Author Topic: NY: NY173 waypoint request at W. Genesee St.  (Read 2003 times)

Offline dave1693

• Last Login:November 21, 2023, 11:28:54 pm
NY: NY173 waypoint request at W. Genesee St.
« on: February 21, 2019, 12:11:54 pm »
Having been up in the Syracuse area recently, it occurred to me that it might be useful to add a waypoint on NY173, between NY297 and SplRockRd, at West Genesee St. That street was NY5 prior to the completion of the Camillus/Fairmount bypass, and is still clearly marked as "TO NY5" at the intersection with NY173. It's the only realistic way to get to eastbound NY5 from NY173, and also the best way by far to get to I-690 (via NY5 and NY695). (Guess what I did while I was up there.)

So I'm asking folks if adding this waypoint would be a good idea.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
Re: NY: NY173 waypoint request at W. Genesee St.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 12:52:11 pm »
Yes, this looks like an appropriate point.
https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/2610
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline dave1693

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 06:22:00 pm »
Not sure how much importance is placed on label consistency -- the NY5 waypoint for this street has been called WGenSt, while the new waypoint on NY173 got WestGenSt.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 02:37:47 pm »
Oh, bother. Small can of worms here? Here's more than you ever wanted to know:

Label naming conventions are mostly inherited from the CHM project. One of the guidelines is to leave off non-essential directional prefixes, E.G. "East 3rd Street" would become "3rdSt", not "E3rdSt".
If it's an "essential" part of the road name, it can be left in. What exactly "essential" is has never been too clearly defined, but here's an example: the road to/through the north half of the town of Palermo, North Palermo Road.
I decided that "West" is an essential part of the road name, mostly because I didn't see any corresponding East Genesee St.
In these cases, North/South/East/West would be abbreviated like any other word in a waypoint label, IE. Nor/Sou/East/West.
(IOW, "NPalRd" on ME137 should more properly be "NorPalRd".) Early systems such as usany, usame (which were among the first state systems), or usaus went live before this rule was solidly codified/understood, and hence have a good number of NFooRd, SBarAve, EBazSt, etc. that we've not bothered to go back and "fix". Even since this guideline came into being, it's not clear how fully we've followed it, and such labels might be found in new systems as well.
"WGenSt" on NY5 is in use. I'm not too inclined to bother fixing it, though I could rename it, and use "WGenSt" as an AltLabel.
Or, if we just decided as a group that N/S/E/W are OK in labels after all...
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 02:40:39 pm »
| 6thSt | 33rdAve | SeeLn |
Ignore any non-essential direction specifier. N. 6th St becomes 6thSt. 33rd Avenue SW becomes 33rdAve. W. Seedy Lane becomes SeeLn.

| NorPkwy | SouBlvd |
But keep directions that are the main part of the road name, such as NorPkwy for Northern Parkway or SouBlvd for Southeast Boulevard.

Offline dave1693

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 10:53:22 pm »
"WGenSt" on NY5 is in use. I'm not too inclined to bother fixing it, though I could rename it, and use "WGenSt" as an AltLabel.
Or, if we just decided as a group that N/S/E/W are OK in labels after all...

If I'm the only person using the WGenSt waypoint on NY5, go ahead and change it and I'll fix my .list file accordingly. (Though I suspect others may be using the waypoint as well.)

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 03:39:30 pm »
I decided that "West" is an essential part of the road name, mostly because I didn't see any corresponding East Genesee St.
Found it. Looks like plain old GenSt should be the NY173 label.
https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/2615
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 03:46:53 pm by yakra »