Author Topic: usamos: Missouri Supplemental Highways?  (Read 3872 times)

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:38:25 am
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
usamos: Missouri Supplemental Highways?
« on: March 03, 2016, 04:44:03 pm »
I don't know if I'm opening a can of works with this or not, but here goes...

These are the "Highway N (or N Highway if you're in the KC area)" routes with the square shield, and they are in fact state highways (not county ones like Wisconsin).

Pros:
Help complete the North American highway network
Add routes that may fill gaps in some users files

Cons:
They make up 59% of Missouri's highway network and are mostly pointless (maybe why they went bankrupt?)
Users probably don't drive them to clinch them, e.g. Corco Highways skips them like county routes
Letters do repeat (but not in the same county)
Would probably be very confusing to have in the HB

If no one has started this (and if it's even a good idea to put them in the first place), I'd be willing to do a basic rough draft of these so you guys can focus on more important things.

If this is complete nonsense, you can say so.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:09:32 am
Re: usamos: Missouri Supplemental Highways?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 05:24:48 pm »
I don't know if I'm opening a can of works with this or not, but here goes...

These are the "Highway N (or N Highway if you're in the KC area)" routes with the square shield, and they are in fact state highways (not county ones like Wisconsin).

Pros:
Help complete the North American highway network
Add routes that may fill gaps in some users files

Cons:
They make up 59% of Missouri's highway network and are mostly pointless (maybe why they went bankrupt?)
Users probably don't drive them to clinch them, e.g. Corco Highways skips them like county routes
Letters do repeat (but not in the same county)
Would probably be very confusing to have in the HB

IMO cons (especially that last one) outweigh the pros.

If no one has started this (and if it's even a good idea to put them in the first place), I'd be willing to do a basic rough draft of these so you guys can focus on more important things.

I wouldn't call it complete nonsense, but do you think you'd really be able to stick with it for all 115 counties? That has burn-out written all over it, and especially considering the payoff is probably minimal for most users, I'd hate to lose your valuable input in other matters to this deep, dark hole.
Clinched:

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:38:25 am
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
Re: usamos: Missouri Supplemental Highways?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 08:38:28 pm »

I wouldn't call it complete nonsense, but do you think you'd really be able to stick with it for all 115 counties? That has burn-out written all over it, and especially considering the payoff is probably minimal for most users, I'd hate to lose your valuable input in other matters to this deep, dark hole.
Oh, I wouldn't lose any input on this... maybe read fewer blogs or do fewer OSM changesets instead. Personally, I think it would be fun, although it would take a while.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton