Author Topic: IA: US6 His (Durant) - extend east  (Read 3491 times)

Offline bhemphill

• Last Login:February 09, 2022, 04:21:48 pm
IA: US6 His (Durant) - extend east
« on: August 25, 2019, 05:31:44 pm »
This continues east along Kimberly Road to Hickory Grove Road, then down that to Locust Street, then along that to Main Street, where it vanishes into the ether somewhere downtown.  Eastbound signs indicate the turns at Hickory Grove Road, Locust Street, and Main Street.  Westbound signs indicate the turns at Locust Street and Hickory Grove Road.  The westbound sign saying to turn on Kimberly Road west didn't seem to exist, but the signs indicating to go straight over I-280 did, along with a couple reassurance signs on Kimberly Road.  River Drive, 2nd Street, 3rd Street, and 4th Street don't seem to have any indication from any direction of turns at any of them.  I don't remember seeing anything on Government Bridge from the time I went across it earlier this summer either.  I haven't seen any signs around the I-74 construction about Historic 6 being there either.  So I don't know what the intended path is supposed to be to try to guess in downtown Davenport.  The signs along Locust Street have been up for at least a couple of years, but I finally took the time to try following them yesterday.

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 16, 2024, 01:40:37 am
Re: IA: US6 His (Durant) - extend east
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 02:06:30 am »
Here's a potential solution: Extend 6 as you say into Davenport, then down Main to end at River/US 67. The segment along Main would use Business 61's points, since its one-ways are the streets on either side. So, theoretically, this would mean that traveling on Harrison OR Main OR Brady would qualify, but I'm not sure the distinction matters here, especially if there's no signed end.

This historic route segment would not rejoin its parent, but given that we're talking about a historic routing that went to the Arsenal Bridge and was dropped at the end of 1936, I'm fine with that.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:50:23 am
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 05:09:35 am »
Here's a potential solution: Extend 6 as you say into Davenport, then down Main to end at River/US 67. The segment along Main would use Business 61's points, since its one-ways are the streets on either side.
Concur.

Also rename it from Durant to Davenport?

Offline bhemphill

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 02:20:50 pm »
Sounds fine to me.  If it ever gets signed to make it turn or end, or Davenport does away with one-way streets as they talk of doing, then we can change it to the new situation.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 06:03:06 pm »
The segment along Main would use Business 61's points, since its one-ways are the streets on either side. So, theoretically, this would mean that traveling on Harrison OR Main OR Brady would qualify
LOL Amarillo! We can break up the "concurrencies" with hidden points. I volunteer to add them nerd-style.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 05:54:22 pm »
Following the description here, the following stuff we don't have, as found on GMSV:

Council Bluffs on McPherson Ave: not yet signed.

Des Moines segment: doesn't yet exist on the ground (Hickman-Beaver-Forest-Keo-Grande-Hubbell)

Colfax/Altoona segment:just east of US65. On CR-F48 west of Colfax, east of Colfax, and at US6

extend Brooklyn section:
on US6 west of IA146

Coralville segment:
on 5th St just east of US6. Takes 1st Avenue between 5th and US6, but found only the one sign total.

Iowa city segment: on US6 just before CR-F46, Muscatine at Burlington, Burlington at Governor, Burlington at Governor again, Burlington just over the bridge from US6

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:09:32 am
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 01:06:00 pm »
East end: US67N -> US67 (or US67/61Bus)
Clinched:

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 01:55:36 am »
If we ARE going to talk about historic 6, here are my positions.
  • The problem with the McPherson alignment is that there's now an airport runway in the way. Going all the way out on McPherson would result in two dead-ends. Now that 6 has been removed from Broadway in CB, I can creating a segment from I-480 to I-80 - but then does the on-Kanesville off-Broadway segment get included, omitted, or is there a second file? (That is, the piece currently there becomes "US 6 (Historic)(1934-82)"
  • I doubt that Historic 6 signs will be placed in Des Moines, since it's still alive on the post-1934 Hickman/Euclid alignment and this seems ripe for ROW/maintenance issues.
  • Altoona to Newton: No problem with adding this.
  • Extension to/past Grinnell: Would completely overlap existing 6. (This is historically accurate, as the River-to-River Route in Grinnell followed 4th Avenue instead but almost certainly was moved to 6th when US 32 was paved in 1928.)
  • Iowa City: I thought this was there already. No problem.

Overall, I believe only Cass and Poweshiek counties specifically put up Historic 6 shields where it overlaps the existing route. Everywhere else, it's marked only where current 6 is not. I don't see any Historic 6 shields in West Liberty, for example.

I believe it is best to stick with segments of Historic 6 where it is NOT overlapping the modern route. For example, the Atlantic segment should end at the 71/83 intersection, because right now it's redundant to Oakland. Where it is both well-signed and not on significant stretches of current 6 are: Downtown Council Bluffs, Atlantic to Adel (US 71 to US 169), Altoona to Newton, through Brooklyn, through Coralville/IC, and Wilton to Davenport.

Quote from: mapcat
East end: US67N -> US67 (or US67/61Bus)
C&P edit typo, can fix.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 07:10:27 am »
If we ARE going to talk about historic 6, here are my positions.
talked about in the system thread

Offline bhemphill

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 01:25:02 pm »
In the Iowa City segment, the waypoint name 1stSt_N is on 1st Avenue in Coralville.  With there being 3 waypoints on a 1st Avenue (1 in Iowa City, and 2 in Coralville), shouldn't the two in Coralville be 1stAve_N and 1stAve_S?

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 02:59:42 pm »
The first one's gotta change, for sure. How about 1stAve_N, 1stAve_S, and 1stAve_IC, in that order W-E?

FWIW, 1st Avenue Coralville heading south remains 1st through the intersection until the railroad tracks, when it becomes Mormon Trek Boulevard, so the latter would have problems as an option.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 03:06:12 pm by Highway63 »

Offline bhemphill

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 03:18:54 pm »
That makes sense to me.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 02:12:35 pm »
1stAve_Iow
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca