Author Topic: Inactive users  (Read 9598 times)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:14:53 pm
Inactive users
« on: July 30, 2017, 09:59:19 pm »
I'm thinking about if and when inactive users should be removed from the site.  We have a few that have never been updated since the initial group of CHM list files was brought over for testing during TM's initial development: drfrankenstein, imgoph, and sammi.  Since these were never actually submitted to us I am confident they can go and no one will notice or care.  There are several others that have not been updated since 2015: clark1mt, dylucktrocket, jerseyman4, jweeks, lowenbrau, neilbert, neroute2, norheim, verumsolum, and w9tam.  Thoughts on if/when list files should be left out of our site?  I wouldn't delete the files, maybe just move them into an "inactive" directory or something like that.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
Re: Inactive users
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 03:59:20 am »
I don't think they should be flagged as inactive in any way. Someone should be removed iff they indicate their list should be removed & that they no longer want to participate. Could be someone just doesn't travel very much.

WRT the initial group of CHM list files, did they all say, "Yes, use my list file" on AARoads as I and several others did? Or, did you grab a few random lists from CHM for testing purposes?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 04:01:25 am by yakra »
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 05:43:03 am »
Or, did you grab a few random lists from CHM for testing purposes?

In this case, I would remove them to an "inactive" Github subfolder or even delete them.

neroute2

The user has traveled one route, US192, in total 3.42mi only. Sumitted in December 2015. Maybe you can contact the person by email and remove the list file to "inactive" if there's no response?

I don't see any other reason to remove an user!

Maybe we can add a selective(?) filter for stats one day to exclude users which have not updated their list files for 1, 2, x years?

But... To be honest, if one is gone, the list files will never be updated again. Is there a deadline when online data should/must be deleted/deactivated? Are dead people no longer relevant?

I don't think so (and think that there is also no legal reason that we have to do so)!

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 09:50:25 am
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 09:23:49 am »
IMGoph has participated in the forum once (early 2017). For some reason this user is classified as a collaborator.
Clinched:

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 09:39:23 am »
I don't remember for sure, but I think the initial group of about 10 list files I pulled over from CHM included my list and those from a few people who were interested in the project, then a few other lists that I thought were useful for testing for whatever reason.  I'm guessing the ones who never sent any updates might not even know TM exists.

My only reason for removing any list file would be to reduce clutter.  Yes, these also add some time to the site update process and size to the DB, but those aren't significant issues at this point.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 09:57:36 am »
I don't remember for sure, but I think the initial group of about 10 list files I pulled over from CHM included my list and those from a few people who were interested in the project, then a few other lists that I thought were useful for testing for whatever reason.

I think I remember that you wrote on aaroads forum that you have not copied all list files but only used some files for testing and anyone can write you an email to add his files. I think we should remove them (drfrankenstein, imgoph, and sammi). If memory serves, Sammi contributed (or announced only?) for web design but disappeared soon.

IMgoph's last activity on the forum was on 21st June 2017... Contacting via PM?

Offline Rothman

• Last Login:December 15, 2023, 02:27:00 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 02:30:35 pm »
I lean towards not deleting until a user requests it.

I'm coming up on a couple of years where my road trips are probably going to be scaled back a bit due to probably buying another house.  I'd hate to come back after a long hiatus to find that my account was deleted.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 04:46:02 pm »
This.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 04:56:42 pm »
Sure but files which are hosted on TM "without permission" should be removed... (and the 3.42mi file...)

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 05:44:50 pm »
I could support removing anything hosted without permission.
However, neroute2.list should stay, being a submission, however small, form that user.

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:March 26, 2024, 02:31:28 pm
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 06:31:43 pm »
I think it's reasonable to remove any lists that were not actually submitted to the TM project. If a file was brought over from CHM, it wasn't really submitted to this site so would be a prime candidate for removal.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:36:37 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 08:04:16 pm »
I'm coming up on a couple of years where my road trips are probably going to be scaled back a bit due to probably buying another house.  I'd hate to come back after a long hiatus to find that my account was deleted.

Even if you dial back on new travels, I hope you'd still check in here occasionally, if only to fix any breakages of your list file as we update the routes you've already covered.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:26:16 pm
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 07:36:26 pm »
This.

Thirded. What is to be gained, really, by removing accounts that may be deemed "inactive"? Is there some resource constraint on storing/processing their info? Unless that is an issue I see no justification for deleting anyone.

I will also point out that I do know at least one person (though I don't think they ever made an account with TM, only CHM) who gave up on updating their list file because they found the process too complex and tedious but would gladly start updating again if given a simpler interface for doing so. So there's another circumstance under which removing someone's account simply because they are "inactive" would be going against their desires.

Offline neilbert

• Last Login:September 03, 2017, 04:19:23 pm
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 01:36:34 pm »
I was one of the users listed as not having updated in a while. I just made my first update in ~2 years, because it had been that long since I travelled anywhere new.

I would have been disappointed bordering on upset to find my file had been removed without a heads-up/confirmation.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 03:26:39 pm »
All good points.  I won't remove anything at this point.