Author Topic: usaca: California State Highways  (Read 135527 times)

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
Re: usaca (California State Highways), preview system
« Reply #180 on: September 27, 2018, 10:02:25 am »
Some discussion in the usanyp thread mentions the closure of CA39. I presume on San Gabriel Canyon Rd north of the Azusa segment. I checked this thread and searched the forum to jog my memory about the circumstances surrounding its closure, and came up empty. ISTR some discussion about this (by Oscar? Someone else?) somewhere (Here? AARoads? GitHub? Somewhere else?) sometime... Any leads?
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:22:25 pm
« Reply #181 on: September 27, 2018, 11:06:29 am »
Some discussion in the usanyp thread mentions the closure of CA39. I presume on San Gabriel Canyon Rd north of the Azusa segment. I checked this thread and searched the forum to jog my memory about the circumstances surrounding its closure, and came up empty. ISTR some discussion about this (by Oscar? Someone else?) somewhere (Here? AARoads? GitHub? Somewhere else?) sometime... Any leads?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_39#History

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:22:25 pm
« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2018, 09:33:02 pm »
CA12 and CA88 need a point at CRJ5_S at what OSM labels "Jack Tone Bypass". The current TulRd should be CRJ5_N.
http://www.google.com/maps/@38.1562256,-121.1548214,3a,33.2y,38.25h,79.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGANYRj6Xzq4oFqZP9AWMew!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:03:34 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #183 on: September 29, 2018, 10:36:47 pm »
^ Looks consistent with other (including older) GMSV imagery in the area. In my queue, along with the CA 49 Historic you spotted in San Andreas.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #184 on: October 24, 2018, 10:05:39 pm »
There is a signed CA 49 Historic on Gold Strike Road from San Andreas north. Signs:
south end
north end

After I drove through San Andreas earlier today, to check out and clinch that route you spotted, I noticed (and think I clinched) a similarly-signed Historic CA 49 in Mokelumne Hill a few miles to the north. This one appears to consist of Main Street and Center Street.

Before I add this to the HB, worth poking around GMSV and cahighways.org for any other missing Historic CA 49s. I'm pretty sure there are no others on the part of CA 49 I drove today, between Coulterville and Jackson, but maybe there are others in or north of Jackson.

BTW, the town of San Andreas, in the Sierra Nevada foothills, is nowhere near the San Andreas Fault, and also is in the part of California that won't fall into the ocean. :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 11:04:40 pm by oscar »

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #185 on: November 02, 2018, 07:31:08 pm »
I just got back home from northern California, where I did some field-checking while I think clinching all the state routes in northern California I hadn't already covered. The only ones I'm still missing are some in the four coastal counties from Los Angeles County to San Luis Obispo County.

I'll be shortly submitting the following changes to route files, which might affect your list files so watch your error logs:

-- Add CA 49 Historic (Mokelumne Hill), per preceding post, with conforming changes to the CA 49 route file

-- Delete CA 114 as unsigned

-- Truncate CA 87 north of US 101 (Caltrans' Postmile Query Tool says the route ends at US 101)

-- Truncate CA 82 east of I-880, removing mileage relinquished to the city of San Jose (some remnant old route signage, but not enough to guide travelers through several turns in downtown; plus this does not break the route in two), with conforming relabel of north endpoint in San Francisco

-- Adding a few more visible points for CA 61 (Oakland Airport), most notably for the turnoff for the Oakland airport's consolidated car rental facility, and also the winding CA 130 to the Lick Observatory atop Mt. Hamilton

-- Corrected some labels for CA 1 Business (Monterey) and CA 68.

The eastern segment of CA 146, to the east entrance to Pinnacles National Park, also appears to be unsigned. 2012 GMSV shows route signage within or just outside the park (junction markers on CA 25, End 146 marker at the old entrance station, postmiles between the old entrance station and CA 25), even after the park was expanded in 2006 to include all of CA 146's eastern segment. That route signage now has all disappeared. However, this may be temporary, pending decisions by the National Park Service on building a new east entrance station somewhere closer to CA 25, which might result in decommissioning all of eastern CA 146 or only part of it (Caltrans' Postmile Query Tool indicates none of it has yet been decommissioned). So I would hold off for now on removing the segment from the HB. The legislature has authorized the total relinquishment of CA 146, but that hasn't happened except the short stretch of the western segment within Soledad city limits, which has adequate continuation signage so I would leave that alone.

