Author Topic: cansf: Canada Select Named Freeways  (Read 74576 times)

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 06:11:34 am
Re: cannf: Canada Select Named Freeways
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2016, 12:32:01 am »
on.garexpy
The easternmost segment, beyond DonValPkwy, looks a bit off to me. Are we sure the route ends here, and that this shouldn't be considered a ramp?

As far as I understand, it's still considered as part of the Gardiner, especially since the route used to go all the way Leslie Street prior to 2001.

However, with the recent addition of exit numbers along the route (continuing the QEW numbering), this 'ramp' got #157, not the DVP side.  However, I haven't seen pictures yet to confirm that's exactly what happened with the numbering right there.

Offline julmac

• Last Login:February 18, 2024, 02:44:15 pm
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2017, 01:32:04 am »
Would not changing the name of the system to "Canada Select Named Freeways and Connectors" remove these tricky conundrums? This system would be most useful if it (in addition to covering all remaining freeways) filled in some key gaps between other systems. (Gaps that in many cases would be part of the state or equivalent highway systems in other regions).

Assuming it stays as a freeway system....

CroTrl - Is a planned future freeway - good as drafted, could be truncated to AB201 or AB1A_E (Banff Trail) to avoid duplication.

SheParkFrwy - Good as drafted although WB signage for "Sherwood Park Freeway" stops at Argyll road.

Glenmore Trail - Include the entire roadway within Calgary from 101 Street W (formal begin of AB8) to 84 Street E (formal begin of AB560). Is a future freeway from end to end. Should be truncated to Sarcee Trail upon opening of AB 201 SW in 2021

Macleod Trail - Include from AB201/22X to past Canyon Meadows Drive (5km). Interchange under construction at 162 Ave S.

Idyllwild Drive - Include if we are satisfied that SK11 is no longer routed along there (I am). Extend all the way to Circle Drive north if you like my "and Connectors" suggestion. This route will likely act as a de facto SK11 business route for many years due to remnant and implied "TO" signage.

CirDr - Not needed if SK11 is rerouted and activated. Otherwise, including only the SK11 portion would eliminate the north side non-freeway irritant.

GolEarsWay - south end is good with connection to BC15. North end should be truncated to BC7 (not an important connector/not a freeway north of there).

KniSt- agreed would be cleaner if truncated to BC91 and Marine Drive.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 01:36:17 am by julmac »

Offline 7/8

• Last Login:January 27, 2024, 09:32:10 pm
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2017, 05:08:36 pm »
What's the status on this system?

Also, should the freeway portion of Highbury Avenue in London, ON, and Nikola Tesla Blvd in Hamilton, ON be added to this?

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 06:11:34 am
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2017, 12:32:19 pm »
Also, should the freeway portion of Highbury Avenue in London, ON, and Nikola Tesla Blvd in Hamilton, ON be added to this?

Hit me up with some links and I'll take a look at them since I maintain ON (and yes, I know I have some other stuff to fix still on the main routes in the future).

Offline 7/8

• Last Login:January 27, 2024, 09:32:10 pm
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2017, 05:08:15 pm »
Here's the Wikipedia page for Highbury Avenue. The freeway portion heads north from the 401, then has interchanges with Bradley Avenue and Commissioners Road before ending at Hamilton Road.

Here's a screenshot from Google Maps:

And here's the Wikipedia page for Burlington Street/Nikola Tesla Boulevard. The freeway portion of Burlington Street was recently renamed as Nikola Tesla Blvd, and it heads west from the QEW, with interchanges at Woodward Avenue, Parkdale Avenue, and Strathearne Avenue before ending at Ottawa Street.

Here's another screenshot from Google Maps:

Offline JJBers

• Last Login:October 18, 2023, 11:35:53 pm
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2017, 12:10:28 am »
Here's the Wikipedia page for Highbury Avenue. The freeway portion heads north from the 401, then has interchanges with Bradley Avenue and Commissioners Road before ending at Hamilton Road.

Here's a screenshot from Google Maps:

And here's the Wikipedia page for Burlington Street/Nikola Tesla Boulevard. The freeway portion of Burlington Street was recently renamed as Nikola Tesla Blvd, and it heads west from the QEW, with interchanges at Woodward Avenue, Parkdale Avenue, and Strathearne Avenue before ending at Ottawa Street.

