Author Topic: DE: Confirmation that DE 273 at its eastern end is fine as-is  (Read 2724 times)

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:32:27 am
DE: Confirmation that DE 273 at its eastern end is fine as-is
« on: December 17, 2017, 02:26:28 pm »
As a follow-up to the linked posts from before, I finished clinching DE 273 yesterday and saw that it actually has two "END" signs EB (one at DE 141 and the other at 6th St where it actually ends).

Even though it is still confusing that there are two "END" signs, at least I can say that DE 273 was right to be left alone.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=15733.msg2118051#msg2118051

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
Re: DE: Confirmation that DE 273 at its eastern end is fine as-is
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 03:26:54 am »
Leave it to me to jump into a thread with a subject line like this and say "Is it, though?" :)

Two END signs, eh? This reminds me of a certain US Route terminus that's walking distance from where I'm sitting...
In that case, AASHTO, MDOT route logs & shapefiles all agree that US302 ends at I-295.

Quote from: yakra @ January 28, 2016, 10:41:02 AM Eastern
I saw enough signage in GMSV to convince me to leave as is.
Now, with a new END 273 sign that wasn't visible when I previously checked it out in GMSV replacing an EAST 273 sign, that's just enough to tip the scales into Gee-whiz-I-dunno-man land...
Even then, as now, signage on DE141 and Washington St had DE273 going west only.
Similarly, signage on I-295 has US302 going west only, as it did before the 2007 relocation of US1.

I downloaded some shapefiles to look into it a bit more.
On most but not all (EG, US13/DE15) concurrencies, there are multiple shapefile records at the same location, one for each route.
That's not the case for "9/273"; there's only one record, and ROUTENUMB = 9.
Suggestive of DE273 ending at DE9/141, but not 100% definitive.
Looking around the Delaware graph in the HDX, I see no other similar useless multiplex situations to use for comparison in the shapefiles. :(

Nonetheless, I think the signage on the ground at DE9/141 is enough to rule in favor of DE273 ending there. Signage at 6th St at this point may be best considered trailblazer signage that probably should have a [TO] plate but is missing it.

Quote from: yakra @ February 11, 2016, 05:29:04 PM Eastern
I wanna walk away from this one whistling casually,
I see a bit more justification for a truncation now. Will I edit stuff just yet? It's not on the top of my to-do list. While looking at the shapefiles & HDX researching this post, I found some other Delaware stuff that needs attention. That, and I still have annoyances to attend to in NJ...

Worth consideration is the site user who goes out on a road trip, and upon seeing the first END 273 sign, says "BOOM! DONE!" and turns around, only to be in for a rude surprise upon looking up DE273 in the HB.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 04:32:40 pm »
Quote from: yakra @ February 11, 2016, 05:29:04 PM Eastern
I wanna walk away from this one whistling casually,
I see a bit more justification for a truncation now. Will I edit stuff just yet? It's not on the top of my to-do list. While looking at the shapefiles & HDX researching this post, I found some other Delaware stuff that needs attention. That, and I still have annoyances to attend to in NJ...

Worth consideration is the site user who goes out on a road trip, and upon seeing the first END 273 sign, says "BOOM! DONE!" and turns around, only to be in for a rude surprise upon looking up DE273 in the HB.

Well that was how I felt in January 2016 when I was mainly using DE 273 just to get back to US 13/US 40 from DE 141 except I was seeing the "BEGIN" sign.

I could have mentioned this to the Alexs at the meet Saturday had I thought about it.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 02:20:10 am »
A Delaware road meet, eh? Did you check out construction on the US301 tollway project near Middletown?
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 04:53:44 pm »
A Delaware road meet, eh? Did you check out construction on the US301 tollway project near Middletown?

Yes, that was the main purpose of the meet.  We also went to the DE 9 and US 13 bridges over the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++