Author Topic: canqc: Quebec Provincial Highways  (Read 54316 times)

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:36:37 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
Re: canqc (Quebec Provincial Highways)
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2017, 01:40:11 pm »
Thanx for the clarification. I had no other QC changes in the pipeline. I've glorked my local changes to QC TCHKir, so my next pull request will be just usaca (and maybe also a few outstanding usahi NMPs).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 01:57:15 pm by oscar »

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 09:50:25 am
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2017, 06:28:35 pm »
Thanx for the clarification. I had no other QC changes in the pipeline. I've glorked my local changes to QC TCHKir, so my next pull request will be just usaca (and maybe also a few outstanding usahi NMPs).
Great. There are 30 left for me to fix or mark FP, so I will do that later tonight or tomorrow. All the datacheck errors that are left are visible distance or false positives, so I'll wait on marking those FP until after the peer review is done.

Edit: I believe that all NMPs that should be fixed are in https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/1343

I will check the remaining NMPs after this is pulled in and add the FPs to the list.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 12:10:37 am by mapcat »
Clinched:

Offline bhemphill

• Last Login:February 09, 2022, 04:21:48 pm
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2017, 02:34:16 pm »
QC170 has a slightly different routing around waypoint 25.  I think what Mapnik shows is the current configuration of the interchange with A-70.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2017, 04:19:45 pm »
Thanks--good to know OSM has been updated. My updates are in https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/1620 and Oscar might want to check where I placed the eastern intersection with A-70, in case he'd like A-70 to use the same point.

@bhemphill: did you happen to notice if A-70's new interchange with QC170 has an exit number?
Clinched:

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2017, 05:03:43 pm »
Thanks--good to know OSM has been updated. My updates are in https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/1620 and Oscar might want to check where I placed the eastern intersection with A-70, in case he'd like A-70 to use the same point.

@bhemphill: did you happen to notice if A-70's new interchange with QC170 has an exit number?

I'm curious about the Ch. de la Grande-Anse interchange number, too. But especially if there's no number, I can replace the ChGraAnse point (not in use, unless bhemphill is going to use it) with QC170_E at QC170's A-70_E location. The old location might be better, except for the weird way QC170 now weaves through the Grande-Anse interchange.

I suggest the QC 170 route file be tweaked, to replace the former A-70 waypoint with where the closed connector to A-70 peeled away from the new QC 170 alignment (a point needed for my own list file, and perhaps another user's):

*ToA-70 +A-70 http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.370926&lon=-71.066254
[EDIT: corrected coordinates]

I'll make the corresponding change to A-70, to change *QC170 to *ToQC170 +QC170 (QC170 is in use, by me and someone else).

I had considered a side trip up there on my way back from California, since the A-70 extension might be the last addition to the Autoroute system for a few years. But I ran out of time to get back home for my scheduled eye surgery. My recovery from that is proceeding normally, but it might not be complete before winter sets in up there; maybe next spring?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:58:55 pm by oscar »

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2017, 08:20:05 pm »
I suggest the QC 170 route file be tweaked, to replace the former A-70 waypoint with where the closed connector to A-70 peeled away from the new QC 170 alignment (a point needed for my own list file, and perhaps another user's):

If you mean moving the old A-70 point to the short road that accesses A-70 at Sortie 50, that's in the pull (I renamed it A-70(50)). If you mean doing that, plus adding another point ~400m away at the location where A-70 used to join QC170, I didn't think that was far enough away from the new point to matter.

I added points at the ends of the former routing of QC170 along Chemin Saint-Anicet as well.

Also, it was my understanding that alt labels aren't necessary with preview systems, so I didn't retain the names for those I changed here.
Clinched:

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2017, 09:17:12 pm »

If you mean moving the old A-70 point to the short road that accesses A-70 at Sortie 50, that's in the pull (I renamed it A-70(50)). If you mean doing that, plus adding another point ~400m away at the location where A-70 used to join QC170, I didn't think that was far enough away from the new point to matter.

Also, it was my understanding that alt labels aren't necessary with preview systems, so I didn't retain the names for those I changed here.

My suggestion was indeed to include both my proposed *ToA-70 point and your A-70(50) point (which I saw in your pull request). I think 400m is not too small a distance. My requested point would also pair up with the *QC170 point (to be renamed *ToQC170 +QC170) already in the A-70 route file, which is more necessary for that file and also half a mile away from its waypoint 50.

Alt labels in preview systems are purely optional. I usually omit them in my own systems, except when a change is made a day or two before activation. I'll just edit my list file to adjust to what you do with the QC170 route file, and other users can do likewise.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 09:45:08 pm by oscar »

Offline bhemphill

• Last Login:February 09, 2022, 04:21:48 pm
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 09:42:17 am »
I was westbound on QC170, so there was just the sign saying go straight to stay on QC170 and veer right to get on A70.  There were still construction cones up keeping it to one lane of use and no access to the exit, I think, but I don't remember for sure although I do remember seeing the town name but not exactly which sign(s) it was on since I do remember thinking about the song.  So my best guess of memory is that the exit wasn't open yet with a number, although I didn't pay real close attention to that detail.  I was also getting hungry and had been stopped by a train just a couple miles to the east of there, so keeping moving for traffic behind me and finding food were more on my mind as well as being a little distracted by the orange stuff.  I guess I need to get a dashcam   :D.  I didn't go back to explore and investigate after I ate since the construction signs indicated that QC170 was closed to through traffic somewhere east of QC175.  The construction on QC138 had added a lot of time to the trip that ended up cutting out some of my exploring and road clinching plans for that whole area.  Quebec 511 indicates that the construction cones in that eastern QC170 A-70 interchange area are still going to be up for 3 weeks yet.

