Author Topic: California outlook  (Read 4511 times)

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:24:33 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
California outlook
« on: October 31, 2021, 08:20:55 pm »
Work has begun on a realignment of part of CA 1 in Sonoma County, between Bodega Bay and CA 116. This is a three-year project to move the highway inland, to protect it from erosion of cliffs along Gleason Beach, in the Scotty Creek area. I don't know exactly where the realignment will occur, or whether it will require changes to the CA 1 route file.

CA 1 is currently a preview route. But I expect usaca will be activated before the realignment is completed, so I'm treating it as a project that may affect an active route.

UPDATE: Above changes now in the HB.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 03:40:23 pm by oscar »

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
Re: California outlook
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 02:44:28 am »
Caltrans plans to open a new alignment of CA 132 in Modesto, relocating the highway between N. Dakota Ave. and CA 99, north from Maze Blvd. to a new roadway just south of Kansas Ave. The target for opening the new segment is September 15, 2022.

CA 132 is in the usaca system. usaca is currently in preview, but may be active by the time this realignment is open to traffic.

There are longer-range plans to extend the new alignment about five more miles west, to Gates Rd. The target for that extension is 2026.

In other news, construction is underway on a new expressway between San Juan Bautista and Hollister, in San Benito County. The five mile-long expressway will be parallel to the existing CA 156 highway, which will become a frontage road for the new CA 156 segment. The expected completion reportedly will be sometime in fall 2024.

As noted recently in the usaca thread, Caltrans is relocating CA 58, between I-5 and CA 99, from the Rosedale Highway corridor in the Bakersfield area south to the Stockdale Highway/Westside Parkway corridor. There is still a gap in the latter, between the Westside Parkway and CA 99. Construction of a new freeway to fill that gap is under way, with completion expected sometime in 2023. That will finish the reroute of CA 58 in the Bakersfield area.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 09:02:13 pm by oscar »

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 12:54:21 am »
Finally, some progress on relocating CA 1 in Oxnard, to formally place it on the Rice Avenue bypass of downtown Oxnard:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=6208.msg2810353#msg2810353

Seems not to be completely official yet (for one thing, not yet shown on Caltrans' Postmile Query Tool). Maybe the new signage is ninjasignage? But still something to watch.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 03:54:36 pm by oscar »

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 05:55:15 pm »
As noted recently in the usaca thread, Caltrans is relocating CA 58, between I-5 and CA 99, from the Rosedale Highway corridor in the Bakersfield area south to the Stockdale Highway/Westside Parkway corridor. There is still a gap in the latter, between the Westside Parkway and CA 99. Construction of a new freeway to fill that gap is under way, with completion expected sometime in 2023. That will finish the reroute of CA 58 in the Bakersfield area.

The CA 58 reroute is expected to be completed next month, with the ribbon-cutting planned for February 9, and opened to traffic (first bicyclists, then motorists) on Saturday, February 10.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 04:51:52 pm by oscar »

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2024, 11:40:27 pm »
^ The Centennial Corridor connector didn't open today as had been expected. No new opening date yet.

https://www.kget.com/news/local-news/centennial-corridor-finally-cuts-a-ribbon-but-freeways-green-light-is-still-a-few-days-away/

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2024, 09:42:57 pm »
The Centennial Corridor reportedly opened to traffic yesterday between the Westside Parkway and the part of CA 58 east of CA 99. That means there now is a new continuous route for CA 58 through the Bakersfield area, between its west end at US 101 and its east end at I-15.

https://www.kget.com/news/local-news/centennial-corridor-opens-connecting-highway-58-to-westside-parkway/

The new ramps between the Centennial Corridor and CA 99 are not yet open. We can still move CA 58 to its new I-5/Stockdale Hwy/Westside Pkwy/Centennial alignment, without waiting for the ramps to and from CA 99 to open.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 09:45:44 pm by oscar »