Author Topic: AL: AL255 extended north a little  (Read 4688 times)

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:03:34 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
AL: AL255 extended north a little
« on: May 16, 2017, 10:04:29 pm »
AL 255, in the HB under the usansf route set, has its north end in the HB at AL 53. When I drove the route this morning, I saw the road continuing past AL 53, with AL 255 markers continuing to Pulaski Pike.

After Pulaski Pike, there's another AL 255 reassurance marker, shortly followed by an END AL 255 marker well before the next intersection, and after that intersection an End State Maintenance sign where the divided highway turns into two-lane Bob Wade Lane. Based on past practice with route ends at non-intersections, the new north end of AL 255 would be PulPike.

No sign of any work to extend AL 255 to US 231/431.

US 231/431 might warrant a new waypoint at BobWadeLn as an unsigned connector to AL 255, perhaps replacing MerSt (not in use).

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
Re: AL: AL255 extended north a little
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 07:51:47 am »
Thanks, was aware that AL 255 was extended, albeit as a surface route.

This will get changed when the Alabama state system gets worked on.  Probably not before then.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 02:17:18 am »
Based on past practice with route ends at non-intersections, the new north end of AL 255 would be PulPike.
Are you saying, round off the end to the nearest intersection? It ain't so! The end still goes where the end goes. That's part of why we have the "'End' as a waypoint label" convention.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 06:53:43 am »
Based on past practice with route ends at non-intersections, the new north end of AL 255 would be PulPike.
Are you saying, round off the end to the nearest intersection? It ain't so! The end still goes where the end goes. That's part of why we have the "'End' as a waypoint label" convention.

I thought you rounded off MB 8's north end to an intersection point, rather than strain to tack on a few hundred feet to the End sign north of that intersection. And I still remember, from the CHM forum, all the jabbering we did with the ON 417 freeway in Arnprior, the upshot of which was to end the route at the last interchange (which moved west one exit while we were having that discussion).

"End" (or some more meaningful label where one is available) still comes in handy where the endpoint is a longer distance from the last intersection than we have with AL 255, especially if it's easy to figure out (such as where the road physically ends) where that point is.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 01:09:32 am »
Aah yes, true... I guess my thinking was based more around cases where we can identify a precise end from official documentation, rather than signage in the field which will often be wibbly-wobbly, as is the case here and on MB8. So maybe my response was my brain misfiring a bit...

What you said holds. I'll make my official opinion that the end of AL255 should be either PulPike of some other place, whatever froggie deems to be most appropriate based on Any And All Relevant Mojo, IBNLT official documentation, field signage, pavement changes, etc. :)
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 10:47:58 pm »
Just bumping this, now that usaal is in preview, but AL 255 has not yet been extended northeast of AL 53 to Pulaski Pike.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 08:23:38 am »
No it's not.  And my hunch is it's because it exists in the usansf system.  The other usansf routes aren't showing up either, even though I created and uploaded them.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:37:32 pm
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 09:58:15 am »
To avoid confusion (see GW Pkwy) it's probably best to keep the usansf routes up to date in usansf and then merge them in to usaal upon activation. I'd delete the copies in usaal for now. No need to maintain 2 files.
Clinched:

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:09:10 pm
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 10:48:58 am »
It's definitely possible I messed things up in my fixes to eliminate duplicates.  I copied the usaal versions of files into usansf, assuming those were the "better" versions.

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:58:40 pm
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 07:14:45 am »
This seems to have been done, but it was not actually marked as solved until I just did that.