I am looking to use that easternmost point, whatever name it has.  If I have to change the point name in my file later on, that is okay.  I know it will be a number at some point when the road is extended east for sure.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2017, 08:09:09 pm »
I traveled A-70 and other routes in the Saguenay region last week. There is no exit number at its east end, and no need to change anything else with A-70 or QC 170. Figures, since A-70 ends at a roundabout, and Transports Quebec seems not to assign exit numbers to roundabouts.

Three other notes about the routes in the Saguenay region: 

QC 172's km-markers run from east to west for some reason, while the roughly parallel QC 170 has its km-markers running from west to east. Both routes are signed as west-east routes. The QC 172 route file has its waypoints in west to east order. Maybe flip the waypoint order for QC 172?

Also, looking at the QC 138 ferry crossing between Baie-Sainte-Catherine and Tadoussac, I noticed that the waypoint for the ferry terminal in Baie Sainte-Catherine is labeled BSteCatFry, while on the other side it's TadFry. Should those points be labeled for the ferries' destinations, rather than where they leave from, e.g. BSteCatFry => TadFry? FWIW, in BC the terminals for the ferry route connecting the two TCH 1 segments are labeled HorBayFry in Nanaimo, and NanFry in Horseshoe Bay; similar for the ferry link for TCH 16. Or both of the ones on QC 138 could be labeled Fry, especially since (unlike the BC ferries) the two vessels operating from the Baie-Sainte-Catherine and Tadoussac ferry terminals don't go to any other destinations.

The QC 381 file looks right. But it is a challenging mountain road (named "Route des Montagnes"), especially with the steep grades up to 18% near its southern end. I traveled the route heading southbound, so I drove those grades going downhill in low gear. I'm not real sure my elderly Prius could've handled those grades going uphill, though I did see 18-wheelers heading north on QC 381.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:01:21 pm by oscar »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2017, 04:10:40 am »
Quote from: canqc.csv
canqc;QC;QC138;;;;qc.qc138;
canqc;QC;QC138;;Mon;Montréal;qc.qc138mon;
lines' order is reversed

QC138Mon:
BSteCatFry doesbn't meet label conventions. "Baie Ste Catherine Ferry" becomes...
Quote from: manual_wayptlabels.php
If the cross road name has more than 3 words, use one of two options:
1. Pick out the two most important words besides the road type and use only those: Martin Luther King Boulevard becomes MarKingBlvd. Three words in total are included in shortened form.
BaieSteFry, BaieCatFry, SteCatFry,

Quote from: manual_wayptlabels.php
2. Pick out one important word besides the road type and use it and the initials of the other words: Martin Luther King Boulevard becomes MLKingBlvd. Two words in total are included in shortened form along with initials of the rest.
BaieSCFry, BSteCFry, or BSCatFry.

...or does it?
If I search http://cmap.m-plex.com/tools/manual_wayptlabels.php for the string "ferry", I find nothing. But ISTR a "use the ferry name" convention developing prior to the end of CHM. Which you did?
On the one hand, I see "Tadoussac-Baie-Sainte-Catherine" as the ferry name in OSM. If the ferry name is the same at both ends, we may want to go with that (and thus in main qc.qc138 too); I like TadBSCFry the best out of the available options. FWIW, the only parallel in my work I can think of is in cannsc; the labels for ferry names (which probably came from here) are the same in the routes on each end.
On the other hand, the ferry could go by a different name at its two ends, and that's totally legit.
I'd be interested to hear what experience other contributors have had in naming ferry waypoints.

QC138:
TadFry: see above.
shapefiles have the E end here.

QC138Tet:
shapefiles have the W end here.
TeteBalArpt -> TeteBalAir

QC138Tab:
W end: Chemin de la Baie-du-Bateau being concurrent, "End" is more appropriate.
shapefiles have the E end here, where PAVSTATUS changes from Paved to Unpaved.

Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2018, 02:23:28 pm »
The QC337@RangSteHen point is missing from QC335.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2018, 02:55:06 pm »
Thanks. Fixed in my copy.
Clinched:

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2019, 09:16:27 pm »
Jumping in on this thread since it's still a preview system:

QC243:  Shouldn't the QC112_N point be QC112_W?

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2019, 10:22:14 am »
@oscar: Are you handing this set now? I haven't done anything with it in months nor do I intend to. If you can't/don't want to deal with this let me know and I will get it.
Clinched:

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2019, 09:57:51 pm »
I thought canqc was still in your hands, at least until it goes active.

I have to make some changes to A-10, A-15, and A-20 for the new Champlain Bridge, which will also affect QC 134 which is concurrent with Autoroutes on the interchange with the south end of the bridge. I can take care of QC 134, and QC 243, while I'm at it.

AIUI, the conversion of A-720 to QC 136 (Montreal) is still in progress.