Author Topic: VI: Various  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:34:40 pm
VI: Various
« on: December 03, 2018, 07:24:00 pm »
I'm currently in St Thomas and am hoping to be able to explore all the routes here before I leave. This thread will contain my observations. Thus far I can confirm the following:

(see updated list in below post)

Generally speaking, signage here is... well, spotty. It seems like the majority of intersections don't even have any street signs.

I've already encountered multiple instances of a junction or turn being unsigned for a route that does have some sort of sign elsewhere, an instance of an "EAST" banner with the shield missing (on VI 38), and at least one instance of a clearly missing arrow/banner.

Normally we exclude unsigned routes but I would be open to making at least some exception here given how just flat out inconsistently signed everything here is.
There's also plenty of unrepaired hurricane damage still around (e.g. the VI 38/VI 384 intersection used to be signalized, half the signal heads are currently standing, dark and busted up), which could be the reason for some missing signage.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:01:30 pm by Duke87 »

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:34:40 pm
Re: VI: Various
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 08:49:55 pm »
Here is the status as observed in the field of all routes on St Thomas:

VI 30: signed
VI 32: signed
VI 33: signed
VI 35: signed
VI 37: signed
VI 38: signed
VI 39: signed
VI 40: signed
VI 42: signed
VI 301: signed, but the west end in the HB is incorrect - based on junction signage it follows the east fork of the wye
VI 302: signed (there is exactly one sign)
VI 303: signed, but is currently blocked here by a cave-in/landslide. No barricades or signs indicating the road is closed, you just get to a spot where if you're not paying attention you could drive straight into a huge hole. Probably Irma damage that's still not repaired.
VI 304: NOT signed
VI 305: NOT signed
VI 306: NOT signed
VI 308: signed, although the one-way pair downtown is implied to be shorter than what the HB assumes (and what OSM shows). Dronningans Gade is two ways as far east as Guttets Gade. Wimmelskaft Gade at the south end of VI 40 is one way in the opposite direction from what OSM shows, and a sign at the T at the end of it shows 308 going both left and right from this location. Points should be adjusted so VI 308 is shown following Dronningans Gade only (rather than being a one way pair) up to Guttets Gade.
Some text stricken out because I edited OSM to match what was observed in the field
VI 313: signed, although only on a single sign blade mounted on an overhead signal mast arm
VI 314: signed
VI 315: signed
VI 318: NOT signed, or at least there are no signs standing - there is, approaching it from VI 30 eastbound, an arrow pointing left with a blank space on the sign post above it where a shield might logically belong. Should also be noted this is a single lane dirt road - and when I say dirt I mean dirt, not gravel. All other numbered routes on St Thomas, signed or unsigned, are paved for their entire length.
VI 322: signed
VI 331: signed, but incorrectly labeled in the HB as VI 334. Prospective travelers should note that this road is one way westbound, although this does not impact how it should be plotted.
VI 332: signed
VI 333: signed (exactly one sign at south end)
VI 334: signed, but it shown in the HB as being in the wrong location. VI 334 as signed is what OSM shows as VI 334, going over the top of Crown Mountain past the radio transmitters with both ends at VI 33.
VI 351: not in the HB - I spotted a random sign for this on what may or may not be part of VI 379 southbound pointing both left and right, shortly before the VI 308 junction. Not sure what it may be intended to point to.
VI 379: signed (exactly one sign at the north end). Note that HB shows the south endpoint at Pilgrim Terrace Bypass but then has a point named "VI 379" on VI 308. No field indication as to which endpoint is correct due to dearth of signage.
VI 382: signed (exactly one sign at the east end)
VI 384: signed
VI 386: signed
VI 388: NOT signed
VI 394: NOT signed
VI 404: signed (exactly one sign northbound, halfway between 40 and 333) - alas, can't make any 404 error jokes here
VI 405: signed, but is currently impassable and barricaded at both ends - including signs which say "route 405 closed - local residents only". Probably more Irma damage.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 04:58:47 pm by Duke87 »