Here's another screenshot from Google Maps:

I think it should be added
From Eastern Connecticut

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:09:32 am
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2018, 09:41:13 pm »
After recently driving Golden Ears Way, Knight St, and Glenmore Tr, I agree with julmac's suggestion for keeping these in/adding these to the system.

I also drove Whoop-Up Dr in Lethbridge, which needs to be added to the system, obviously. It's not especially long, nor does it connect to anything, but it's a freeway, and the name.

Clinched:

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:03:34 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2018, 12:20:46 am »
I also drove Whoop-Up Dr in Lethbridge, which needs to be added to the system, obviously. It's not especially long, nor does it connect to anything, but it's a freeway, and the name.

Darn, I was in Lethbridge this Thursday evening. If you'd mentioned this sooner, I could've checked this out on my way out of town this morning (Friday).

I did notice the signs for Fort Whoop-Up, but didn't notice the associated road.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2018, 05:49:51 pm »

Darn, I was in Lethbridge this Thursday evening. If you'd mentioned this sooner, I could've checked this out on my way out of town this morning (Friday).

I did notice the signs for Fort Whoop-Up, but didn't notice the associated road.

Did you notice the sign for Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump? What the hell is that all about?
Clinched:

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2018, 12:43:09 am »
Did you notice the sign for Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump? What the hell is that all about?

I went there a few years ago. That was one of many "buffalo jumps", naturally configured so that buffalo could be herded and driven off the side of a cliff, and the buffalo wouldn't realize it until it was too late. That was a good way for the local native tribes to stock up on meat for the winter.

"Head-Smashed-In" refers to what happened to a stupid young brave who wanted to see the buffalo herd landing at the bottom of the cliff, only he got too close to the action.

I was going to send out postcards from there, but at the visitor centre noticed ads for Vulcan, "Star Trek Capital of Canada", north of Lethbridge. So I went there next. Postcards from HSI would've required some explanation; no such issue with the cards from Vulcan, especially the ones showing the giant replica Vulcan starship along highway 23. My guess, looking at your travels on that highway and AB 534, is that you missed that attraction.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 12:46:08 am by oscar »

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2018, 09:13:51 am »

I went there a few years ago. That was one of many "buffalo jumps", naturally configured so that buffalo could be herded and driven off the side of a cliff, and the buffalo wouldn't realize it until it was too late. That was a good way for the local native tribes to stock up on meat for the winter.

"Head-Smashed-In" refers to what happened to a stupid young brave who wanted to see the buffalo herd landing at the bottom of the cliff, only he got too close to the action.
Your descriptive explanation of this far exceeds anything I could have imagined. Thank you. Now I must return.

My guess, looking at your travels on that highway and AB 534, is that you missed that attraction.
Nah, I’m not into science fiction. When I’m traveling alone, I rarely stop for most attractions. If one of my kids is with me, we have a weakness for outsider art, but alone I’m satisfied with racking up miles. And donuts.

Obligatory on-topic comment: might we take a moment to re-examine this system and move at least some of the proposed routes to Preview?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 09:39:55 am by mapcat »
Clinched:

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2018, 08:21:39 pm »
Obligatory on-topic comment: might we take a moment to re-examine this system and move at least some of the proposed routes to Preview?

I don't see much point in a partial switch. Nudge people into getting all the routes in their jurisdictions preview-ready, then put it all in preview.

I can't speak for BC, not being familiar with its draft routes. But the one route in SK is preview-ready, and indeed got helpful comments from julmac in connection with his ongoing peer review of cansk. Other candidates are short (Ring Rd. and the incomplete Regina Bypass, which might get one or more route numbers when it's done next year).

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2018, 09:26:20 pm »
I don't see much point in a partial switch. Nudge people into getting all the routes in their jurisdictions preview-ready, then put it all in preview.
I meant let's move the system to preview soon, even if it means deleting some of the iffy ones.
Clinched:

Offline julmac

• Last Login:February 18, 2024, 02:44:15 pm
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2018, 11:43:53 pm »
Anyone else in favour of renaming the system to "Canada Select Freeways and Connectors"?

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2018, 03:33:47 pm »
Seems like a bunch more routes would have to be included if it is renamed.  I don't see the need; most of the routes are all freeways anyways (at least the included portions).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.