Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Updates to Highway Data / Re: LA: LA33 Point Request
« Last post by mikeandkristie on Today at 09:30:08 am »
Thank you.

Mike
Updates to Highway Data / Re: TN: TN-385 should be split?
« Last post by rickmastfan67 on Today at 04:11:53 am »
It's not clear what would be gained by this. 385 isn't on the signs or mileposts, but Tennessee often doesn't sign state highway concurrencies. Both segments that are signed 385 are in the same county, only about 17 miles apart.

However, there's clear 'END/BEGIN' signage for TN-385.

I mean, there's no signage saying 'TN-385 follow I-269' signage which could imply a multiplex to be honest.

I would also recommend that the same treatment be done for TN-162, as it also has clear 'END/BEGIN' signage at it's southern junction with I-140.
I’d like to try peer reviewing this system, if that’s alright. This will be my first peer review, so I welcome any advice or criticism if I’m doing something wrong.

I’d also welcome any good sources – primary or otherwise – if si404 or anybody else knows of any. For the first few routes I’ve started reviewing, I’ve mainly been using their Wikipedia pages, a government document from 2012 titled South African Numbered Route Description and Destination Analysis (henceforth referred to as the RDDA) which is the principal source cited on those Wikipedia pages, and – above all – Google Street View. There are obvious downsides to these sources: The RDDA is now 12 years out of date, and signage visible on GSV is sometimes deficient (particularly – I’ve noticed – in and around Johannesburg, which also happens to be where the highest density of routes is).

In addition to pointing out errors, I plan to give options for replacing shaping points with visible points, wherever I can find a convenient intersection, and to provide a potential name for said new points. I’ve also begun my review under the assumption that we want a point at every Metropolitan Route because they may get added to TM eventually, as briefly implied in the zafn thread.

R21:
N1: Exit is numbered as 134, albeit based off of N1’s exit number.
N12: Exit is numbered as 429, albeit based off N12’s exit number
Consider a point where R21 turns at the intersection of Rietfontein Road and Rondebult Road.
ComSt: Commissioner Street is M46.
There’s a ramp from eastbound Commissioner Street (M46) onto R21 just west of LeeRd.
LeeRd: Should be LeeSt.
M43: Should this be M43_S? Exit 41 would be M43_N if not for the exit number.
Wikipedia, OSM, and the RDDA say R21 then runs concurrently with M43 southwest to N3, but there are no signs indicating this. so I think the route we have is correct.
R22:
Man: This point is not at an intersection, but it is just south of one.
MseAir: Signed as D1885.
Mse: Signed as P444.
+X789427: You could swap this for a visible point at D852 without moving it much.
Mbo: Signed as P446/748. (Also, it should be “Mba” if named after the town.)
D675: D675_N
+X470579: Could be replaced with a visible point a bit south at D675_S.
P746: Signed as P476. OSM appears to be wrong.
+X562592: You could swap this for a visible point at D540 without moving it much.
+X971823: You could swap this for a visible point at P2-8 without moving it much. Also, this is the only KwaZulu-Natal Main/P Road intersecting R22 currently without a point.
R23:
Wikipedia says R23’s northern terminus is at M57. The RDDA says R23’s northern terminus is R21. (The latter is what we currently have in TM.) Signs at R21 and at Monument Road say R23 continues north toward M57. The signs at M57 say that R23 does not reach M57.
+X588400: Could be replaced with a visible point at 8th Ave/7th Road.
M45: Should be M45_N. M45 is concurrent with R23 until Celia Nestadt Road, which does not currently have a point.
MainRd: Main Road is M44.
Missing points at M56_N (Lancaster Road), M56_S (New Kleinfontein Road), and M46 (Airport Road) between SnaRd_N and N17.
R546: R546_S
R24:
Oli: Should be 3rdAve.
+X715393: You could swap this for a visible point without moving it much, but I don’t know what you’d name it. I don’t know what the name of the road is at that curve, but it’s rather illogically signed for Hekpoort, so you could name the point Hek. Alternately, Google Maps says the vicinity of that intersection is called Maanhaarrand, so you could name the point Maa.
+X758929: Another good candidate to be replaced by a visible point at the road just to the north. Said road is the third in under 12 km signed for Hekpoort. Good luck with naming this one.
M36_E: Should be M36. M36 runs concurrently with R24 east from this point to Barratt Road, which currently does not have a point.
MainReefRd: Should be MainReefRd_W.
Missing a point at M67 (Cortlett Avenue) between R558 and CroDr.
CroDr: Should be WilSt.
M18: Should be ComRd. Commando Road is not M18.
Consider adding points where R24 turns at New Castle Road.
Missing points at M5_W (Du Toit Avenue) and M5_E.
R41: I think the eastern terminus of R41 is wrong. While the route we have in TM matches Google Maps and Wikipedia’s route description, the RDDA and OSM have R41 following Marshall Street and Anderson Street to Simmonds Street, and then becoming R29. Signs on Sauer Street (one block west of Simmonds) match this latter routing, and I couldn’t find any signs matching the former. Therefore, this point should be MainReefRd_E.
N12_E: Should this be N12(420)?
R21: Exit is numbered as 46, albeit based off R21’s exit number.
« Last post by Markkos1992 on Yesterday at 07:37:20 pm »
Splitting TN 385 could argue that TN 162 should be split too (because of lack of signage along I-140).
Updates to Highway Data / Re: LA: LA33 Point Request
« Last post by mapcat on Yesterday at 05:48:11 pm »
Updates to Highway Data / Re: TN: I-40/I-240 graph connection issue
« Last post by mapcat on Yesterday at 05:46:49 pm »
There was already a shaping point there. I-240 and I-69 Future junction moved to match I-40. https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/7345
« Last post by mapcat on Yesterday at 05:40:32 pm »
It's not clear what would be gained by this. 385 isn't on the signs or mileposts, but Tennessee often doesn't sign state highway concurrencies. Both segments that are signed 385 are in the same county, only about 17 miles apart.
Welcome & Notices / Re: Site update schedule interruptions
« Last post by Jim on April 17, 2024, 11:18:47 am »
Crazy week here, so I never finished the site update launch last night that I thought I ran.  It's running now.
Updates to Highway Data / Re: FL 13 truncated, maybe?
« Last post by rickmastfan67 on April 17, 2024, 10:08:43 am »
Hmm, yeah, I think they just posted it where they could coming up to the interchange on the North side of the bridge.

So, no change.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10