Author Topic: usaush: United States Historic US Routes  (Read 165333 times)

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:48:52 pm
Re: usaush: United States Historic US Routes
« Reply #315 on: May 04, 2023, 10:19:25 pm »
Looking, it's 1PPIing the ramp between CA110 and N San Fernando Road with the pre-existing exit 26A point on CA110.

Came in here to point this out and yeah I think this is a case where we need to break the graph connection since keeping it makes the route trace for US99HisLos way too janky.

Relatedly, I think we need to break this route up into separate Los Angeles and San Fernando segments. Here's why:
- in Burbank, just north of MagBlvd, the old US 99 alignment no longer exists since a shopping mall has been built on top of it. There are no signs directing traffic around. Indeed... there are no historic US 99 signs anywhere in Burbank at all. The signs disappear after the Los Angeles/Glendale City line, which is at Tyburn Street a few blocks south of the GleBlvd point. So, US99HisLos should end there.
- there is another discontinuity in the route at the I-5(147) point where following it would require jumping up onto (northbound) or down off of (southbound) an overpass with no ramps connecting it to the road underneath. There are no historic US 99 signs between the two discontinuities. The next place they appear north of Burbank is at the Van Nuys Blvd intersection, so that (or the next point south depending on how you wish to interpret it) is where the south end of the San Fernando section should be.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:10:15 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #316 on: June 25, 2023, 11:25:53 pm »
Earlier today, I noticed several US 20 Historic signs in Sac County IA, along CRD36 between IA 471 and US 71. There's also a sign at the intersection with IA 471 indicating the historic route continues north along 471, though I didn't see any historic signage between CRD36 and present-day US 20, to indicate where the historic route goes.

This is just for information, in case I have an opportunity to add that segment of CRD36 to my list file (don't know whether adding it to usaush is warranted).

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:March 27, 2024, 09:35:08 pm
« Reply #317 on: June 26, 2023, 10:05:09 pm »
You’re going to find them along the whole of Iowa eventually. Black Hawk, Buchanan, Delaware, and Dubuque counties are marked.
Completed:
* Systems: DC, WI
* by US State: AR: I&; AZ: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I*; NE: I; NJ, I; OH: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI; (AR, IN pending expansions.)

*Previously completed

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:50:09 pm
« Reply #318 on: June 28, 2023, 12:45:35 pm »
Earlier today, I noticed several US 20 Historic signs in Sac County IA, along CRD36 between IA 471 and US 71. There's also a sign at the intersection with IA 471 indicating the historic route continues north along 471, though I didn't see any historic signage between CRD36 and present-day US 20, to indicate where the historic route goes.

This is just for information, in case I have an opportunity to add that segment of CRD36 to my list file (don't know whether adding it to usaush is warranted).
There's also US20 Historic signs along CRD36 at IA4 and US20 on GMSV.
You’re going to find them along the whole of Iowa eventually.
Indeed - and 'eventually' might be rather soon given the rate that the rest has been rolled out, and that Iowa has designated Historic US20 across the state as something more official - though anything is more official than 'guy selling signs did some ninja placement of signs for marketing purposes' as it was a few years ago!  ;)

eg, here's some US20 Historic signs on GMSV further west than the 4 counties you mention atCorrectionville, Fort Dodge, Webster City, Iowa Falls and Ackley

Offline vespertine

• Last Login:January 15, 2024, 09:49:44 pm
« Reply #319 on: July 10, 2023, 05:21:00 pm »
I had the opportunity to drive some of the old US20 route (using the maps at historicus20.com as a guide) while en route to clinch the rest US20 in Iowa. Travelling west from Ackley to IA471, I found the old US20 route decently signed with historic markers, and nearly all turns marked. The same cannot be said for the route from Cushing to Sioux City; while there were historic signs at the city limits of Cushing and Correctionville, no other signage appears present through this stretch. Take of this what you will, if you wish to include this route or not.

v.

Offline cockroachking

• Last Login:Today at 12:09:20 am
« Reply #320 on: October 31, 2023, 12:04:49 am »
IL US66HisChi:
The point IL29_S is in the Walgreens parking lot instead of the intersection, and is thus causing graph connection and concurrency issues with IL29 and I-55BLSpr.

Offline cl94

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:53:29 am
« Reply #321 on: December 16, 2023, 09:20:25 pm »
I found a signed Historic US 50 this afternoon in Folsom, CA. 4 blocks of Sutter Street downtown, from the Folsom Blvd ramp to Riley Street. That is the extent of what was US 50 along Sutter Street, so it is correct. I saw no signs on either side of downtown.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #322 on: January 10, 2024, 09:39:40 am »
I found a signed Historic US 50 this afternoon in Folsom, CA. 4 blocks of Sutter Street downtown, from the Folsom Blvd ramp to Riley Street. That is the extent of what was US 50 along Sutter Street, so it is correct. I saw no signs on either side of downtown.
It's really strange they have the US50His signs, because the signs elsewhere in Folsom are Lincoln Highway* ones, of which there are none on Sutter Street.

Anyway, this short and isolated route has been added locally. I also looked elsewhere (Altamont Pass, Folsom Blvd in Sacramento) and found no other signed routes.

*A route, along with the Great River Road, is crying out to be added at some point!

Offline cl94

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:53:29 am
« Reply #323 on: January 10, 2024, 09:07:56 pm »
It's really strange they have the US50His signs, because the signs elsewhere in Folsom are Lincoln Highway* ones, of which there are none on Sutter Street.

Anyway, this short and isolated route has been added locally. I also looked elsewhere (Altamont Pass, Folsom Blvd in Sacramento) and found no other signed routes.

*A route, along with the Great River Road, is crying out to be added at some point!

IMO, the Lincoln Highway and Great River Road are more worthy than some of the things we currently include (not that I endorse removing anything,  I'm on the "include as much as possible" train). Both are signed extremely well, sometimes better than state routes. In the case of the LH, it's often signed better than Old 40 and Old 50 in California/ Nevada and are functionally equivalent to historic US routes.

Offline osu-lsu

• Last Login:Yesterday at 10:10:04 pm
« Reply #324 on: January 11, 2024, 12:00:54 am »
Best to know your Lincoln Highways (yes, plural) then.
https://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/map/

Offline CoreySamson

• Last Login:March 24, 2024, 08:06:29 pm
« Reply #325 on: February 16, 2024, 09:11:02 pm »
Is there any reason that US66HisTul was removed from the corpus that I'm not aware of? Just noticed that today.

EDIT: Just noticed the new US66HisOkl, consider my problem solved.
Clincher of FM roads. Proud micro passer. Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #326 on: February 17, 2024, 05:33:35 am »
Is there any reason that US66HisTul was removed from the corpus that I'm not aware of? Just noticed that today.

EDIT: Just noticed the new US66HisOkl, consider my problem solved.
Your travels on US66HisTul, and other routes absorbed by the extended US66HisOkl, should carry over. No update entries as the system is preview rather than active.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:38:25 am
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
« Reply #327 on: February 19, 2024, 09:41:35 am »

IMO, the Lincoln Highway and Great River Road are more worthy than some of the things we currently include (not that I endorse removing anything,  I'm on the "include as much as possible" train). Both are signed extremely well, sometimes better than state routes. In the case of the LH, it's often signed better than Old 40 and Old 50 in California/ Nevada and are functionally equivalent to historic US routes.

Lewis and Clark Trail too, there's a good online map for it (https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/87266b6613aa443cb437ef26c2077fff/) and it's really well signed in my experience.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:48:52 pm
« Reply #328 on: Yesterday at 10:42:49 pm »
Regarding US66HisOkl: it is signed westbound as turning right off of NW 39th onto Penn Ave, and then turning left onto I-44. Eastbound is signed as following NW 39th from I-44 exit 124, as is mapped.

NW 39th is actually the historic alignment, the signed westbound jog on Penn is presumably for continuity's sake since if you proceed west on NW 39th you will find it becomes one-way eastbound a few blocks later and not be able to continue following it. Still, worth a note.

Also: there are several alignments of Historic US 66 signed in Oklahoma City. The one that is mapped is the original 1926 routing. But there are also signs posted for the 1930 alignment (39th-Western instead of 39th-Classen), 1933 alignment (May-23rd instead of 39th-Classen-23rd), 1931 Beltline (Western-Britton from 39th to Kelley), 1936 Beltline (Classen from 39th to Western) and 1947 Beltline (May-Britton from 39th to Kelley).

Since these are all signed I'd say they should all be mapped.

The city's tourism website has a handy map.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:48:59 pm by Duke87 »