Author Topic: Asian Tier-1 systems (github issue submitted)  (Read 3037 times)

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
Asian Tier-1 systems (github issue submitted)
« on: April 16, 2016, 03:13:05 am »
First, thanks to Si for the great work mapping so many Asian systems!

I wonder why the "chng; China National Expressways" system appears and disappears on and off on the highway browser. Is there any reason why it's off again?

Why are Indian and Chinese states been handled different to USA, Canada and France? It's simliar to Mexico though...

Why are "IND-KA;Karnataka", "IND-UP;Uttar Pradesh", "CHN-BJ;Beijing" or "CHN-GZ;Guizhou" not directly be displayed on the highway brower main page? Will it be changed once they reach preview status?

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:28:40 pm
Re: Asian Tier-1 systems
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 08:07:58 am »
I wonder why the "chng; China National Expressways" system appears and disappears on and off on the highway browser. Is there any reason why it's off again?
It basically is whether it gets through the site update process as to whether. The many similar 2-digit province names are causing me errors, especially when I'm adding a considerable number of routes each time. They are easily fixable if you have what the errors are and know what the fix ought to be. Jim, however, doesn't know what the fix ought to be some of the time, and his job isn't to clean up after me anyway, so he just comments out the system.

Jim's planning on having a way of checking that the update would work being created in the summer, but chng will probably be 'done'  by this time next week. Only SC, CQ, a couple of YN routes, GZ, GX, HI and (most of) GD for me to make files for and the current rate suggests that's 'only' about three or four days' work.

Why are Indian and Chinese states been handled different to USA, Canada and France?
France's DOM-TOMs are handled by ISO 3116:1 for country codes (save Corsica, which is considered to be Metropolitan France by France Central Government, and a TOM by Corsican Regional Government. I took the ISO 3116:2 code and removed the hyphen as roads are signed as if Corsica is a territory). India and China's two-letter codes (I went with ISO 3116:2 for India, which doesn't match their postal codes exactly, and China's is their postal codes as the ISO 3116:2 codes are CN-00 format and it would be odd to have numbers) have clashes with North American ones and it would be weird to have CQ for Chonqing, but something longer or random for Sichuan, whose code is SC, so I went the Mexican approach of putting the alpha-3 country code beforehand (though Mexico isn't ISO compliant, though postal codes might be what was use way back when).

For Australia (which can easily change, whereas China and India are a little harder to change as there's all the routes to change. Especially China), I took a different approach, as most are three letters (NSW, QLD, TAS, VIC), and NT and WA have clashes, so I made them ANT and WAS. SA doesn't have a clash, but extending it to 3-digits for consistency by using the alpha-2 code for Australia (AU) meant a clash with Saudi Arabia, so I went with 'AS' in Western and South Australia as a way of adding a letter, rather than AU.
Why are "IND-KA;Karnataka", "IND-UP;Uttar Pradesh", "CHN-BJ;Beijing" or "CHN-GZ;Guizhou" not directly be displayed on the highway brower main page? Will it be changed once they reach preview status?
That's a question for those working on the Web project, not me. Note that many of these regions have preview level asiah routes, so it's not that.

I have only recently split these countries, so I'd imagine that that is something to do with it.

I added an issue about countries with multiple regions in Github. To be able to type "CAN", "GBR", "USA", "CHN", "IND" in the stats/browser pages would be useful.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 08:15:56 am by si404 »

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 09:07:11 am »
I added an issue about countries with multiple regions in Github. To be able to type "CAN", "GBR", "USA", "CHN", "IND" in the stats/browser pages would be useful.

I agree but I couldn't find the Github issue... Could you please link it. Thanks in advance!

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 09:13:17 am »

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 09:38:21 am »
Ah, sorry. I thought you've entered the issue right now ;)

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 07:51:40 pm »
China's National Expressways are 'done'. Check out the cool map http://tm.teresco.org/user/system.php?u=si404&sys=chng