Author Topic: TM instance on new server  (Read 4738 times)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:14:53 pm
TM instance on new server
« on: May 14, 2018, 11:01:29 pm »
A new instance of TM is now up on the server where the project will soon be migrating, reachable for now as http://tmnew.teresco.org .  Give it a try and please let me know if you notice any problems.  So far I have only noticed that the fonts are off for the shield generator.  Hoping someone who has worked with the shield generation code can tell what I'm missing or what needs to be updated there.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
Re: TM instance on new server
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 11:10:15 pm »
Note that I will not be updating the DB on the new instance consistently with the production instance.  So no need to worry if some stats look different.  I'm just looking to make sure there are no parts that just aren't working correctly.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 11:22:08 pm »
Also note that this new instance is using many new versions of support software.  Apache is just a minor upgrade, but MySQL is up from 5.6 to 5.7 and PHP is up from 5.6 to 7.2.  There are bound to be some tweaks needed that I missed.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 10:51:06 am »
So far I have only noticed that the fonts are off for the shield generator.  Hoping someone who has worked with the shield generation code can tell what I'm missing or what needs to be updated there.

I thought the updateserver.sh script copied the fonts directory, but it does not.  I've put them in place.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 10:00:24 pm »
Today, I finally implemented and deployed (on the new server only) a big improvement that's been planned for a long time.  There are now two instances of the database.  Both are updated during the site update process, but the site switches to use the "copy" version while the main version is being updated, then switches back to main when the copy is being updated.  This means no more annoying SQL error messages on the site during updates.  I won't mind running more frequent updates with this new behavior and it's a big step toward site updates running automatically, say every few hours or even any time changes are made to the highway data and user data.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 12:36:10 pm »
updates running automatically, say every few hours or even any time changes are made to the highway data and user data.
That could potentially use up a lot of CPU time, yes?

I don't see bandwidth as a problem, because git just downloads the diffs, right?
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 12:55:56 pm »
It would be CPU intensive, but that's OK.  It's a 20-core machine without much to think about most of the time.

You are correct that the network is limited to diffs brought in from GitHub.