Author Topic: NOR: OsloKriMot (Oslo -Kristiansand Motorvei (Kristiansand)) E18/E39 concurrency  (Read 2588 times)

Offline bhemphill

• Last Login:February 09, 2022, 04:21:48 pm
I travelled both E39 and E18 marking both, but the concurrency checking says I have a gap on the motorway, since the point on E18 indicating the start is on the bridge over the roundabout that takes E39 to the ferry from the highway.  Does E18 really end in the middle of the highway and not connect with E39, even though the signs seem to indicate that it flows from one to the other?  Are drivers really expected to hop over the barrier on the side of the bridge and jump down to the road below to go from E18 to E39?  CHM seems to have this area mapped for E18 and E39 the way the I remember seeing it in the area last month, which is the way signs are seen in GMSV.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 05:15:26 pm
the point on E18 indicating the start is on the bridge over the roundabout that takes E39 to the ferry from the highway.
Engage brain! The point is at the roundabout, therefore the E18 ends there, rather than on the overpass above it!
Does E18 really end in the middle of the highway and not connect with E39, even though the signs seem to indicate that it flows from one to the other?
Of course they connect - at the roundabout! There's also the overpass that links the two, but isn't part of either by CHM's/TM's criteria.
Are drivers really expected to hop over the barrier on the side of the bridge and jump down to the road below to go from E18 to E39?
No as the two meet at the roundabout, which is bypassed by the bridge...
CHM seems to have this area mapped for E18 and E39 the way the I remember seeing it in the area last month, which is the way signs are seen in GMSV.
The way CHM (which I did) mapped it didn't fit the signs, or the official mapping I found when making the norrv system, hence the change.

Offline bhemphill

• Last Login:February 09, 2022, 04:21:48 pm
I didn't think of E18 being routed on the ramps to the east, since the point there seemed like it was on the motorway on the high bridge and not in the roundabout there.  What signs/official mapping did you find?  I looked at several maps (Statens vegvesen, OSM, Michelin, Google, Bing, Mapquest, Yahoo, Yandex, Visit Norway, Here WeGo) and each indicated that E18 is on the high bridge.  I also found http://www.vegvesen.no/_attachment/688111/binary/1014145?fast_title=Planbeskrivelse+E39+Gartnerl%C3%B8kka%E2%80%93Meieriet+%28NB%21+23+MB%29.pdf which is a planning document for the replacement of the roads in the area to make it better for traffic flow into the future.  On page 20, it talks about how E18 comes out of the tunnel and crosses the high bridge, while local traffic takes the ramps.  This routing is also confirmed on page 23.  On page 25, it talks about how in the fall of 2013 the high bridge was made into 2 lanes eastbound and one westbound and no shoulders.  It says that E18 went down the ramps prior to this modification of the lanes, so that must be when it was moved to not go to the roundabout to meet E39.  I know this is just a planning document in the early phases of what they want to do for improving and replacing the roads, but the little bit of what has been done so far to try to relieve the congestion and the current description of the routes seems to indicate that the old routing is what is in the highway browser now.  I know this is just for the public discussion phase of the planning, so it will be a while before they do construction and routes will change along the way.  I didn't go through and have Google translate all 106 pages, since my knowledge of Norwegian is non-existent, so there could easily be more relevant information about the routes in question that I did miss.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:02:21 pm
I think something was recently changed: https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/776/commits/6134d91b7fe3071945718e4947083ece463c3b6f.

@bhemphill: If it's fine now, please press the "TOPIC SOLVED" button. Thanks.