Author Topic: Summer Priorities  (Read 10504 times)

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 09, 2024, 02:19:30 am
Re: Summer Priorities
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 04:22:33 pm »
Yeah, and the export doesn't quite work correctly. It doesn't format the code correctly.

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 06:33:08 pm »
Something else that could stand to be addressed over the summer is the backlog of threads in the Updates section of this forum. There's forum threads dating back to early 2016 that have not been resolved yet.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:09:10 pm
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 10:21:43 pm »
The first attempt at a TM waypoint editor was contributed by a user who I guess lost interest.  It never got to the point of being especially useful.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 12:07:14 am »
I've saved a copy of Tim's CHM editor, in case his site ever goes down. If, in the future, Google's API ever changes & requires changes to the code again, I suppose we can open up the hood and tinker around.

For my $0.02, WPTedit (WPTEdit?) is full-featured, powerful, and intuitive (at least, for someone who's spent as much time with it as I have).
I've built up enough motor memory with it that's it's really second nature, and I have very little interest in switching to a new editing interface.

...If we want to add features and change things around, we can open up the hood and do that too.
I've idly thought of replacing [Load] [Load and Pan] with [Load] [Pan] [Zoom], but haven't looked into how I'd do it. Low priority; would require a Round Tuit.
The text, "Paste .wpt file lines in the text area above. Click Load and Pan above." could be parsed as "Paste .wpt file lines in the text area above. Click [Load] and [Pan] above." instead of "Paste .wpt file lines in the text area above. Click [Load and Pan] above." :) (Or, you know, like, edited to simply [Load])
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:37:32 pm
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 12:45:38 am »
I've saved a copy of Tim's CHM editor, in case his site ever goes down.
Good! That's the primary reason for having our own, simply because we can't depend on his lasting forever.

...If we want to add features and change things around, we can open up the hood and do that too.
I've idly thought of replacing [Load] [Load and Pan] with [Load] [Pan] [Zoom], but haven't looked into how I'd do it. Low priority; would require a Round Tuit.
The text, "Paste .wpt file lines in the text area above. Click Load and Pan above." could be parsed as "Paste .wpt file lines in the text area above. Click [Load] and [Pan] above." instead of "Paste .wpt file lines in the text area above. Click [Load and Pan] above." :) (Or, you know, like, edited to simply [Load])
Load-Pan-Zoom would be really helpful. Also, the elimination of obsolete map layers. It would be great to have it load OSM by default (or whatever a user wants as a default).

I wish I knew what "Th. Hwy." does, or means.
Clinched:

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 01:04:38 am »
I wish I knew what "Th. Hwy." does, or means.

Me too!

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:42:46 pm
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 04:55:08 am »
Thickness of Highway. Basically the red lines move if you change the value.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 08:48:09 am »
I was remembering, apparently inaccurately, that we didn't have access to all of Tim's wptedit code in a usable form.  It's good news if we can.  In that case, the main reason I didn't just take a copy and put it on the TM site is probably that we don't have Tim's permission to do that with his code.  I did get his permission to use his CHM code as a guide for what has become HDX, and that experience led to the development our current TM map infrastructure.  However, I would not be comfortable just installing a copy of the current wptedit on our site, or using it as the starting code for an improved version, without permission.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 09:49:19 am »
True. But goldurnit, WPTedit is just Too Good.
ISTR you saying that you had a little communication with Tim after he went silent on the old forum... (What was it, about setting up infrastructure to allow multiple collaborators to ingest updates in his absence?) Have you heard from him at all since the TM project got underway, or is his disappearance just about that complete?

I've thought about how, if Tim were to come back, I'd make the "Please don't be upset; imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" argument -- CHM was just too good of an idea, and too well-loved by the roadgeek community, to just let it fade away and gather dust.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 09:54:32 am »
I did exchange a couple emails with Tim right before he disappeared for good about getting me set up to be able to process list file updates, bring in highway data updates, and run site updates.  He implied that I was not the only person he was reaching out to about this, but I don't know who else was being considered/groomed to be able to help him out.  But that was it for contact.  Last message was in December 2014.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:37:32 pm
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 12:04:53 pm »
Are there times when we're supposed to change this?
Clinched:

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:42:46 pm
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 12:16:41 pm »
Are there times when we're supposed to change this?
It was an experiment. I was told to loosen it a little to make better boundaries so that the files weren't too big and if we wanted the tighter stuff with dense shaping points at some point we could narrow it.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 10:38:46 pm »
Grades for Spring 2018 should be submitted in the next 2 days or so, and I hope to be able to spend some of my time soon on TM fixes and enhancements.  With the upcoming Google Maps API changes, perhaps a new WPT editor needs to be my focus.  I kept hoping someone else would make one so I could focus on other things...