Author Topic: NY 109: East/West?  (Read 1875 times)

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
NY 109: East/West?
« on: October 07, 2021, 06:27:39 pm »
While the reference markers match the point order on TM, the signs on NY 109 all have it as an east-west road.  I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble to flip all the points, but I figured I'd mention it in case it is.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
Re: NY 109: East/West?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 11:32:47 pm »
I guess S->N & W->E are how things are usually done in the US regardless of how things are inventoried or mileposted (an exception being routes with numbered exits), yeah?
In my states I know there's the Scarborough Connector and Maine Turnpike Approach Rd...
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 06:11:34 am
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 02:59:40 am »
(an exception being routes with numbered exits)

ON-417 says hi!

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 09:57:41 am »
LOL Arnprior
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:24:33 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 10:20:03 am »
LOL Arnprior

Which I drove through a few days ago, on ON 417.

BTW, I noticed nothing requiring any changes. That includes 417's east-to-west waypoint and exit number order -- something I've done in my states for highways with no exit numbers, most notably AK 2 and AK 8, and HI 11 and HI 19.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 10:55:34 am »
Holding off on flipping waypoint order pending further discussion.

When I checked the manual yesterday, I didn't find what was looking for, but how about this?
https://travelmapping.net/devel/manual/sysnew.php#develop (see the "Waypoint order" bullet point).

In general, put the waypoints in the order normally used by the country.
Implies S->N / W->E

Exit numbers or roadside distance markers often reveal this order.
Though this could be taken to suggest flipping the order when mile/reference markers say so.

In the US and Canada, most highways should have waypoints in order from west to east or south to north.
Emphasis added. Seems to suggest that some will not.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:26:16 pm
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 04:56:02 pm »
In general, put the waypoints in the order normally used by the country.
Implies S->N / W->E

Exit numbers or roadside distance markers often reveal this order.
Though this could be taken to suggest flipping the order when mile/reference markers say so.

In the US and Canada, most highways should have waypoints in order from west to east or south to north.
Emphasis added. Seems to suggest that some will not.

Oh man this sounds like it could use a manual revision for clarity.

This also fails to address countries that don't have any exit numbers or mile/km markers posted.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 06:14:55 pm »
This discussion made me think of something: when I posted this, I simply assumed it was inventoried north/south.  There's a case to be made that NY 109 is actually inventoried backwards instead...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:03:23 pm
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2021, 06:35:17 am »
It doesn't matter which end comes first - .list entries work both ways - having it 'the wrong way' around changes nothing functionality wise, nor does the action of flipping it around to be the right way affect anything (an action that is easy and doesn't take long). It's both a trivial issue, and a trivial solve.

NY109 is a route where mileage increases to the west (rather than the east, per other W-E routes)*. Keep as is as it's not 'the wrong way'. Those who are going to notice are also going to notice that the chainage and our order match.

*Perhaps it was originally inventoried as a S-N route and then they decided that its more 'horizontal' than 'vertical', being a diagonal that does lean that way, when it came to directional signs.