Author Topic: cansf: Canada Select Named Freeways  (Read 74295 times)

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 06:11:34 am
cansf: Canada Select Named Freeways
« on: January 19, 2016, 11:40:23 pm »
I wish we could activate the 'Select Named Canadian Highways' system.  Ontario has a ton of thise that qualify and are already on GitHub.  This would also help fix the duplication of the Gardiner and DVP being in the wrong system and active on the site.

Edited after splitting thread to change subject from "Re: Finishing Canada and USA state/province/territorial highways" to "cannf: Canada Select Named Freeways". -Eric/yakra
Edited after activation, subject changed from "cannf: Canada Select Named Freeways" to "cansf: Canada Select Named Freeways". michih
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 03:30:38 pm by michih »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
Re: Re: Finishing Canada and USA state/province/territorial highways
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 12:36:59 am »
I wish we could activate the 'Select Named Canadian Highways' system.  Ontario has a ton of thise that qualify and are already on GitHub.  This would also help fix the duplication of the Gardiner and DVP being in the wrong system and active on the site.
Not saying "I am for this", but...
I am not against this. :)

Edit: At the very least, I'm in favor of it being in the HB as an in-devel system. I may make a cannf_con.csv. Or maybe someone else will beat me to it. Gotta check whether there are Route/Root conflicts between cannf and canonf, mumble mumble...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:42:05 am by yakra »
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 11:43:23 am »
• I would want to delete a lot of the Alberta routes that aren't actual freeways.
• Queen Elizabeth Way isn't in cannf. What system should it be part of?
• SK CirDr is out-of-date; the road is now a complete loop.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 08:55:56 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 05:52:42 pm »
Most of the AB routes that aren't actually freeways would ultimately fall into the main canab system, right?

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 11:15:04 am »
Most of the AB routes that aren't actually freeways would ultimately fall into the main canab system, right?
In cannf in AB, there's only CroTrl, which partially overlaps with AB1ACoc.
As the file stands now, there's a small and incomplete overlap between the two, which wouldn't be picked up by multiplex detection (waypoints at different streets). It looks like the Crowchild Trail designation extends as far northwest as AB AB1ACoc 12MileRd.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:47:31 am
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 07:04:36 pm »

Let's at least get that system up as a devel system.  If some basic fixes are made, I'm sure we can quickly take it to preview, and perhaps soon after, active.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 07:44:42 pm »

Let's at least get that system up as a devel system.  If some basic fixes are made, I'm sure we can quickly take it to preview, and perhaps soon after, active.
There are no Route/Root conflicts between cannf and canonf. Once this system goes live, the old canonf route names can become AltRouteNames, e.g. ONDVP for DonValPkwy.
How about I bang together a cannf_con.csv?

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:47:31 am
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 07:58:56 pm »
How about I bang together a cannf_con.csv?

Go for it!  I expect to be able to run a site update in a bit.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 08:10:51 pm »
Pull request will be in in the next few minutes.
Edit: https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/368
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:32:25 pm by yakra »

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 12:17:29 am »

I think it should stay where it is.  It is officially part of the 400 series in Ontario unlike the other 2 routes that are currently in that network.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 01:00:50 am »
(Why did I ask the question if I think I have an answer? :P)

I think it should stay where it is.  It is officially part of the 400 series in Ontario unlike the other 2 routes that are currently in that network.
I got the opposite impression on reading your "this would be the best place" comment on GitHub. :) But anyway...
I'm not convinced. By this logic, CANNST should contain both the Bedford Bypass and Cabot Trail. It's a signed vs. unsigned thing -- It's not *signed as* an ON4xx route.

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
Re: cannf: Canada Select Named Freeways
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 01:17:56 am »
Well, for the QEW to stay where it is, it has this going for it unlike your other examples:
  • it's 100% a provincial highway
  • it uses the same style of shield as all other provincial highways (minus the special colors) under 500 (which is where secondary numbering starts)
  • we officially call that network "Ontario Provincial Freeways", not "Ontario Provincial Numbered Freeways", thus the QEW does fit in with that network

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 10:55:32 am »
Not as unlike my examples as you might think:
  • CabTrl BedByp and are both 100% provincial highways, Trunk 30 & Trunk 33 respectively. (Northwest Arm Drive is Trunk 32.)
  • Save for usansf, usaus & usausb, no systems are called "numbered" anything. It's implied and understood: that system which appears to Joe Traveler on the same style of numbered shield. If we wanted to have "numbered" in a system name to limit their scope to such, with those systems not specifying "numbered" having anything that's state/prov highway... usanh would have the Circ, usame would have the SoPo METpk spur & Scarborough Connector...
  • Shield style is the most convincing argument. I'd been too distracted by the colors to notice that it's the same shape shield before... :\ (Historically, the Cabot Trail had the same shield shape as the rest of the trunk routes, just with "Cabot Trail" text instead of a number. Not mentioning this to argue for or against anything in particular, more to just note a neato historic thing.)

Online si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:02:23 am
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 10:20:38 am »
Looking through the routes currently in cannf

AB BedTrl (Beddington Trail) - no reason to be in the system
AB CroTrl (Crowchild Trail) - goes a lot further NW (12 Mile Coulee Rd) though this is the unnumbered bit, all but the middle bit (Kensington Rd - 24th Ave) is actually freeway
AB GroRd (Groat Road) - no reason to be in the system
AB SheParkFwy (Sherwood Park Freeway) - a reasonable inclusion (though is also AB100), though bit east of AB216 doesn't have the name.
AB TerDr (Terwillinger Drive) - it would be worthy of inclusion if the mainline was build, but it isn't. Ditch it.
AB WayGreDr (Wayne Gretzky Drive) - partially freeway (101Ave - 118Ave) but that's only two junctions at the river crossing. Maybe
BC GolEarsWay (Golden Ears Way) - middle section (192St to BC7) is freeway, but rest isn't. Maybe
BC KniSt (Knight Street) - section in browser is freeway, but Knight Street is surface streets for a good long while further north. Maybe
NS BedByp (Bedford Bypass) - Keep
ON AllRd (Allen Road) - Allen Rd goes a mile further north as surface street. Keep?
ON DonValPkwy (Don Valley Parkway) - Keep
ON ECRowExpy (EC Row Expressway) - Keep (needs a tweak or two?)
ON GarExpy (Gardiner Expressway) - Keep
ON LinAlePkwy (Lincoln M. Alexander Parkway) - Keep
ON RedHillPkwy (Red Hill Valley Parkway) - Keep
ON RR174 (Queensway) - Queensway goes further into Carlington (as 417 Freeway), RR174 goes further east as surface. Needs sorting, but general idea is a keeper
SK CirDr (Circle Drive) - needs extending, but keep.

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 02:59:54 pm »
ON ECRowExpy (EC Row Expressway) - Keep (needs a tweak or two?)

Nope, it's the full route in the HB already.  Maybe need to recenter the eastern end, but that's about it for it.