Author Topic: NY 394 in Jamestown  (Read 1624 times)

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 11:47:19 pm
    • New York State Roads
NY 394 in Jamestown
« on: May 26, 2021, 04:50:23 pm »
FYI, NY 394 in Jamestown east of NY 60 follows Pendergast Avenue and 4th Street to 2nd Street as shown on OSM instead of remaining on 5th and 6th Streets.  Signage and the Traffic Data Viewer both concur.  I don't know if this is far enough off the line to mark, but I thought I'd mention it, especially as it could potentially confuse people about the alignment.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:23:57 pm
Re: NY 394 in Jamestown
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 05:32:24 pm »
I probably should have requested a point at Lebanon Rd (LebRd/CR10) and OldNY17 after the 2018 Salamanca Meet.

Anyway, other issues on NY 394 that I have noticed in the meantime:

1.  SGaleSt should be just plain GaleSt.
2.  I recommend replacing the second shaping point south of SGaleSt with a visible point at Quilliam Rd (QuiRd).
3.  The shaping point southeast of NY 430 should be replaced by a visible point at Morris St (MorSt)/CR25.
4.  The shaping point southeast of ChaSteRd should probably be replaced by a visible point (maybe at Davis Rd (DavRd)).
5.  Should CR302 be CR18?
6.  Maybe replace the shaping point north of I-86(8 ) with StowRd.
7.  Maybe make NMapAve CR43.
8.  Should GerLevRd be LevGerRd or CR65?
9.  Is a visible point at Mud Creek Rd worth it to maybe remove a shaping point or two?
10.  MainSt should be MainSt_W.
11.  I recommend adding Oldro Rd (OldRd) to fix the shaping here.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 07, 2024, 11:18:57 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 08:30:32 pm »
FYI, NY 394 in Jamestown east of NY 60 follows Pendergast Avenue and 4th Street to 2nd Street as shown on OSM instead of remaining on 5th and 6th Streets.  Signage and the Traffic Data Viewer both concur.  I don't know if this is far enough off the line to mark, but I thought I'd mention it, especially as it could potentially confuse people about the alignment.
Not super Important IMO. Not that different from NS322 via Thistle St.

I probably should have requested a point at Lebanon Rd (LebRd/CR10) and OldNY17 after the 2018 Salamanca Meet.
Added OldNY17. As a reference route, that got the nod for the label over a lowly county route.

1.  SGaleSt should be just plain GaleSt.
Changed.

2.  I recommend replacing the second shaping point south of SGaleSt with a visible point at Quilliam Rd (QuiRd).
Done. Removed the 1st point; still within tolerance.

3.  The shaping point southeast of NY 430 should be replaced by a visible point at Morris St (MorSt)/CR25.
Done.

4.  The shaping point southeast of ChaSteRd should probably be replaced by a visible point (maybe at Davis Rd (DavRd)).
Deleted instead.

5.  Should CR302 be CR18?
Changed.

6.  Maybe replace the shaping point north of I-86(8 ) with StowRd.
Thought about the ferry a bit, but naah. Deleted.

7.  Maybe make NMapAve CR43.
8.  Should GerLevRd be LevGerRd or CR65?
Done.

9.  Is a visible point at Mud Creek Rd worth it to maybe remove a shaping point or two?
Considered it a bit, but that would cause the route race to cross over NY17 a couple more times. Leaving as-is.

10.  MainSt should be MainSt_W.
Done.

11.  I recommend adding Oldro Rd (OldRd) to fix the shaping here.
The addition of OldNY17 got us within tolerance. Just barely.

https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/4821
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 11:44:29 am by Markkos1992 »
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:23:57 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 11:48:48 am »
I fixed the "OldNY10" typo in yakra's post above.

Offline vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 10:01:58 pm »
Not super Important IMO. Not that different from NS322 via Thistle St.
At least with that one, there are no streets directly parallel that suggest NS 322 follows any route other than what it actually does.  I actually felt the need to do a deep dive into street view and the Traffic Data Viewer when planning this trip, after noticing that 6th Street and 2nd Street don't intersect and getting confused.  Compare to NY 60, for example (another route that makes an odd job in Jamestown, but this one is shown on TM with three close together points).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 12:01:31 am »
WinSt is unused, and doesn't look super important. Would replacing it with a point at 2ndSt_W clarify OK?
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 11:20:39 am »
WinSt is unused, and doesn't look super important. Would replacing it with a point at 2ndSt_W clarify OK?
Yes, I believe it would.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++