Author Topic: NY: NY 232's southern terminus  (Read 2022 times)

Offline dave1693

• Last Login:November 21, 2023, 11:28:54 pm
NY: NY 232's southern terminus
« on: July 03, 2019, 01:31:35 am »
After last weekend's trip, I noticed that NY 232's southern terminus and the corresponding waypoint on I-81 (interchange 44) aren't in the same place, and this doen't appear to be a NMP.

I-81's waypoint 44 is right at the overpasses that carry I-81 over NY 232. NY 232's waypoint marked "I-81", however, is further south on I-81 -- right in the middle of where the entrance and exit ramps meet with the through lanes of the interstate. This doesn't make sense to me. What's up with that?

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
Re: NY: NY 232's southern terminus
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 07:12:58 am »
It's because of how the interchange is configured.  It was done this way to delineate that NY 232 follows the road on the east side of 81.  The roadway to/from the southbound ramps, that goes under 81, has a separate reference number (I don't recall which offhand, and NYSDOT typically doesn't sign them).

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 01:41:20 pm »
A situation very similar to the north end of US9.
https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/issues/145
As I just posted in that thread,
Willing to reconsider this. NYSDOT seems to only inventory a given route number in the primary direction. For couplets, the roadway carrying the other direction gets a reference route marker, even it's signed as the touring route in question.
Joe Traveler driving here won't realize he's on a reference route (if you look at the reference route LGSes, you're a roadgeek. :) ); if it's well-signed, he'll just see he's on the touring route.
Combine this with how we try to split couplets down the middle most of the time, and the fact that two outta three signs have US9 along the western service road, I can justify changing US9 to end as @jteresco suggested.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 11:34:00 am »
^ In terms of your US 9 reference, are you suggesting that US 9 no longer continues north past the northbound 87 ramps?

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 03:08:54 pm »
US9 was truncated (in TM) back to the I-87 ramps in Nov 2015 per the linked issue.
At that time, the endpoint was moved farther south on the east service road, to the NB ramps, with no graph connection to I-87. I was considering the west service road as a separate road, not a part of southbound US9.
Now, I've relocated the endpoint to the same coords as the I-87 interchange, counting the west service road as part of SB US9.