Author Topic: PA: US 22 Potential Point Errors Between Monroeville and Lewistown  (Read 2522 times)

Online Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:47:13 pm
1.   Point for Viewtop St(VieSt) would be better served at Ford’s Corner Rd.
2.   I am unsure about the true existence of the concurrency of PA 764.  The interchanges at the north end are mixed about whether PA 764 continues with US 22 to US 220 BUS.  Only “TO PA 764” references are at the US 220 BUS intersection.  I’m fine with leaving it as-is due to the signage being unclear IMO.
3.   PennSt_W point should be for Fairgrounds Rd.
4.   PennSt_E should be just PennSt.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
Re: PA: US 22 Potential Point Errors Between Monroeville and Lewistown
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 02:26:02 pm »
1.   Point for Viewtop St(VieSt) would be better served at Ford’s Corner Rd.
VieSt Appears to have only been added as a shaping point, to keep the shape of the route trace between DisMouRd and PA271 within tolerance. Looking at the map, it does a good job of that. While a point Ford’s Corner Rd would probably be more useful, and still keep the shaping within tolerance, VieSt is already in use by at least one traveler, so it should thus be left in place IMO.

2.   I am unsure about the true existence of the concurrency of PA 764.
Digging into the RMSSEG_State_Roads shapefiles for this one...
The TRAF_RT_NO, TRAF_RT_1 and TRAF_RT_2 attributes contain a roadway's primary designation, and TRAF_RT_3, TRAF_RT_4 and TRAF_RT_5 contain the secondary designation. For the 22/220Bus overlap on 3rd Ave, these have values of "US", "022", NULL, "US", "220", and "B".
Looking now to 6th Ave Rd AKA William Penn Hwy, TRAF_RT_3 = NULL, TRAF_RT_4 = "000", and TRAF_RT_5 = NULL.
Starting at the 22<->99 connector's overpass, the PA 764 designation appears in TRAF_RT_NO & TRAF_RT_1. The CUM_OFFSET datum starts off at 0.
Based on this, I think it's safe to say that PA764 ends at US22, rather than US220Bus.

The interchanges at the north end are mixed about whether PA 764 continues with US 22 to US 220 BUS.
Not decisive IMO, as this ramp indeed leads to PA764 North.
This, OTOH...  >:(

Only “TO PA 764” references are at the US 220 BUS intersection.
Confirmed: a "TO" from two directions, no mention of PA764 from the 3rd approach, And no END sign southbound. (There's no END sign at the trumpet interchange to the north either.)

3.   PennSt_W point should be for Fairgrounds Rd.
4.   PennSt_E should be just PennSt.
Changed in my local copy.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 02:49:37 pm »
https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/2150
I haven't made the changes to truncate PA764 yet. Partly to allow more time for discussion if needed, partly cuz I'm too lazy to bother with updates text now, before heading off to work. :D
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 06:11:34 am
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 09:46:51 pm »
Only “TO PA 764” references are at the US 220 BUS intersection.
Confirmed: a "TO" from two directions, no mention of PA764 from the 3rd approach, And no END sign southbound. (There's no END sign at the trumpet interchange to the north either.)

Those "TO" tabs seem to be very new in that area (~2015).  Last time I remember going thru there, they didn't exist and I think that was ~2012.

But then again, we have this sign on US-22 just after it leaves the expressway. :/

I'm guessing PennDOT's plan was to put PA-764 down to US-220 Business once they extended US-22 past the I-99 interchange.  I honestly could still see that happening, but who knows.  I mean, all they'd have to do is create a 2-lane 'ramp' (1 lane each direction) over I-99, the RR tracks and connect it to Municipal Drive and then route US-22 down Plank Road (US-220 Business) to Broad Street and Duncansville will be bypassed, removing the annoying & congested section of 3rd Avenue.  It might be the best they'll ever be able to do, as it would take a ton of property if they wanted to ever bypass Hollidaysburg, and I could see them being fought tooth and nail over that.  At least with my idea, very little property would be needed, and just a little widening of Municipal Drive (a 2nd lane going EB) after the ramp connections.

=====

On a side note, I think we should add a few points to PA-764 in downtown Altoona as well.  Especially for those two big turns in it's routing.  Would recommend the following:
East 6th Ave/Lloyd Street
East Walton Ave/South Kettle Street

Adding those would allow a more accurate route being shown in town.

Also would recommend a point @ 6th Ave/North Logan Blvd, as that a direct connection to PA-36, & I-99/US-220, and a logical bypass of the 'residential' section of PA-36 there, as it's a 4-lane road and connects to both sides of that section of PA-36.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 09:56:32 pm by rickmastfan67 »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 01:54:44 am »
On a side note, I think we should add a few points to PA-764 in downtown Altoona as well.
I agree with all 3 suggestions.

Online Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 09:35:02 pm »
https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/2167

PA 764: Added points as requested with recentering.  I also added one for 7th St to match the US 220 BUS (Altoona) file.
US 220 BUS:  Fixed Minor Point Errors, did recentering, and added point at Kettle St after adding one for PA 764.

I am considering this one solved as the PA 764 concurrency with US 22 is too unclear to remove, and the VieRd point is still in-use.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 04:18:51 pm by Markkos1992 »

Online Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 10:21:21 am »
US 22: I added both Chickaree Hill Rd and Ford's Corner Rd (ForCorRd).  Both were in the area of VieSt are state routes.  VieSt became an alternate label for ChiHillRd.  This was done while revisiting and recentering all of US 22.

https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/2315

I found a news release on the pavement preservation project ongoing along the US 22/PA 764 (referred to as Route 22/Route 764) concurrency and part of PA 764 just to the north. 

I definitely do not feel that the situation has become any more clear whether the concurrency exists or not so it stays.