Author Topic: New Zealand Motorways (nzlmot)  (Read 6067 times)

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
New Zealand Motorways (nzlmot)
« on: July 29, 2017, 10:32:38 am »
Generally, the motorway system is not numbered and all (or almost all?) drafted routes are concurrent to SH roads. That means, the system seems to be similar to eursf, a Select Named Freeway system.
Maybe we should wait activating the system till nzlsh system is als ready for activation?

Anyway, I've removed the motorways:

AucNMot:
427A should be moved to the north, maybe http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-36.855102&lon=174.756694

AucNWMot:
Fine

AucSMot:
427A, see AucNMot
wp @ http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-36.874634&lon=174.779391
433 should be moved to the center of the roundabout
wp for exit 434
Why does it end at exit 471, I think the motorway ends north of Mercer (6 more exits)

AucSWMot:
Fine

ChrLytMot:
Sure that it's a motorway? It has one carriageway only...

ChrNMot:
Fine

ChrSMot:
Fine

DunSMot:
Move MainSRd wp to the overpass
BriRd --> MainSRd_W; MainSRd --> MainSRd_E
SadHilRd --> SadHillRd
SH1/87 --> SH87

JohPorMot:
Fine

KapExpy:
Move TeMoaRd

TauEasLink:
Wp for Bruce Road
Wp for Kairua Road

UppHarMot:
Fine

WelUrbMot:
AoeQuay --> AotQuay

What's about Centennial Highway b/n JohPorMot and WelUrbMot?
What's about Hutt Road extending WelUrbMot to Lower Hutt?
What's about Waikato Expressway (3 segments) and Mangaharakeke Drive near Hamilton?

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
Re: New Zealand Motorways (nzlmot)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 02:00:27 am »
Generally, the motorway system is not numbered and all (or almost all?) drafted routes are concurrent to SH roads.
If all routes are concurrent to SH roads, then what's the point of having this system at all? If that's the case, I'd say scrap it.
If almost all routes are concurrent to SH roads, well... I'll leave it to those who care more than I do about NZL & have more skin in the game to work out what the threshold of "almost all" is, how relevant/useful this system is, and how appropriate it is for inclusion.

(I don't think an "almost all" system is necessarily a bad thing, to be clear; I'd like to get cannss activated at some point in the distant future...)
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 02:56:27 am »
I thought that all routes are concurrent but I wasn't 100% sure when I posted it and I was too lazy to check it yesterday...

I've checked it now and ALL nzlmot routes are concurrent to the in-devel nzlsh system.

I absolutely agree that we don't need a system which is 100% concurrent to another (future) system but Si has gone this way in Europe too. Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Belarus, Russia and Ukraine do not have a motorway network with own numbering but they have national roads signed as motorway. If you compare different regions, these countries have no "blue" (tier 1, motorway) color which looks odd. For that reason, Si also drafted these routes as eursf ("teal", tier 2, Select Freeway). In countries with own motorway category, e.g. BGR, BIH, CHE, DEU,... eursf routes are freeways which are not concurrent to any other system.

I'm not happy with the solution but I wanna be able to distinguish motorways and "simple" national routes. One the map with a different color and even in stats. It's one reason why I've recently opened a thread about tiers on the internal board. nzlmot would be tier "1E".

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:28:40 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 11:10:30 am »
If all routes are concurrent to SH roads, then what's the point of having this system at all? If that's the case, I'd say scrap it.
Because it was drafted a good year beforehand? Also, nzlsh is a long way off preview status and I can always merge it in when nzlsh is activated if we don't want to highlight that these roads are motorways (or throw into a ocesm grab-bag system with Australian named motorways).

I'm pretty sure that we have other systems entirely concurrent with other systems - cantch is AFAICS (OK, cansk doesn't yet exist).
ChrLytMot:
Sure that it's a motorway? It has one carriageway only...
So What? 'Motorway' in Kiwi law isn't about standards, but about rights-of-way and not allowed traffic. the authorities are clear that it's a motorway.
What's about Centennial Highway b/n JohPorMot and WelUrbMot?
not a motorway
What's about Hutt Road extending WelUrbMot to Lower Hutt?
not a motorway
What's about Waikato Expressway (3 segments) and Mangaharakeke Drive near Hamilton?
Not a motorway
Why does it end at exit 471, I think the motorway ends north of Mercer (6 more exits)
Name change, and status change.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:24:47 am by si404 »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 03:17:55 am »
I accept michih's explanation upthread.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 11:52:49 am »
Because it was drafted a good year beforehand? Also, nzlsh is a long way off preview status and I can always merge it in when nzlsh is activated if we don't want to highlight that these roads are motorways

I think it's fine with me but nzlmot should be merged to nzlsh in the remote futue when nzlsh will be activated. Dunno if we should activate nzlmot or keep it in preview for the time being...

(or throw into a ocesm grab-bag system with Australian named motorways)

I would keep the "named motorway system" but favor a country system over a continental system.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 06:28:17 pm »
On the one hand, I like the idea of having the system so that the major freeways are colored blue (it does look odd if a place with a freeway system doesn't have any blue routes).  On the other, it is wholly concurrent, and the distinction of what is and isn't a motorway seems arbitrary to me; I get the sense that it's used more as a legal function and not really meant to be a coherent "system" of routes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.