Highway Data Discussion > In-progress Highway Systems & Work

Canada and USA state/province/territorial highways master thread

<< < (14/25) > >>

Wadsteckel:
Thanks, Mapcat. I'll keep trying to check in here and post my two cents, but I've seen most times that what we may see on the road isn't always up to date with what the state says is official. 

-Ed S

Jim:

--- Quote from: michih on August 30, 2019, 09:24:59 am ---
--- Quote from: mapcat on August 30, 2019, 08:37:05 am ---but there's no updates entry for it
--- End quote ---

Because it's just a preview but not an active system?

--- End quote ---

Another example of why we need to move our preview systems forward to active status before developing more new systems.  With 100 systems in preview and available for mapping, that's a whole lot of users mapping travels in a whole lot of places with no promise of updates entries.

mapcat:

--- Quote from: michih on August 30, 2019, 09:24:59 am ---
--- Quote from: mapcat on August 30, 2019, 08:37:05 am ---but there's no updates entry for it
--- End quote ---

Because it's just a preview but not an active system?

--- End quote ---
Oh right...yet still, there's usually discussion. It seems unusual that the city would have changed the routing of a highway purported to represent the historic path of a decommissioned route.

michih:

--- Quote from: mapcat on August 30, 2019, 08:00:18 pm ---Oh right...yet still, there's usually discussion.
--- End quote ---

As a standard user I would be p*** off when things change every now and then without notification but I don't think that we need to discuss everything on the forum.  Our "notification channel" is updates.php. If the responsible highway data manager is not sure about the situation and needs to ask for other opinions*, the forum is the right place. But I don't think that John Doe must follow the forum discussion.

I'm with Jim that we should try to keep the preview state period as short as possible (< 12 months ?) to avoid bothering users with "silent changes".

*I guess that Highway63 had no doubts about the Springfield situation!?

oscar:

--- Quote from: michih on August 31, 2019, 02:49:51 am ---
--- Quote from: mapcat on August 30, 2019, 08:00:18 pm ---Oh right...yet still, there's usually discussion.
--- End quote ---

As a standard user I would be p*** off when things change every now and then without notification but I don't think that we need to discuss everything on the forum.  Our "notification channel" is updates.php. If the responsible highway data manager is not sure about the situation and needs to ask for other opinions*, the forum is the right place. But I don't think that John Doe must follow the forum discussion.

I'm with Jim that we should try to keep the preview state period as short as possible (< 12 months ?) to avoid bothering users with "silent changes".
--- End quote ---

Perhaps we should also change our policy about waypoint label changes while a system is in preview. Our current policy is not to keep and hide labels in use when we relabel a preview route waypoint, unless perhaps the system is about to go active.

I'm planning on bulk changes in California, to change any CH____ waypoint labels (back) to CR___ labels, for consistency with how we handle intersections with signed county routes in other jurisdictions. In-use CH___ labels in active routes would go to CR____ +CH____. We could do same for the preview usaca routes (and usaush routes in California, though most of their CR___ labels were never changed over to CH___, and the one I know about that was changed isn't in use).

More significant changes, such as preview route relocations and splits, could go into the Updates table. These could include major changes under discussion for cansk in Saskatoon and Regina, which are under discussion on the forum, but when implemented could use additional notice to users through the Updates table. I expect cansk to be activated by November anyway (after all the changes associated with the upcoming completion of the Regina Bypass), so the Saskatchewan changes would not be a major change in what goes into the Updates table.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version