Author Topic: UT: some northern Utah issues  (Read 2238 times)

Offline US 89

• Last Login:March 15, 2024, 08:50:53 am
UT: some northern Utah issues
« on: May 09, 2019, 07:22:38 pm »
Couple issues I observed, both of which are incorrectly shown on Google Maps but are correct on OSM:

UT 13 is shown on an old alignment between the current UT83 and 4800W_S waypoints. Instead of taking that shortcut to Corinne, 13 goes directly south to 83 before turning east. The east end of UT 83 would need to be slightly truncated as well.

Also, the north end of UT 82 is incorrect. Instead of proceeding east on Factory Street all the way to 13, it turns north on 5400 West.

Offline mikeandkristie

• Last Login:March 20, 2024, 07:58:41 pm
Re: UT: some northern Utah issues
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 03:39:56 pm »
Couple issues I observed, both of which are incorrectly shown on Google Maps but are correct on OSM:

UT 13 is shown on an old alignment between the current UT83 and 4800W_S waypoints. Instead of taking that shortcut to Corinne, 13 goes directly south to 83 before turning east. The east end of UT 83 would need to be slightly truncated as well.

Also, the north end of UT 82 is incorrect. Instead of proceeding east on Factory Street all the way to 13, it turns north on 5400 West.

I noticed the UT 13 / UT 83 thing as well and you beat me to saying it.  To be sure, we drove along the Corinne Cutoff through town as well as along the main sides labeled UT 13 and UT 83 to be sure.  The cutoff is even 25 mph along part of it.  And I may be mis-remembering, but it looked like a lower quality road.  The GSV from 2013 show a center line, but I don't remember that.  The satellite view doesn't show those lines either.  Maybe they downgraded it in the last few years.  There's a big gas station where 13 and 83 are T-ing into each other.

And I'm ticked if what you say about UT 82 is correct as I thought we'd clinched it.  But, it would explain a lot.  I was driving us north on UT 13 and saw a sign for To UT 82.  There was a small exit as they were grade separated.  OSM has that labeled West 12800 North.  Turned left and continued straight into what gets labeled Factory Street in town.  I also didn't see a sign at the four-way stop at Main Street for UT 82 turning.  Continued through it until it didn't look right and checked Google Maps on my wife's phone before turning around and then continuing towards UT 102.  Then, later that day, we went up to I-15 Exit 392 and came back south on UT 13.  I saw the sign for UT 82 as UT 13 starts curving around.  I thought that maybe it was just a really long off ramp.  We continued on UT 13 as we were trying to finish that section.  If I had realized its location was questionable, I would have come back around and "circled the block" like we did in Corinne.

So, US 89, were you in northern Utah for the Spike 150 celebration as well?

Mike

Offline US 89

• Last Login:March 15, 2024, 08:50:53 am
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 11:39:37 pm »
So, US 89, were you in northern Utah for the Spike 150 celebration as well?

I wish. I wasn't able to make it up for the actual celebration, but I live in the Salt Lake area and had Thursday free, so I figured I'd go clinch some stuff up in that area and maybe drop by the spike. Interestingly I did see a ton of brand-new Golden Spike signage that had clearly been put up in advance of the events, and a lot of it was on routes that I really wouldn't expect to have much if any Golden Spike traffic.

Looking at the UDOT highway resolutions, UT 13 was moved off the Corinne Cutoff in 2008. As for 82, it looks like it's been on the current alignment since at least 1977, and Google and other mapping sites have just been getting it wrong for years.

If you're in Utah in the future and want to be sure of what you're clinching, I recommend this map: https://maps.udot.utah.gov/uplan_data/documents/HRO/

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:26:16 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 12:27:36 am »