Highway Data Discussion > In-progress Highway Systems & Work

African international systems thread

(1/5) > >>

jwood.ok:
I'm not quite sure of the process, but am kind of curious if there is a chance of more development of highways in African in the future.  Specifically, I'm interested in Zambia & Zimbabwe as I have quite a few miles logged in those two countries.

si404:
There is a chance. Your preference for Zambia and Zimbabwe is noted. You might have a wait, but...

jwood.ok:

--- Quote from: si404 on August 13, 2018, 05:08:49 am ---There is a chance. Your preference for Zambia and Zimbabwe is noted. You might have a wait, but...

--- End quote ---

Understood.  The nice thing about some of those countries is they don't have a great deal of infrastructure - certainly not many highways!

si404:

--- Quote from: jwood.ok on August 16, 2018, 09:41:31 pm ---The nice thing about some of those countries is they don't have a great deal of infrastructure - certainly not many highways!
--- End quote ---
Which means miles and miles of nothing, and a difficulty labelling points at times.

How do I know? Well Zambia's trunk roads are nearly done - just a few hundred miles of T1 and T4 to get on with today (after which I'll probably do more Namibia).

I also found out about the 'SADC Regional Trunk Road Network' (blurry map with numbers on p11 of this document, list given here), which is - despite being a sub-continental system - isn't confined to national roads - with some larger countries having a RTR network larger than their national road network. However it is smaller in Eswatini (despite a glut of RTR roads there), Mozambique, DRC, Malawi, Tanzania, Lesotho, etc and could form a way into those countries in a more meaningful way than the sparse Trans-African Highways network - which is how we started Europe and are starting Asia: do the multi-country system and then have that as a springboard for the national networks.

si404:
Namibia B Roads now fully drafted.

Zambia Trunk Roads are also fully drafted.

I've also outlined Botswana and Zimbabwe routes.

And, as I got fed up with drafting lengthy routes through remote areas, the small island of Mauritius now has routes drafted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version