Author Topic: CA: CA19 issues  (Read 776 times)

Offline pderocco

• Last Login:February 06, 2024, 03:41:59 am
CA: CA19 issues
« on: September 21, 2023, 12:49:38 am »
California route 19 is shown in Travel Mapping with its original route, from route 1 at the traffic circle all the way up to Foothill Blvd. Most of that has been relinquished for at least a decade. I haven't driven it to see if the signs have been taken down, but cahighways.org shows it unrelinquished roughly between CA-91 and I-105. Oddly, the CalTrans postmile tool doesn't show it existing at all, anywhere, so I don't know what's authoritative here.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:41:05 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
Re: CA: CA19 issues
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 04:58:15 am »
^ The Postmile Tool shows route 164 (which is signed as 19, if at all) as unrelinquished at least between Whittier Narrows and Rosemead.

I'm inclined to wait for 19, including the 164 segment(s), to be relinquished to death before removing it in toto from the HB. The route clearly is living on borrowed time, and is exactly the kind of route Caltrans wants gone from its system.

I have driven all of what's in the HB as route 19. There is spotty route 19 reassurance signage on the route itself, as well as some signage on intersecting freeways. I've seen zero 164 signage.

Offline pderocco

• Last Login:February 06, 2024, 03:41:59 am
Re: CA: CA19 issues
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 01:35:12 am »
For many roads, I've tried to drive old alignments, just because I'm obsessive-compulsive. And it can be interesting. I haven't done all the relinquished parts of 19, though, and driving miles of traffic lights isn't my idea of a pleasant ride.

Some old alignments seem important enough to perhaps have a category here. But that's a big rabbit hole you can go down. I can't quite count the old US-395 alignments I've driven from San Diego to past Reno, including a couple with weeds growing up through the cracks. And I don't think you have to do that in order to regard a route as "clinched".