Author Topic: Secondary/alt/temp list files  (Read 5455 times)

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 16, 2024, 01:40:37 am
Secondary/alt/temp list files
« on: September 08, 2018, 12:20:45 pm »
I was thinking about creating a second list file for myself. This one would only show the interstates that I had been on but was not the driver. It wouldn't have to be a permanent thing, just lasting on the website long enough for me to get the information. I might periodically update it once I drive some of those stretches.

Would it be more efficient to simply make a NEW .list file, send it to Jim, catch it after the upload, and then re-send the old, complete one?

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:09:10 pm
Re: Secondary/alt/temp list files
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 03:49:09 pm »
Just send in one under a second username.  I think we have a few users doing that.  For example, there's dgolub and golubcar.

There has been some thought to having a category of list files for things like this that aren't included in the rankings, but for now I see no harm in sending in and maintaining a second file.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 02:51:33 am »
I often read about the wish to distinguish routes traveled by driver or passenger. Maybe there could be an option to indicate it in the list file?

For instance:
Code: [Select]
# Traveled as driver:
AUT A1 100 123
# Traveled as passenger:
AUT A1 123 160 P

However, I guess we had to modify site code at many locations (data processing, web).

Is there interest in having the option?

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 03:03:12 am »
I'm not in favor.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:07:54 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 07:32:51 am »
Me neither, to me it is clinched whether you are a driver, passenger, walker, biker, etc.  I prefer just having multiple list files if someone wants to do that.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 08:08:17 am »
I don't see us doing anything other than having a second category of list files where someone could see their own maps and stats for a second/alt/temp/fake list but those aren't in the rankings.  I think the changes to support that are pretty straightforward (thinking a second directory for such lists, and those users have a flag set in the site update process, that flag becomes a DB field, and all SQL code that is involved with rankings ignores user lists with that field set).  It just hasn't gotten to a high priority for implementation.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:09:32 am
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 09:38:04 am »
thinking a second directory for such lists, and those users have a flag set in the site update process
Call the alt list "mapcat.list2"?
Clinched:

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 10:21:41 am »
No, second directory. E.g. "alt_list_files" instead of "list_files".

btw: I don't wanna differ my travels as driver or passenger. I just tried to find a way for what I think other users are looking for.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 11:08:11 am »
Here's my quick summary of the situation.

For now, anyone who wants such a list can just send one in/create one in GitHub with any available name.  Submit 10 different ones if you want.  Doesn't matter to me.  If and when you don't want it anymore, let me know and I can remove it.

Maybe some day, we'll have a way to indicate that certain lists should not be included in rankings and percentages of routes/segments traveled/clinched.  That day is unlikely to come any time soon as I don't see that as a very high priority.

The one thing I'd like to avoid at least until "some day" comes is having totally fictional lists, like one with all of the Interstates clinched or all of the roads in Norway clinched, or something like that, just to see their list at #1 in the rankings.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:09:32 am
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 01:37:21 pm »
No, second directory. E.g. "alt_list_files" instead of "list_files".

You misunderstood: I was suggesting using the .list2 extension instead of the .list extension as a way of flagging a list file as an alternate. Or some other extension if .list2 can't be used for some reason.
Clinched:

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 09, 2024, 02:19:30 am
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 01:12:47 pm »
Me neither, to me it is clinched whether you are a driver, passenger, walker, biker, etc.  I prefer just having multiple list files if someone wants to do that.

I agree. Personally, I don't include routes that I clinched more than ten years ago because I was to young to remember the route or what the roads looked like.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 02:16:12 pm »