Author Topic: WA 99 The Alaskan  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 08:55:56 pm
WA 99 The Alaskan
« on: January 12, 2019, 05:21:42 am »
The viaduct is now permanently closed. Time to prep up the reclinch trips for when the tunnel opens.

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 09, 2024, 02:19:30 am
Re: WA 99 The Alaskan
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 11:30:04 am »
So now that the tunnel opened (I already clinched it by foot this past Saturday during the grand opening celebration) as of this morning, I am now updating the waypoints on SR 99. I'm planning on removing all the waypoints between the AtlSt and BroSt waypoints as these will no longer be accessible since those were exits on the viaduct. Also I'm going to remove the AtlSt waypoint north to the position the current interchange at the south portal and it will be renamed AlaWy (Alaskan Way) with AtlSt being kept as an alt label. The BroSt waypoint will be renamed AurAve (Aurora Avenue) with BroSt remaining as an alt label.

I'm pretty sure this will warrant an updates entry.

EDIT: I'm noticing now that AurAve is currently an alt label for the RoySt waypoint (I have no clue why it was ever the name of that waypoint in the first place). Is there a way of easily finding out who is using that point in their list file?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 11:44:55 am by compdude787 »

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:09:32 am
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 02:07:11 pm »
Clinched:

Offline dfilpus

• Last Login:Today at 08:14:19 am
    • Filpus Roadgeek
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 03:22:49 pm »
I'm noticing now that AurAve is currently an alt label for the RoySt waypoint (I have no clue why it was ever the name of that waypoint in the first place). Is there a way of easily finding out who is using that point in their list file?
Originally, just the viaduct and tunnel segment of WA 99 was in United States Select freeways. AurAve was the northern end of the route. When WA State Highways was drafted, the route was extended north and south to include the whole state highway. The AurAve waypoint was not a logical label for that point, but since it was in use, it was renamed to RoySt with the hidden AurAve.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 05:52:01 pm »
This may be a case where, given a major realignment and access removal, a few list breaks may be necessary.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:27:44 am
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 06:35:22 pm »
I'd say this definitely warrants a good updates entry.  Apologies that I didn't notice one was not yet included when I merged in the change and ran an update.  It should be specific enough so that someone, like me, who had previously traveled that part of the route can know what new waypoints need to be used to "unclinch" the portion through the new tunnel.

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 09, 2024, 02:19:30 am
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 07:08:11 pm »
I'm noticing now that AurAve is currently an alt label for the RoySt waypoint (I have no clue why it was ever the name of that waypoint in the first place). Is there a way of easily finding out who is using that point in their list file?
Originally, just the viaduct and tunnel segment of WA 99 was in United States Select freeways. AurAve was the northern end of the route. When WA State Highways was drafted, the route was extended north and south to include the whole state highway. The AurAve waypoint was not a logical label for that point, but since it was in use, it was renamed to RoySt with the hidden AurAve.

Thanks for that history lesson. I guess that makes a lot of sense.

aaroads is using it.

https://github.com/TravelMapping/UserData/search?q=AurAve&unscoped_q=AurAve

Thanks. I'll have to keep that search thing in mind in the future.

I'd say this definitely warrants a good updates entry.  Apologies that I didn't notice one was not yet included when I merged in the change and ran an update.  It should be specific enough so that someone, like me, who had previously traveled that part of the route can know what new waypoints need to be used to "unclinch" the portion through the new tunnel.

Yes, there is indeed an updates entry: "Route moved off Alaskan Way Viaduct (now permanently closed) and into new SR 99 tunnel betweeen waypoints AlaWay (AtlSt) and AurAve (BroSt)." Considering that I renamed the BroSt waypoint AurAve, it might mess things up given that RoySt has the AurAve alt label. I think I'll have to go in and remove that. (forgot to do that originally)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 07:10:18 pm by compdude787 »

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:27:44 am
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 07:20:39 pm »
Sorry - I forgot to pull down the new updates.csv to my local clone so it didn't find it when I searched.  I see it now.  Thanks.

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 16, 2024, 01:40:37 am
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 02:00:26 am »
Got a bus clinch and a walking clinch of 99 to the exit nearest the stadium.  ;D

Sadly, the GPS went a bit bonkers as I drove through the Battery Street Tunnel the last week it was open so its track doesn't quite track. It had that problem other places downtown, too.