Author Topic: User uploads  (Read 8817 times)

Offline pderocco

• Last Login:February 06, 2024, 03:41:59 am
User uploads
« on: October 28, 2023, 01:53:26 am »
If Travel Mapping had simple passworded accounts, I would think it would be pretty easy to allow a user named xyz to upload a file called xyz.list to a processing directory, from whence the server could automatically process it and make it visible. It would be really nice if we could see the results of our additions within a minute or so. And it would eliminate the need for Jim or anyone to do this manually.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:00:27 am
Re: User uploads
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 02:11:00 am »

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:54:59 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 06:51:04 am »
Two thoughts related to this:

- As long as the TM server resides on my research server hosted by my employer, I am strictly limiting who has write access to any part of it.
- We can get much of this functionality with automated merges and pulls from GitHub in what I believe would be a much more secure process.  It wouldn't give results in a minute, since a site update process takes several minutes, mostly to reload the databases.  I am thinking more along the lines of hourly updates.  I am still very hesitant on the automated merges of GH pull requests, so this might be accomplished by having several people with ability to merge PRs, and those changes would go into the next automated update.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:00:27 am
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 11:02:00 am »
having several people with ability to merge PRs, and those changes would go into the next automated update.

Sounds great!

Offline pderocco

• Last Login:February 06, 2024, 03:41:59 am
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 04:46:36 am »
I'm curious: why are everyone's .list files stored in GitHub? I understand why the software is; that's what GitHub is for. But .list files? Why is it necessary to maintain a history of updates? Isn't just storing the latest version of each file all that's necessary? That would eliminate the whole process of pull requests.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:54:59 pm
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 07:17:06 am »
I'm curious: why are everyone's .list files stored in GitHub? I understand why the software is; that's what GitHub is for. But .list files? Why is it necessary to maintain a history of updates? Isn't just storing the latest version of each file all that's necessary? That would eliminate the whole process of pull requests.

The history isn't essential, though many users, including me, put in meaningful commit messages about changes to our files.

It was chosen because we were already going to use it for the site update software, the web front end code, and the highway data.  I saw no reason to use a different solution for user data.

I am open to suggestions about other ways to store them that would work better.

Offline dave1693

• Last Login:November 21, 2023, 11:28:54 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2023, 02:46:42 pm »
I personally was using CVS to maintain a history of my .list file dating back to whenever it was I started with CHM. So I myself am quite thankful for the choice to use GitHub for storing .list fines on TM. YMMV.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2023, 11:35:55 pm »
^ One thing I love about git is the ability to go back thru the history & blame and see when and in what context a given line was added or edited.

It's great for source code, though I bet most people will not make heavy use of it for .list files. Still, it's a tool at our disposal for answering "What else was I doing on that road trip; how did I get there?" type questions.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca