a valid entrant - it's a circular connect-the-dots style theme route, but it's also one of those Ferienstraße  that have some official status like Scotland's National Tourist Routes, or Norway's, etc.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 02:03:19 pm »
I don't wanna add anything from German-speaking countries just because GSV is not published. I have no evidence that they are signed and I really don't know the correct routing. I tried to find info about exact routing of Austria "Erlebnisstraßen" 2 years ago but couldn't find reliable data... Most German routes (there are a lot!) are concurrent with routes which are already in HB.

I'd still love to add Alps passes or Felbertauern Straße but they are not signed in brown or anything similar.

The poll recently got another vote and adding eurap+eursor is no.1 now. I really don't know.....

Offline panda80

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 29, 2024, 07:57:27 am
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 03:32:32 am »
The scenic routes seem to have again disappeared. A good place to start if you want to map the routes for DACH can be https://www.ferienstrassen.info. Even if for Germany a big chunk of the routes are already mappable (B or St/L roads) there are still some stretches over some kreis roads, which are not going to be in the system anytime soon.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 03:38:34 am by panda80 »

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:09:10 pm
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 08:03:31 am »
Some errors were introduced into that system and I didn't have time last night to track them down and fix them, so I temporarily removed that system from to be able to get a site update to run to completion.  They'll be back on the next site update after fixes are made.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
Isle of Man: imn.ttcir endpoints
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 02:37:56 am »
Start and Finish aren't proper endpoint labels. Words of 5+ letters get truncated to 3 letters, but beyond that, WEnd & EEnd would probably be preferred per the manual.

Weird case here -- why the begin/end where there's no actual road junction?

Edit: Full region name for non-North American regions
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 02:44:27 am by michih »
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
Re: Isle of Man: imn.ttcir endpoints
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 02:45:50 am »
It seems to work but I fully agree that it's not according to "our (inofficial) rules" and I don't like it (the latter doesn't mean that it's forbidden).

btw: eurtr is a preview system. Should be merged with http://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=367
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 02:49:31 am by michih »

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
Re: Isle of Man: imn.ttcir endpoints
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 04:16:05 am »
Weird case here -- why the begin/end where there's no actual road junction?
Because there's big grandstand, markings and all that there making clear that its the start/end of a lap - having the route begin/end anywhere else would be silly.

Yes the non-standard labels are not ideal, but 'WEnd' and 'EEnd' for two points in the same place on a one-way circular route seems dumb, especially as one direction is explicitly a beginning.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 05:01:52 am »
Because there's big grandstand, markings and all that there making clear that its the start/end of a lap - having the route begin/end anywhere else would be silly.
Figured it was something about like that. :D Here's one in my backyard.

Yes the non-standard labels are not ideal, but 'WEnd' and 'EEnd' for two points in the same place on a one-way circular route seems dumb, especially as one direction is explicitly a beginning.
Foo_W & Foo_E, or Foo_S & Foo_N, follow in the tradition of naming duplicate endpoints on circular routes... case study: TX TXLp8. Picture the route as a loop of string, that you unroll & straighten out, keeping the opposite point on the loop in place. Voici your S & N, or W & E ends. From there, I just went to the manual's guidance on non-intersection endpoints: search "In the rarer case of this situation applying to both ends of a highway"...
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 08:12:36 am »
I've gone with Gra_W and Gra_E (Gra for Grandstand)