User Discussions > Other Discussion

How to get involved with data/highway system creation/maintenance?

(1/4) > >>

cl94:
I've been using TM for a couple of years now and, as someone who does a lot of data work, I was wondering how I could get involved with drafting some of the missing highway systems and maintaining the database. I don't have a ton of free time, but I figured I could try and get involved here during the free time I have.

I work with data as a grad student at RPI, so I'm quite familiar with text files of the sort used on the backend. In off-site discussions, I have learned most of the conventions used here (signed routes only, etc.) and, having looked at some of the waypoint files, I'm roughly familiar with the coding scheme.

I have noticed that we are missing all of the state routes in AL, AR, MS and most of LA at this point. I'd be more than willing to work on drafting one of these. AR definitely has some fine points we may need to come to a consensus on (like how we model concurrencies if ArDOT doesn't officially recognize said concurrency in the logs), but the others seem to be relatively cut and dry.

mapcat:
Thanks for the offer. I'm working on usaar right now and hope to have the set in preview by summer.

Froggie is working on usams, and someone may still be working on usala (nothing has been added to that set since it was moved here from CHM, AFAIK).

Rather than starting out drafting a new set, maybe you'd want to look first at some of the sets that haven't been updated regularly, like the Mexico Federal Expressways, or do some review of a system in preview.

Jim:
I hope you decide to contribute.  As mapcat suggested, the best way to start is likely by participating in peer review of one of the "preview" systems, then help update a system or two that don't have an active maintainer.  Once you've got the procedures and guidelines for the routes down, you could pick a system to work on developing.

mapmikey:
The person who was going to peer review the South Carolina State set hasn't posted on here in a really long time now, so there's a system that could use somebody to look at the files.

Otherwise I will have to eventually do it but it would be better if someone who didn't draft it went through it instead...

ntallyn:
I might be able to take some time to review SC, but I won't be able to do it until mid-March. And considering I offered to help very early with the back end, and never ended up doing anything, it might be a way to get back involved. :)

Nick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version