Poll

Should the Lady Bird Johnson Park section of the GW Pkwy:

be a separate DC file (per usanp)
9 (69.2%)
be part of a joined-together VA file (per usasf)
3 (23.1%)
other (please say)
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: George Washington Parkway  (Read 5772 times)

Offline dave1693

• Last Login:November 21, 2023, 11:28:54 pm
Re: George Washington Parkway
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 01:03:00 am »
That said, if we are going to keep the DC I-95 and I-495 segments, they should definitely be recentered.  And recentered on the bridge median instead of being located in the outer loop local lanes where they currently exist.
Agreed.

the Woodrow Wilson Bridges are jointly owned by MD SHA and VDOT.  DC has zero ownership in the new bridges.  One argument I'd make in favor of eliminating the DC segment of I-95 and I-495.
Disagree. If a road physically exists within a region, it exists within a region, regardless of who owns or maintains it, etc.

I also disagree. For supporting evidence, I note that the mile markers *on* the WW Bridge reset TWICE -- the DC mileage (all 0.8 miles of it) is marked separately from the VA and MD mileage, though it's not obvious. You have to look for it, and there's no marker at the DC/MD line.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 12:41:11 pm »
^ That must be new since I left the area, because there were NO DC milemarkers on the bridge at all when I lived in Huntington.

Quote from: yakra
I hope you're not using that aphorism to argue in favor of removing DC I-95/495...

I'm not...but it certainly fit your response to me.  The DC I-95/495 points have already been well-established for awhile now and are technically accurate.  The confusion removing them would cause exceeds any benefits that would be gained.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 12:46:08 pm by froggie »

Offline dharwood

• Last Login:June 05, 2022, 12:41:54 pm
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 09:40:48 pm »
I believe that DC segments should be shown for both the GW Parkway and I-95/495.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2018, 12:09:33 am »
Phew!
*wipes brow*
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline dave1693

• Last Login:November 21, 2023, 11:28:54 pm
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 07:18:51 pm »
^ That must be new since I left the area, because there were NO DC milemarkers on the bridge at all when I lived in Huntington.

The WW Bridge milemarkers appears a short time after the bridge redo was completed. The catch is that the DC milemarkers look EXACTLY like the MD milemarkers... what gives it away is:
1) heading from VA to MD, you get mile markers up through 0.8 (IIRC) and then the next marker is either 0.2 or 0.4;
2) heading from MD to VA, the milemarkers descend to either 0.4 or 0.2 and it's obvious that 0.0, which is not posted, is in the middle of the bridge, which is followed (IIRC) by another 0.8 milemarker, then 0.6, 0.4, possibly 0.2, and next you see a VA milemarker with 177 point something.

That is, however, all irrelevant to the GW Parkway. I haven't voted in the poll because I don't have a strong opinion either way.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:26:16 pm
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 07:47:08 pm »
One thing I will assert with certainty: for sake of accuracy there definitely needs to be a DC segment, and the route definitely needs to be split.

What's more indigestion-inducing is the question of where to have the DC/VA point. There is a full half-mile where southbound is in VA while northbound is in DC, and splitting the difference isn't an option since this half-mile section is a tangle of ramps with access points to and from multiple directions.

There is no perfect solution here, but I am generally on board with the way usanp maps it, following the "median"(ish) while keeping the route in DC for the portion where it's only actually in DC northbound. In addition to the previously provided argument of most of the ramps being in DC, I will also add in support of this that by standard convention northbound is the direction of index.

The US 50 point needs to move south a bit though.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2018, 11:59:41 pm »

The WW Bridge milemarkers appears a short time after the bridge redo was completed. The catch is that the DC milemarkers look EXACTLY like the MD milemarkers... what gives it away is:
1) heading from VA to MD, you get mile markers up through 0.8 (IIRC) and then the next marker is either 0.2 or 0.4;
2) heading from MD to VA, the milemarkers descend to either 0.4 or 0.2 and it's obvious that 0.0, which is not posted, is in the middle of the bridge, which is followed (IIRC) by another 0.8 milemarker, then 0.6, 0.4, possibly 0.2, and next you see a VA milemarker with 177 point something.

That is, however, all irrelevant to the GW Parkway. I haven't voted in the poll because I don't have a strong opinion either way.

I have to question those milemarkers considering the 0.8 marker on the Outer Loop Local Lanes is both before Milepost 178 and clearly within Virginia.  I don't think any of the mileposts you're referring to are physically within the DC portion of the bridge.  Nevermind that even the bridge bike/ped path, which would technically have more "mileage" in DC because of the angle of the DC/MD border, has less than 0.1 mile within DC.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 04:02:05 pm »
Summary: The George Washington Parkway is currently active in usasf, but in preview in usanp. When the National Park highways system is activated, then the 'select freeways' version will be removed. The usasf version does not split at the VA/DC border, while the usanp version does. Which way should we have it?

George Washington Parkway was deleted and replaced by usanp route last Sunday. Can this thread be closed now?

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:03:23 pm
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 04:19:05 pm »
I thought it had already been categorized as 'solved'. Done now.