Author Topic: usatr: United States select tourist routes  (Read 2372 times)

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:53:12 pm
Re: usatr: United States select tourist routes
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2024, 04:45:49 pm »
OH LinHwyAsh leaves US 42 thru Windsor (west end).

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:30:51 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2024, 05:03:24 pm »
I noticed something interesting in Maryland on the National Road.  There's a point west of Baltimore where MD 144 ends in the middle of a National Road segment that doesn't have a point on the National Road.

I'd be interested to see what's not already covered from the routes in New York Scenic Byways: https://www.dot.ny.gov/display/programs/scenic-byways/lists

I'm guessing its going to be similar to what @neroute2 found for All-American Roads, that it would be almost all concurrent with routes we already have.

I thought this system was going to be mainly multi-state routes, not getting down into the weeds of what every state considers a scenic byway?  And unfortunately I'm unaware of any GIS-based map of these things that would make it easy to pin down exact alignments.  There's also the fact that many of these aren't traditional routes that go from point A to point B... they branch and have spurs all over the place (ugh).

There is a surprisingly large amount of scenic byway mileage in NY that isn't concurrent with the touring route system.  I swear, if you make me drive all the way out to far eastern Long Island again... looks like I'm losing my 100% of NY for the next several years at this rate.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:07:55 pm
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2024, 05:23:29 pm »
I noticed something interesting in Maryland on the National Road.  There's a point west of Baltimore where MD 144 ends in the middle of a National Road segment that doesn't have a point on the National Road.

It's a hidden point on NatRd, so concurrency detection will still work. This is because there's no intersection there, that section of MD 144 ends at the county line.

I thought this system was going to be mainly multi-state routes, not getting down into the weeds of what every state considers a scenic byway?

There is no officially defined scope at this point. I had suggested this upthread precisely because I don't like that level of getting down into the weeds either, but it is still open for discussion.

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:53:12 pm
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2024, 06:57:52 pm »
Oregon Trail in Oregon:

exit 193 to exit 168: Echo Road, Thielsen Street, Oregon Trail Road, OR 207, Bombing Range Road all the way to I-84

exit 87 to Oregon City (Barlow Road Route): US 197 (including around Dufur), Tygh Valley Road, Wamic Market Road, NF 48, OR 35, Barlow Pass, OR 35, US 26 (can't find any signs at the old alignments), OR 211, OR 224, Bakers Ferry Road, Springwater Road, Hattan Road, Gronlund Road, Bradley Road, Holcomb Boulevard (this sign got turned around), Abernethy Road to end at Washington Street

Grass Valley (or farther east??) to Tygh Valley (Barlow Road Cutoff): OR 216 to the main Barlow Road at US 197

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:02:08 am
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2024, 04:30:55 pm »
The main Lincoln Highway in Ohio uses Leesville Rd (west and east of OH 598) and Mabee Rd in Ontario (east of OH 314). These are part of the route signed as the main line, not branches or loops.

Leesville Rd (west) (at 598) (east)

Mabee Rd (west) (east)

(edit: neroute2 already pointed out the route on Windsor Rd)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 04:33:17 pm by mapcat »
Clinched:

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:02:08 am
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2024, 10:39:40 pm »
In Indiana, ORSB and LCTrl both have a point in Clarksville that is probably in the wrong spot. BroStaWay_E should mark the turn at Randolph Ave instead of North Clark Blvd.

Looks like the ORSB was changed, but the LCTrl wasn't.
Clinched:

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:00:05 pm
« Reply #126 on: Yesterday at 12:47:35 am »
IA Lincoln Highway:
Signs east of Lisbon do not seem to have been updated (as of September 2023) for the realignment of US 30 Bus. Do you have any sources showing the backtrack on Kirkwood? If not, I'd recommend using as much of the old alignment as possible via Adams and Old Lincoln to Charles.

Everything else looks perfect :)
See my post from April 6.
There are currently two gaps in the route due to closed roads in the IA 17 and Lisbon areas. I’m in a protracted debate/struggle with the Iowa LHA on this as the Iowa DOT wants to re-sign the route this year, I have some changes across the state based on my research, and any major changes have to take into account its national byway designation. What's there in those two places is fine for now but I hope to have them changed in the field.