EDIT: I'm adding to today's pull request the removal of relinquished segments of CA 92, CA 185, and CA 238 in Hayward. This set of relinquishments was unusual, in that Hayward was not required to maintain signage pointing to the rest of each route, only to direct travelers to the rest of the state highway network. Sure enough, I saw no continuation signage on the relinquished segments. My changes will remove a few blocks from the east end of CA 92 and the south end of CA 185, and a few miles from the middle of CA 238 (splitting that route into the main Fremont segment, and a short stub in Castro Valley connecting to the I-238 and I-580 freeways).

cahighways.org indicates that in October 2017, the California Transportation Commission approved additional relinquishments for CA 92 east of Santa Clara St., CA 185 south of Rose St., and CA 238 between Industrial Pkwy and Hayward's southern city limit. However, the Postmile Query Tool indicates these latest relinquishments have not yet been implemented -- such delays are common, such as when the city in question wants the state to catch up on roadwork before taking the road off Caltrans' hands. I'll wait on these additional truncations before removing them from the HB.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 09:19:35 pm by oscar »

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #186 on: November 03, 2018, 05:33:19 pm »
Pull request submitted for above changes, and also to clean up unused usaca route files:

https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/2336

EDIT: In addition to removing CA 114 from the HB, I've made a follow-up pull request to rename the CA114 point in the CA 84 (Fremont) route file to WilRd.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 04:37:48 pm by oscar »

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #187 on: February 01, 2019, 04:52:32 pm »
Following up on mapmikey's note from his recent visit to San Diego, I'm truncating the south end of CA 15 to waypoint 1A (Main St.), removing the waypoint for 32ndSt. All the official sources (CalNExUS exit number list, Caltrans Postmile Query Tool, old Caltrans route log) confirm that CA 15 extends south of the I-5 interchange, but ends at Main St. rather than 32nd St.

This has been changed in my local files, and will be pulled into the HB with my next update.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #188 on: September 05, 2019, 11:10:41 pm »
Copied over from the Florida State Highways topic, for later followup. See https://goo.gl/maps/V7GBBQZNjAUdgb1q7 (END CA 16 sign on Howe Ave. north of Folsom Blvd. before US50 interchange, which I didn't notice when I drove by there in 2017).

Reliquishment of part of CA 16 in Sacramento and Sacramento County has been authorized and agreed to by the local jurisdictions. However, the Postmile Query Tool still shows it as part of CA 16. The authorizing statute requires application to Caltrans to convert the relinquished CA 16 segments into a business route. Not clear what's happening with that, but in the meantime the local jurisdictions are required to maintain continuation signage.

usaca has no standard on implied multiplexes, other than that the implied route can follow only one signed route.
http://travelmapping.net/hb/index.php?r=ca.ca016
http://travelmapping.net/hb/index.php?r=ca.ca099
Do these need to be split?

Maybe 16, whose multiplex follows I-5 and US 50, and is poorly signed if at all.

99, IIRC that multiplex (also over shorter segments of I-5 and US 50) is reasonably well-signed.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 12:18:06 pm by oscar »

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #189 on: September 06, 2019, 12:45:42 pm »
I'll shortly split CA 16 into a main segment west of Woodland, and separate Willow Springs segment from Sacramento east. This will remove the supposed multiplex with I-5 and US 50. That multiplex is unsigned, and the END CA 16 sign mentioned in the preceding post seals the deal for me.

OTOH, CA 99 will be left as is. There is adequate signage to guide CA 99 travelers though the multiplex with I-5 and US 50.

I'm also truncating CA 14U. Caltrans' best efforts to remove the route entirely from the books have not yet been successful, but it has transferred some of the route to local governments, as shown in Caltrans' Postmile Query Tool.

EDIT: Above changes are now in the Highway Browser.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 07:30:07 pm by oscar »

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:44:01 pm
« Reply #190 on: September 14, 2019, 06:34:54 am »
CA16 has a wp label with invalid character: "+!-5(541)": http://travelmapping.net/devel/datacheck.php?rg=CA

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:44:01 pm
« Reply #192 on: September 14, 2019, 07:52:58 am »
I just realized... alt labels in a preview system? Are there more?

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:42:46 pm
« Reply #193 on: September 14, 2019, 08:59:41 am »
I just realized... alt labels in a preview system? Are there more?
Does it matter?

preview allows lists to be broken without warning or update, but while we don't do updates, we don't have to break list files if we don't want to.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #194 on: September 14, 2019, 09:21:50 am »
preview allows lists to be broken without warning or update, but while we don't do updates, we don't have to break list files if we don't want to.
iawtp
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca